Dieting? I know No one here is Overweight

JG55

I started a diet at the first of the year. Decided I didn't want to have to take lipitor and HBP meds the rest of my life if I could find a way to control these issues thru diet. Want to see if I can control the backaches and knee aches caused by being overweight. 1/2/10 I started a diet with the goal of dropping from 275Lbs (blossomed since I quit smoking) to 200 lbs by end of July (that would put me almost to my twenties weight). I have been on diets before Atkins and others. I usually get bored with them or tired of eating the same foods. Read a bunch of different books and online articles.

Here's what I decided to do 1600-1800 calories per day. Basically 400 calorie meals a day so I don't get the starvin Hungries. Interestingly, With the new Healthy Choice, Lean Cusiune meals I have been able to mix the food variety up and not get bored with taste.

As of this Morning I have lost 30 lbs. I now weigh 245 lbs. :P

Here's an average day's menu

Breakfast:

2 eggs

2 bacon strips

1/2 a thin whole wheat bun

270 calories

Vitamin/Oil mix

2 Vitamin d3

2 alive mutli vitmins

1 bcomplex

2 tsps of Cod liver fish oil lemon flavor

1/2 tbspn of Flax oil

2 oz's of Pomergranate juice

165calories

Lunch:

4 slices of deli sliced chicken 2 slices of Bacon rolled in a multi grain wrap

280 calories

Afternnon snack

Special K chocolaty bar

90 calories

Dinner:

Healthy choice entree

320 calories

After dinner 8pm

another chicken wrap or healthy choice entree

280 calories

1 Skinny Cow Ice cream sandwich

140 caolries

Total 1545 calories

This is just a base line. I can move things around add things etc. Main goal is to keep the calorie count 1600-1800 for me. 3500 calories + 1lb of fat. If you can cut out 3500 calories a week = 1lb of loss per week

Another way to do this is eat breakfast:

shrink lunch

go into dinner with 1100 calories to eat.

Then you can have

1-2 beers

2-3 of your favorite pizza

just count the calories..

I don't :shhh: for any food because of the variety.

Edited by JG55
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a base line. I can move things around add things etc. Main goal is to keep the calorie count 1600-1800 for me. 3500 calories + 1lb of fat. If you can cut out 3500 calories a week = 1lb of loss per week

Over the years I personally have had the most luck with calorie counting. I honestly think it's because it makes me aware of what and how much I'm eating. As for that cutting 3500 callories=1 lb of weight a week. Maybe not so much. That certainly works for a while, but then your body adjusts and you hit a "plateau". I went from 260 to 210 and have managed to stay there. I manage to keep it there not because I continue to count calories, but because counting calories enabled me to change what and how much I now consume regularly. It's that lifestyle thang.

Good luck and work on sticking with your program long term.

You have to really read the packages for calorie content. Examples:

9 tortilla chips =140 calories that would be the size of a salad plate. Whole bag way over 2000 calories

Campbell's tomato soup Serving size 1/2 cup = 90 calories That's not much.

the whole can has 225 calories

Mcdonald's grilled Chicken Bacon Ranch w/out dressing is 260 caolries add

1/2 a pack of southwest dressing 50 calories total 310 calories That's a good deal as well as filling .

Replace cokes and juices with green tea straight no suger added.

I bought food scales and started really paying attention to calorie counts and weighing food to be accurate. It works for me.

Bravo for you!

I got tired last summer of the "steady creep", and after hitting a personal high of 236, I told myself "no more". So I started hitting the eliptical at the gym like a madman, and lifting again, and just cutting back on eating. Nothing crazy as far as diet - reign in the empty stuff like breads, etc.

By late summer I had dropped about 22lbs, and October 31 I ran my first 5k race with a pretty respectable time.

I've slacked a bit lately due to adding our 3rd child and adding on to the house, and after climbing back above 220lbs this past weekend I'm getting back in gear and going to push to get back down to a nice fit 210.

I actually did my best when I stopped worrying about the weight number, and just focused on getting fit... go figure.

Another thing - make a promise to yourself you won't set foot (or drive through) another fast food place again, and you'll instantly be ahead of the curve. I know it's tough -especially if you are a road warrior, but your gut will thank you in the long run.

Guest 6.8 AR
Another thing - make a promise to yourself you won't set foot (or drive through) another fast food place again, and you'll instantly be ahead of the curve. I know it's tough -especially if you are a road warrior, but your gut will thank you in the long run.

That's good for most of the weight gain. Home cooked meals are usually

better than anything from McDonalds:D

Over the years I personally have had the most luck with calorie counting. I honestly think it's because it makes me aware of what and how much I'm eating. As for that cutting 3500 callories=1 lb of weight a week. Maybe not so much. That certainly works for a while, but then your body adjusts and you hit a "plateau". I went from 260 to 210 and have managed to stay there. I manage to keep it there not because I continue to count calories, but because counting calories enabled me to change what and how much I now consume regularly. It's that lifestyle thang.

Totally agree. That is what I am seeing.

Only exercise I am doing is a 30 minute short hike every other day. I am relying on the calorie count to do the work'

Guest boatme99

Way to go JG!

I'm doing pretty much the same. My previous job was completly travel based for 15 years, I didn't even have a home, so I ate in restraunts all the time and drank at night out of boredom. Since losing that job, I eat at home, have quit drinking beer and lost 70 pounds in about 10 months. 42" waist to 38".

I still enjoy a drink :up:, but I stick to scotch or a couple of glasses of wine at home now and then.

Actually, giving up the beer was the easy part. It was harder to stop eating so much bread, pasta, and pizza.

I've kind of reached a plateau on weight loss. Now I have to get serious about exercise. I still need to lose about 30 more pounds and get the muscles back in condition.

As others have said - it's the calories and portion control that will make you lose weight, NOT fad diets and starving.

Again, congratulations.

WOW, just weighed myself. 220 pounds. That's down from 298 at my peak!

Edited by boatme99
Guest MinorKey

It is great to look to your diet to help you be healthy. As a certified herbalist I started out learning what food actually contained and it was alarming. So much is made from corn! (the same thing they feed to cows for a specific purpose) As soon as you determine to never say "i cant" to anything, you will be free. You eat to live, not live to eat. 90% of all disease is a result of blockage in one or more of the body's systems. There is a quote from i think India that says "where diet is bad, medicine is of no use... where diet is good, medicine is of no need"

Eventually the diet at our house became very directed towards health, but it was all in baby steps and never saying "I cant".

YOU CAN DO IT! Keep taking baby steps, never say "i cant", and keep learning what is the best for you and your health. Reach out for help and encouragement when you need it. I am sure all of us will offer both when you need it.

-MK

P.S. Look into increasing the amount of Garlic, and Cayenne pepper you take in on a daily basis DRAMATICALLY. Your Heart will thank you.

Guest Caveman

I will start by saying you do not need to "diet" you need to change your eating habits. This means changing your state of mind when it comes to food. If you are looking at this eating plan you are on now as a temporary measure to lose weight you will fail because you will go back to your old habits after and gain the weight back. This is why "diets" don't work. If you are looking at this eating plan as a permanent lifestyle change then you are on the right track. Also, counting calories is ok, but what will really help you is getting the right combination of good carbs and protein. Your carbohydrate conversion will dictate how your body breaks down fats and calories and your protein intake will help dictate your carbohydrate conversion. It will also effect how your body processes sugar. The ice-cream and bacon might be ok for you because your total caloric intake for the day is where you think it needs to be, but those things you are eating are disrupting how your body processes and distributes the food you eat. Don't get me wrong, you may lose weight for a period of time, but you need to focus on the long haul here. Getting your metabolism to function efficiently is the goal.

Another aspect is your workout routine. Your eating habits should coordinate with your routine to be most efficient. If you would like, PM me and we can discuss this further. I can give you some pointers and different routines if you would like them.

Edited by Caveman

Good job on the weight loss. I haven't been running like I was when I was training for my half marathon so I've had the slow creep. That's about to change. If you are using those prepared meals as part of your diet, pay attention to the sodium. Those types of foods tend to be higher in salt to make up for the loss of taste from reducing the fat.

weighed myself yesterday morning and nearly sh*t myself when i saw an alltime high of 277. that morning i started a lifestyle change and told myself i need to do this for myself cause HBP and diabetes run in both sides of my family and i dont want either, plus losing weight will make my clothes fit looser making CC easier LOL. the following has actually worked for me and i dont feel hungry. ie also cut out all sugars aside from whats in the fruit and try NOT to eat anything with ingrediants i cannot pronounce

breakfast: mixed fruit of tangerines, apples, strawberries, and grapes

lunch: mixed fruit and a chargrilled chicken sandwich from chickfila with lettuce pickles and no condiments

dinner: same thing as lunch

drinks: water

costs me roughly 8 bucks a day and my calories intake is 740

Edited by Il Duce

I was trying to show that you could eat a variety of foods so that you did not feel like you were being deprived of anything. It is all a matter of portion/calorie control.

This plan so far has worked for me. I have yet to feel deprived of my favorite foods. I just control the portions/calories to stay within the guidelines I set for myself.

It is a good feeling to be able to put clothes on that I haven't been able to wear for a long time and have then be loose. :D

GGP2Jz: That's one of the most important reasons for me. I don't want the obesity diseases.

Congrats on the weight loss JG; I will offer a tip or two, you can try if you want.

1) Substitue Canadian Bacon at breakfast, still has lots of protien, calories, but less fat

2) add a snack between breakfast and lunch. Your body will shift from fat burning to fat storing if not fed in that 5hr window. so say 7am bkfast - 10am snack - 12 lunch. a snack being 200 cals of whole grain bread & peanut butter, cheese stick, etc. Now this may push your daily cal intake higher but you would be better serverd cutting a few later in the day.

this may sound odd but the book "The Abs Diet" is truely a great guide to lifstyle change in wieght loss. Even if your goal is not a washboard stomach its really a good 'make sense' kind of book. You should check it out.

Again congrats on the great work!!

10 Weight Loss Tips That Work in One Minute or Less

featured-638626099-1267471332.jpg?ymlfawCDboCozXE1

More from Prevention

Did you find this helpful?

Rate this article: Thumbs up Thumbs down [/url]

thumbs up thumbs down

93% of users found this article helpful.

By Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief, Prevention

There's nothing like a weight loss strategy that takes almost no time or effort--but still works like a charm! Here are 10 successful strategies to cut calories and burn fat that literally take 60 seconds or less. 1. Mix a juice spritzer

Combine your favorite juice (half of your usual amount) with plain or sparkling water. You can cut up to 85 calories per glass--and lose 5 pounds or more a year.

2. Walk while you talk

Burn calories while you talk on the phone: Do the laundry (68 calories), set the table (85), or water plants (102).

3. Study the wrapper

At a quick glance, that candy bar appears to contain 220 calories. But a closer look may reveal that it (or a bottle of juice, bag of crackers, or bag of nuts) provides two or more servings--which more than doubles those calories.

4. Sip green tea before a walk

The caffeine frees fatty acids so that you burn fat more easily. And the polyphenols (antioxidant compounds) in green tea appear to work with caffeine to increase calorie burn. (If you have high blood pressure, skip this tip.)

5. Pack a lunch

Dining out more than 5 times a week may make you eat more--nearly 300 calories a day--than if you dine out less frequently.

6. Dip your bread

Use olive oil in place of butter. It's healthier and may also help you eat less. In a recent study, dippers ate a total of 52 fewer calories, on average, than those who used butter.

7. Sprinkle flax on cereal

High-fiber ground flaxseed can help curb your appetite and eliminate calories. Add it to yogurt or muffin and bread mixes--it's available in health food stores.

8. Schedule a blood test

About 1 in every 12 women (most of whom don't know it) has an underactive thyroid, which can slow down her metabolism.

9. Supersize your H2O

Buy the big bottle when it comes to good-for-you stuff such as water: You'll drink more.

10. Eat a chunky salad

Chop carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, zucchini, or other veggies instead of shredding or slicing. It takes more effort to munch bigger pieces; you'll do more chewing and eat less during the main course.

• 2 weeks later...

well march 1st i started my diet and weighed in at an unhealthy 277. this morning i weighed myself and came in at 249. thats 28 pounds. off to a good start. during this whole lifestyle change i have noticed quite a few changes. first, ive had more energy and dont feel sluggish during the day. im also sleeping a lot better and sleeping earlier. also astound me the most is how much bad food makes you feel. three days ago i had some hot dogs. i couldnt get off of the toilet LOL. today i had some lays crinkle potato chips. it never dawned on me how much sodium is in/on chips. i can actually feel my BP being high face being hot etc. no more chips for me. anyways, even though its been almost two weeks its definitely been an eye opener for me. how is everyone elses progress?

Guest BigNoise

It is not that bad, you will HAVE to adjust it to you. I would recommend buying a good set of bands and some 20-25 pound freeweights. Hold off on the pullup bar until you feel like you can do atleast 5-6 FULL pullups. If it were me, I would start it now, it is going to multiply your weightloss greatly. Besides, you are inevitably going to hit a plateu, and a program like p90x will simply not let you do that.

Guest LCPTN

Home The Full Plate Diet

This is called "diet", it is not. It is a Lifestyle and is the only

way I've found to "keep it off".

Lost 55 pounds since I was 60. It stays off and I can eat

every meal until I'm not hungry. Have kept diabetes under

control with a pill and exercise. I'm now at 170 pounds and

feel pretty well. Can still ride the Clarksville century on a

recumbent bicycle. Takes most of a day but I'm 70 and

have plenty of time.:rolleyes:

Take a look at my Lifestyle. It is free and the book can be

read online.