School me on shotguns

Erik88

I'm thinking about picking up a shotgun for home defense only. I won't be doing any hunting or anything else with it. I have 2 questions.

What are the best shells for home defense, and what do you think about the models below. I only picked them because they were reasonably priced.

Here are 2 models I've been looking at made by Mossberg. Does anyone prefer a pistol grip on a shotgun?

Mossberg 50411 500SP 12 18 CB 6SH SYN PGK for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $315.00

Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12g 20" 8rnd CB PG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $321.00

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik,

This is a repost of my reply to a similar question a while back. It should get you started. Also, we're running a General Defensive Shotgun course on May 1st if that might be of interest to you.

You're right, Sarah....this is a wide open area of discussion.

There are a range of issues you'll need to narrow down as you go - manufacturer, pump or semi-auto, gauge, size of the gun's stock and its length of pull (are you short or tall ?), and what kind of ammunition you will stoke the gun with for Home Defense.

First of all, Remington and Mossberg are far and away the most popular Home Defense shotgun makers. The Remington 870 is the "Coke" of the HD shotgun world and the Mossberg 500/590 is the "Pepsi". Both are reliable, and will do the job you need. They are very similar - the primary difference being the location of the safety.

Other, less pricy guns you could consider are Charles Daly, and Maverick (made by Mossberg).

Generally, semi-automatic shotguns offer less recoil, but may have trouble cycling some loads. Semi's are also more finicky about maintenance and cleaning. Pump guns, on the other hand, will push you a little more but will usually run any ammunition you put in it.

The size of your gun's stock and it's length of pull are crucial. If your gun doesn't fit you, it will hurt you and you won't practice with it. If you're shorter of stature, you may want to consider youth stocks.

Both Remington and Mossberg make 20 gauge, downsized shotguns for youth and small female shooters. These are capable of performing well in a Home Defense role.

As far as ammunition.........? Much of that depends on if you live on a farm or in an apartment building. 00 buck is considered the "gold standard" of 12 gauge HD ammunition, but again there are a tremendous amount of variables, and this is an area where there is less than a unanimous opinion.

This should get you started. If you're near Middle Tennessee, we're offering a class called General Defensive Shotgun on April 19. That might be of interest to you.

Hope this helps............good luck.

To address your specific questions, the Mossberg 500 you link is a fine example of a Home Defense shotgun. I, and many other shotgun fans and trainers, frown upon pistol-grip only (PGO) shotguns. PGO shotguns look hella cool in Terminator movies, but in real life, they are not a pleasure to shoot, and if it hurts, you won't practice with it.

As for HD ammunition, the spectrum can range from birdshot to 000 buck to possibly even slugs, depending on a variety of circumstances.

Look around here for pictures and reviews of our General Defensive Shotgun course.

Thank you for your help. I would love to take your class but it is right around final exam time at UT.

No finals on a Saturday :bat:

I'm messin' with ya - I understand. I would encourage you, however, at your first chance to get in on a quality Defensive Shotgun course somewhere. A common myth is "I don't need any training - it's just a shotgun" and I totally reject that style of thinking.

Good luck and let me know if I can help. :stick:

No finals on a Saturday :bat:

I'm messin' with ya - I understand. I would encourage you, however, at your first chance to get in on a quality Defensive Shotgun course somewhere. A common myth is "I don't need any training - it's just a shotgun" and I totally reject that style of thinking.

Good luck and let me know if I can help. :stick:

No I completely agree with you. I would also like to take the defensive handgun workshop. Hopefully this summer I can take a few. Thanks again.

Erik88,

I am a big fan of the Benelli Super Nova with the pistol grip and ghost ring sights. I could tell you why I prefer it (I have two) but you would have to try it for yourself to determine how it responds to you. Suffice it to say, it just feels good and points well.

Erik88,

I am a big fan of the Benelli Super Nova with the pistol grip and ghost ring sights. I could tell you why I prefer it (I have two) but you would have to try it for yourself to determine how it responds to you. Suffice it to say, it just feels good and points well.

Thanks, I'll look into that one. And I'm from Lenoir City also, wouldn't be surprised if we knew each other.

Guest jackdm3

From all of the suggestions so far, I would have to pick that Remmy 870. It's close to my Winchester 1300 Defender, but I have 7+1. You should strongly consider large capacity. I haven't bought a side saddle or stock/butt ammo holder, but you can get really nuts and store extra shells literally everywhere on the shotgun. Classes will lead you to a favorable setup.

Erik, might want to also check out the Pardner Pump protector made by H&R. It its right around $200 takes 870 accessories except for the barrel. Its not a big deal though seeing it already comes with the 18 inch barrel. It has 5+1 capacity and gets really good reviews overall.

Guest mikedwood

Remmington or Mossberg you can't really go wrong. Both are really good guns.

The great thing about 500's and 870's is they are like a 1911 or AR. There are tons of aftermarket things you can do to them if you wish later on. If they have something for the 870 they generally have it for the 500.

Or you can even leave them stock.

As far as loads everyone seems to have a different opinion, but you can not shoot slugs out of a full choke barrel.

Look for a 590, the (non A1 model is fine, less $$). It is what I have, 8+1, loves slugs and has been rock solid for at least 1k shots. Came with the speed feed stock, so it will hold 4 more in the stock, not as fast as a side saddle but I like options. Plus, they are there if you need them. Can't go wrong with an 870 or Nova either, I'm just partial to to the 590 :up:

About loads: I run the Remington Value Pack 00 buck loads from Wally World, because I know how they pattern and I have shot lots of them through the gun. I keep slugs in the speed feed just in case, and if I'm really feeling squirrely I may load 5 or 6 00 and the last 2 or 3 slugs, but I generally like knowing for sure what is coming out the end of the gun, so I'm not a huge fan of mix loading the tube. I don't want to shoot a slug when expecting 00 or vice versa.

Edited by RoDan

I am no expert tactical shotgunner (or 'expert tactical' anything, for that matter) so take this as just my .02:

I have a Maverick Security 88 as my HD shotgun. As was mentioned, Maverick is made by Mossberg and the 88 is basically an 'economy' version of the Mossberg 500, just a few bucks cheaper, and many aftermarket parts for the 500 will work on the 88 - for my purposes, the differences are negligible. I have the 20 inch barrel model which bumps the tube capacity up by one over the 18.5 inch model. The Security 88 model is a cylinder bore (basically, wide open choke.) Unless I am mistaken, there are also field models of the 88 but I already had shotguns for hunting so went with the more HD oriented Security model.

Like RoDan, I generally just use the Remington 00 loads from Walmart. From my shotgun, they give a pattern of about nine inches in spread when fired from 10-12 yards or so.

I personally don't like the idea of a pistol grip only shotgun for such use. My brother in law has a pistol grip only shotgun (just for fun) and you would be surprised at how easy it is to miss a target when shooting from the hip from a few yards away - yes, you do have to aim (actually, point if the bead is used) a shotgun. I like the factory stock on mine just fine but might swap it out for the thumbhole stock that Mossberg offers. Other than that, I have a light with remote button switch and a simple sling on mine and consider it ready to go.

I've had the Mossy your looking at as well a A Pardner Pump (870 clone) and I would go with an 870 or a Pardner Pump. The Pardner Pump is cheaper but on par with the quality of the Remy 870 (same parent company and both are made at the same factory). Really good deal and it won't break you college bank. Got mine at Dicks for $215.

Guest smileyguy

Just don't go with the pistol grip only. Too hard to shoot accurately.

As far as manufacturer, I love Mossies. I prefer the tang safety and position of the slide release, but I also own a Chinese 870 clone (flame suit on). I suggest handling various models and see what feels good to YOU. Don't let anyone talk you into Rem over Moss or Benelli over Rem.... They are all quality guns. Get the one that fits you.

Ammo: I load 00 buck all the way. If you live in situation where over penetration is a concern, #7 or 8 birdshot will not penetrate more than one layer of dry wall. That said I have concerns about penetration of birdshot into a human as well. I would place 1 or 2 birdshot shells followed by 00 buck just in case.

Just don't go with the pistol grip only. Too hard to shoot accurately.

As far as manufacturer, I love Mossies. I prefer the tang safety and position of the slide release, but I also own a Chinese 870 clone (flame suit on). I suggest handling various models and see what feels good to YOU. Don't let anyone talk you into Rem over Moss or Benelli over Rem.... They are all quality guns. Get the one that fits you.

Ammo: I load 00 buck all the way. If you live in situation where over penetration is a concern, #7 or 8 birdshot will not penetrate more than one layer of dry wall. That said I have concerns about penetration of birdshot into a human as well. I would place 1 or 2 birdshot shells followed by 00 buck just in case.

Hawk 982 is the chinese clone I believe you spoke of. They are mighty fine shotguns also and can be had cheaply. I believe Buds Gun Shop has them right now for $180ish, they come with ghost rings already too which is a big plus IMO.
Guest smileyguy
Hawk 982 is the chinese clone I believe you spoke of. They are mighty fine shotguns also and can be had cheaply. I believe Buds Gun Shop has them right now for $180ish, they come with ghost rings already too which is a big plus IMO.

Yes it is the Hawk 982. The Pardner Protector, also made in China, is basically the same gun. Yes it is a fine weapon. I've heard some of the Chinese shotguns, like the Ultra 87, are not quiet as quality, but they nailed the 982.

Commies don't do much well, but they can make a good, reliable gun - Mosin Nagants, Tokarevs, Makarovs, PPSh, SKS, Kalashnikovs.

• 2 weeks later...

Mossberg 500A, rescued from a field after a tornado. New 18 1/2" barrel, Hogue overmold stock, Limb-eaze recoil pad and Trijicon night bead. I am a small guy and I can shoot 00 Buck all day without discomfort. The Hogue stock makes the gun easy to hold on to with wet hands. Good basic home defense shotgun.

D0A8CD086EFE4F8D84D8ACB85131177A.jpg