SafetySouth supports St. Jude

BigPoppa

SafetySouth Training Systems, LLC is pleased to announce that we have become a Partner in Hope with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis.

Effective March 1, 2010, SafetySouth will make a monthly donation to St. Jude equivalent to $ 2.00 for each student we train during that month. For example, if we serve 22 students in March, our donation to St. Jude would be $ 44.00.

For more information about St. Jude, and how you can help, see the information below or visit www.stjude.org.

The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of our founder, Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family’s ability to pay.

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is internationally recognized for its pioneering research and treatment of children with cancer and other catastrophic diseases. Ranked the No. 1 pediatric cancer hospital by Parents magazine, St. Jude is the first and only NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center devoted solely to children, and has treated children from all 50 states and from around the world. St. Jude has developed research protocols that helped push overall survival rates for childhood cancer from less than 20 percent when the hospital opened to almost 80 percent today. In addition to pediatric cancer research, St. Jude is also a leader in sickle cell disease research and is a globally prominent research center for influenza.

Founded in 1962 by the late entertainer Danny Thomas, St. Jude freely shares its discoveries with scientific and medical communities around the world, publishing more research articles than any other pediatric cancer research center in the United States. St. Jude treats more than 5,400 patients each year and is the only pediatric cancer research center where families never pay for treatment not covered by insurance. St. Jude is financially supported by thousands of individual donors, organizations and corporations without which the hospital’s work would not be possible. For more information, go to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

National Organizations With Anti-Gun Policies The following organizations have lent monetary, grassroots or some other type of direct support to anti-gun organizations. In many instances, these organizations lent their name in support of specific campaigns to pass anti-gun legislation such as the March 1995 HCI "Campaign to Protect Sane Gun Laws." Many of these organizations were listed as "Campaign Partners," for having pledged to fight any efforts to repeal the Brady Act and the Clinton "assault weapons" ban. All have officially endorsed anti-gun positions.

AARP

AFL-CIO

Ambulatory Pediatric Association

American Academy of Pediatrics

American Civil Liberties Union

American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing

American Medical Women`s Association

American Medical Student Association

American Medical Association

American Association for the Surgery of Trauma

American Trauma Society

American Federation of Teachers

American Association of School Administrators

American Alliance for Rights and Responsibilities

American Medical Association

American Bar Association

American Counseling Association

American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

American Academy of Pediatrics

American Association for World Health

American Ethical Union

American Nurses Association

American Association of Neurological Surgeons

American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences

American Firearms Association

American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

American Jewish Committee

American Trauma Society

American Psychological Association

American Jewish Congress

American Public Health Association

Americans for Democratic Action

Anti-Defamation League

Black Mental Health Alliance

B`nai B`rith

Central Conference of American Rabbis

Children`s Defense Fund

Church of the Brethren

Coalition for Peace Action

Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

College Democrats of America

Committee for the Study of Handgun Misuse & World Peace

Common Cause

Congress of National Black Churches, Inc.

Congress of Neurological Surgeons

Consumer Federation of America

Council of the Great City Schools

Council of Chief State School Officers

Dehere Foundation

Disarm Educational Fund

Environmental Action Foundation

Episcopal Church-Washington Office

Florence and John Shumann Foundation

Friends Committee on National Legislation

General Federation of Women`s Clubs

George Gund Fun

Gray Panthers

H.M. Strong Foundation

Hadassah

Harris Foundation

Hechinger Foundation

Interfaith Neighbors

Int`l Ladies` Garment Workers` Union

Int`l Association of Educators for World Peace

Jewish Labor Committee

Joyce Foundation

Lauder Foundation

Lawrence Foundation

League of Women Voters of the United States*

Lutheran Office for Governmental Affairs, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Manhattan Project II

Mennonite Central Committee-Washington Office

National Safe Kids Campaign

National Association of Police Organizations

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence

National Black Nurses` Association

National Association of Chain Drug Stores

National Network for Youth

National Assembly of National Voluntary Health & Social Welfare Organizations

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

National Association of School Psychologists

National Association of Counties*

National Association of Pediatric Nurse Associates & Practitioners

National Association of School Safety and Law Enforcement Officers

National Education Association

National Association of Elementary School Principals*

National Association of Public Hospitals

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence

National Association of Secondary School Principals

National Association of Social Workers

National Association of Children`s Hospitals and Related Institutions

National Association of School Psychologists

National Council of La Raza

National Center to Rehabilitate Violent Youth

National Commission for Economic Conversion & Disarmament

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA

National Council of Negro Women

National Association of Community Health Centers

National People`s Action

National Education Association*

National League of Cities

National Council on Family Relations

National Council of Jewish Women

National Organization for Women

National Political Congress of Black Women

National Parks and Conservation Association

National Peace Foundation

National Urban League, Inc.

National Parent, Teachers Association*

National Urban Coalition

National SAFE KIDS Campaign

National Organization on Disability

National Spinal Cord Injury Association

NETWORK: A National Catholic Social Justice Lobby

Ortenberg Foundation

Peace Action

People for the American Way

Physicians for Social Responsibility

Police Foundation

Project on Demilitarization and Democracy

Public Citizen

SaferWorld

Society of Critical Care Medicine

Southern Christian Leadership Conference

The Council of the Great City Schools

The Synergetic Society

20/20 Vision

U.S. Catholic Conference, Dept. of Social Development

Union of American Hebrew Congregations

Unitarian Universalist Association

United States Catholic Conference

United Methodist Church, General Board & Church Society

United Church of Christ, Office for Church in Society*

United States Conference of Mayors

War and Peace Foundation

Women Strike for Peace

Women`s National Democratic Club

Women`s Action for New Directions (WAND)

Women`s Int`l League for Peace and Freedom

World Spiritual Assembly, Inc.

YWCA of the U.S.A.

Edited by jackdm3

Does this include St. Jude? I kinda think so. Please find out.

It might....I don't know. Danny's daughter is married to Phil Donahue, and I ain't crazy about him either.

But while I may disagree with their stance on firearms, the clear fact is that they are the world leader in treating kids with cancer, and that takes money.

I am solidly pro 2A, but my world view is not so one-dimensional "I won't support anybody or anything that disagrees with me about guns" that I'm willing to sit on my hands about things like this.

I've sent money to St. Jude for years, and I'm going to keep on. You don't have to.

Guest jackdm3

My wife and I don't do gifts for Christmas like we used to. The last 5 or 6 years have been strictly donations to St. Jude and LeBonheur. Honestly, I'll have a hard time stopping now. I fume a little, anyway.

• Admin Team

You know...my wife is a member of the NEA because she's a teacher and the county requires it. We get all kinds of mailings from them that send my wife into orbit. That said, an organization doesn't necessarily speak for all of it's members. I would be more concerned if I saw St. Judes on that list directly.

Also, like Bo and yourself you have to recognize that both St. Jude's and LeBonheur do phenomenal work in out community. I'm all for supporting them (mostly regardless of their stance on 2A stuff), and applaud SafetySouth for doing so. I eat lunch on Sunday after church with a variety of pacifists and conscientious objectors. I might not agree with their stances personally, but can look past that to see that there is plenty of room in the community for all of us.

I personally don't care what their stance on guns may be. They saved my cousins life when she was 7 and was diagnosed with a rare form of lukemia. They have a pass with me because I have seen first hand how much good comes out of that orginazation. I applaud you for your efforts to support them and I will look to you first for any of my future training needs.

I used to work for St. Jude. I can tell you for a fact that many of the people on staff feel quite strongly about the right to bear arms. Several in my department frequently went to the range and enjoyed the outings.

Just because the AMA is against guns even though more doctors have killed people then guns have through malpractice doesn't mean that I will not support a worthy organization.

P.S. The head of security while I was there was a great guy and we had long talks about CCW and guns in general.

Thanks SafetySouth for donating to a worthy organization.

Thanks SafetySouth, that is awesome. I don't care either the stances mentioned above, I'm thankful that they are here and do what they do, many times at no cost. Some things in life, you have to take for what they are, St. Jude is a Godsend for many and hope for many others, and at least a chance for some and for those they can't help, maybe they will discover something in the future.

A little personal story. I'm leaving Sunday to go down to New Orleans. I haven't planned on going, this is a last minute event that happened yesterday. Our cousins, on my wife's side lost their 6 year old to cancer, Ben is an amazing 5 year old boy. He was diagnosed with a Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG)(an inoperable brain tumor) in Nov 08. He was given 6-8 months to live, he lived for 18 months. About 200 kids get this a year in the US, about 200 die every year from it. He could not qualify for anything at any hospital around the country, including St. Jude, there is no cure, there is no test drugs. These hospitals do more than treat patients, they do research, to try to find cures for these diseases. If it meant giving up my 2nd amendment right, or any other rights to save one of my children, I would do it. The funeral is Monday.

Guest clownsdd

Good for you. St Jude does great work and pulls in lots of donations. Shriner's hospitals for burned and crippled children is an option for your attention.

Edited by clownsdd
Guest jackdm3

Poppa, for us away people, could we buy merch (if you carry merch)and you do the two dollar thing? I'll be looking for a tact light soon.

Edited by jackdm3

If they could find a cure for cancer I would help them pack up every one of my guns to take to the scrap yard. St. Jude does GREAT work. If, God forbid, I ever had a sick child I would do everything in my power to get them to St. Jude. +1 to SafteySouth for doing this.

Poppa, for us away people, could we buy merch (if you carry merch)and you do the two dollar thing? I'll be looking for a tact light soon.

We don't sell gear..........could I interest you in an autographed snapshot of me and Chuck eating baloney samwiches at a rifle class we went to ? I'll then donate $ 2 of that purchase price to St. Jude :hyper: