Handgun Hunting

Guest walkingdeadman

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like shooting it from a bench,When hunting I carry one of the Primos tripod sticks.I have put the cross hairs on a couple elk useing the stick and it felt pretty good. At 100 yards it's 2" high at 165 yards it's 5" high right now with 200 grain hornady's.I will work with it alot more this year.

Guest Mike22

I have been hunting strictly with handguns for the last 2yrs. I am using a 44mag in a T/C contender. I tried for a couple years to get a deer and never had any luck till i just started leaving the rifle at home. Never would wait long enough to get it with the pistol. Main thing to hunt with a pistol is like everyone else has said practice, practice, an more practice. Sight the gun in. Then just shoot from hunting positions. You can get pistols capable of shooting way farther than most people are able to shoot rifles, but again practice is the key. Something in the power range of a 357mag is about as light i would go. If you really get into it you can get into rifle rounds chambered in a pistol then it gets really fun and the distance you can hunt increases dramaticly again with more practice.

Mike22

Guest 10mm4me
minimum of .40cal and 4" barrel

Close but not quite. The 4" barrel part is right, but the law states a centerfire handgun, firing a single projectile (semi-auto,single shot, or revolver), w/min. 4"barrel, if it meets theses criteria it can be any caliber.

Deer, Bear, Boar, Elk, and Feral Hog Hunting

• Shotguns using ammunition loaded with single solid ball or rifled slugs. No restriction on number of rounds in magazine.
  • Rifles using any center-fire ammunition, in all counties except where regulated by legislative acts.
  • Muzzleloading percussion cap or flintlock rifles, handguns or shotguns of .40 caliber (.40-inches) minimum. These muzzleloading firearms are legal during any gun season or hunt unless otherwise specified. Muzzleloading firearms are defined as those firearms which are incapable of being loaded from the breech.
  • Longbows, compound bows, crossbows and other bows drawn or held by a mechanical device.
  • Hunting arrows and bolts shall be of a barbless design and shall have sharpened blades.
  • Centerfire handguns firing a single projectile and having a barrel length of four inches or more, in all counties except where regulated by legislative acts.
  • Weapons may be equipped with sighting devices except those devices using an artificial light capable of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal.

Small Game Hunting

• Shotguns and handguns using ammunition loaded with Number 4 or smaller shot are legal for all small game hunting.
  • Shotguns using ammunition loaded with T (0.20 inch diameter) or smaller shot are legal for hunting coyotes and beaver except during big game seasons.
  • Shotguns loaded with nontoxic shot approved by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are legal for hunting waterfowl.
  • Rifles and handguns using rim-fire ammunition and air rifles are legal for hunting small game except migratory birds.
  • Rifles and handguns using center-fire ammunition are legal for hunting beaver, bobcat, coyotes, fox, groundhogs, and crows, except during deer, bear, or boar seasons.
  • Muzzleloading firearms (rifles, handguns, shotguns).
  • Longbows, compound bows, crossbows and other bows drawn or held by a mechanical device.
  • Falcons and Falconry subject to TCA Section 70-4-414.
  • Gigs and angling equipment are also legal for taking bullfrogs.
  • Weapons may be equipped with sighting devices except those devices utilizing an artificial light capable of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal.

Illegal Weapons

• Shotguns using ammunition loaded with shot larger than Number Four (4) are prohibited for hunting all wildlife except beavers, coyotes, and waterfowl.
  • Shotguns loaded with single ball or rifled slug ammunition are prohibited for hunting all wildlife except deer, bear, boar, and feral hogs except as follows: Coyotes, bobcats, foxes, and crows (when those seasons are open) may be taken by big game hunters while hunting big game with any legal big game weapon or ammunition.
  • Rifles or handguns loaded with military or other full metal jacketed type of ammunition are prohibited.
  • Rifles or handguns loaded with center-fire ammunition are prohibited for all hunting between 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes before sunrise.
  • Rifles or handguns loaded with center-fire ammunition are prohibited during all deer, bear, or boar seasons for hunting any wildlife except deer, bear, or boar. Coyotes, crows, groundhogs, beaver, feral hogs, foxes, and bobcats may be taken by big game hunters while hunting big game with any legal big game equipment or ammunition.
  • Any arrow with poisoned or chemically treated tip or explosive head is illegal for hunting.
  • Weapons capable of fully automatic fire are prohibited for hunting of all wildlife.
  • Firearms or archery equipment with any device utilizing an artificial light capable of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal.
  • Shotguns capable of holding more than three shells when hunting migratory birds (doves, ducks, geese, and woodcock, etc.) are prohibited.
  • A short-barrel rifle or shotgun - Acording to TCA 39-17-1302, a person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells a rifle or shotgun with a short barrel. Therefore, it in not legal to possess or use rifles and shotguns with short barrels for hunting.

Guest Redneckgizmo

Well cjr that's not a handgun! This is a handgun!

2-3.jpg

here's a 3 shot group from just b4 deer season last year. Not a cloverleaf but not bad for the first 3 shots of the year @ 300yrds

1-3.jpg