Handgun Hunting

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

Today I was listening to a HuntCast podcast on my phone and they were talking about the pros and cons to handgun hunting.

I began thinking off how much fun it would be to bust an animal with my Glock or other type of handgun. They were saying that alot of hunters in Minnesota and the surrounding states were beginning to use them alot for elk hunting. Just wanted to see what you all thought. Sounds like fun to me. I would just have to get out to the range and practice, cause you would have to be a REALLY good shot. I was also not to sure of the laws here in Tennessee when it comes to handgun hunting. I hope I am not talking of something thats not even legal to do in our state.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im fairly sure that I'm correct on this but I know someone will corrrect me if I'm not.

Only semi-auto caliber legal for deer is 10mm and the new .460Rowland. Revolvers must be .357mag or 44mag or larger(magnum chambering basically). Anything less wouldnt even be ethical.

For elk, I would anything less than a really hot .41mag or any .44mag.

Page 16 of the TN Hunting regulation booklet.

Legal Equipment

Deer, Bear, ELK, Boar and Feral Hog Hunting

1. Shotguns using ammunition loaded with single solid ball or

rifled slugs. No restriction on number of rounds in magazine.

2. Rifles using any center-fire ammunition.

3. Muzzleloading percussion cap or flintlock rifles, handguns or shotguns of .40 caliber (.40-inches) minimum. These muzzleloading firearms are legal during any gun season or hunt unless

otherwise specified. Muzzleloading firearms are defined as those firearms which are incapable of being loaded from the breech.

4. Longbows, compound bows, crossbows and other bows drawn or held by a mechanical device.

5. Hunting arrows and bolts shall be of a barbless design and shall have sharpened blades.

6. Centerfire handguns firing a single projectile and having a barrel length of four inches or more.

7. Firearms and archery equipment may be equipped with sighting devices except those devices utilizing an artificial light capable of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal.

Guest walkingdeadman

I wasn't saying I was going to use my glock. I said it would be neat if I could. Anyway, looks I have a handgun with a four inch barrel in my future. Thanks memphismason for the info.

]3. Muzzleloading percussion cap or flintlock rifles, handguns or [/size]shotguns of .40 caliber (.40-inches) minimum. These muzzleloading firearms are legal during any gun season or hunt unless

otherwise specified. Muzzleloading firearms are defined as those firearms which are incapable of being loaded from the breech.

The .40 cal only applies only to muzzleloaders as I read it. A lot of deer have been and are taken with .357 mags. The rules say any centerfire ammo is legal in rifles. It makes no mention of hunting with centerfire hanguns.

Under Illegal equipment it says this:

Rifles or handguns loaded with center- fire ammunition are prohibited during

all deer, bear or boar seasons for hunting any wildlife except deer, bear, or boar.

This tells me that it is legal to hunt deer with any centerfire handgun with a 4" barrel.

I always carry a 1911 with me deer hunting. I have taken several does with a .45 1911 and a Ruger SBH Hunter in .44 mag.

The .40 cal only applies only to muzzleloaders as I read it. A lot of deer have been and are taken with .357 mags. The rules say any centerfire ammo is legal in rifles. It makes no mention of hunting with centerfire hanguns.

Under Illegal equipment it says this:

Rifles or handguns loaded with center- fire ammunition are prohibited during

all deer, bear or boar seasons for hunting any wildlife except deer, bear, or boar.

This tells me that it is legal to hunt deer with any centerfire handgun with a 4" barrel.

I always carry a 1911 with me deer hunting. I have taken several does with a .45 1911 and a Ruger SBH Hunter in .44 mag.

I was pointing out that the caliber requirement on handguns fell under the muzzle loader heading. Sorry this wasn't completely clear. I have taken my .357 out with me just incase of a close enough shot presented itself for me.

Hey Roy your pistol has a 4" barrel I believe.

To be clear:

Centerfire Handguns, with barrels 4" or larger, are legal to hunt with in TN.

Edited by memphismason

I use my carry gun. 10mm Kimber. Nothing will give you more confidence in your carry gun than popping a deer at 50 yards. The eye opener was the full penetration I got with my carry ammunition.:tough: I've also hunted with a 454 and a 260 XP100, but nothing beats the gun I have on my side everyday.

Edited by alleycat72

i really have wanted to do this for awhile as well. mostly out of interest. ive liked large caliber rifles and archery but multiple shoulder surgeries make those harder to handle. handgun hunting would be great.

Guest 10mm4me

I use a Glock so irons. I have a GP100 too. I would never mount glass on it though. Prob never would on any handgun, maybe a .460 XVR or a .500

Guest BEARMAN

I,ve killed 3 deer with my .357 magnums. First one was with a S&W model 19 w/ 4" bbl. the next two was with my Dan Wesson mdl.15 w/ 6" bbl. and it wears a Bushnell red dot scope.

All 3 only ran about 60 yards, then DRT!

Just as dead as if you'd have shot em with a .375 H&H.

Keep your range under 75 yards with a .357, and under 100 yards w/ a .44 mag. and you'll do fine.

Practice, Practice, Practice...then, Practice some more.

When shooting out of an elevated tree stand, from a seated position, what I do is cross my legs, and use my knee for a stable rest using a two hand support grip.

I find it to be as stable as using a sand bag, but again, did I mention, practice?

Practice the way you will be hunting. If standing/stalking, you might consider a mono pod adjustable hiking stick w/ the yoke for a stable shooting platform, I use a Stoney Point, but there are several other makers out there.

I tend to lean towards the heavier grain bullets for complete penetration, for my hunting loads.

Hardcast, or hollowpoints works fine, just concentrate on broadside shots and stay off the shoulder, go for the boiler room, and it's back-straps on the grill, my friends!

You'll find hand-gunning very satisfying and rewarding...especially if you're a reloader, and your packing less weight in the woods, to boot!

Good luck!....Bearman

Guest walkingdeadman
I,ve killed 3 deer with my .357 magnums. First one was with a S&W model 19 w/ 4" bbl. the next two was with my Dan Wesson mdl.15 w/ 6" bbl. and it wears a Bushnell red dot scope.

All 3 only ran about 60 yards, then DRT!

Just as dead as if you'd have shot em with a .375 H&H.

Keep your range under 75 yards with a .357, and under 100 yards w/ a .44 mag. and you'll do fine.

Practice, Practice, Practice...then, Practice some more.

When shooting out of an elevated tree stand, from a seated position, what I do is cross my legs, and use my knee for a stable rest using a two hand support grip.

I find it to be as stable as using a sand bag, but again, did I mention, practice?

Practice the way you will be hunting. If standing/stalking, you might consider a mono pod adjustable hiking stick w/ the yoke for a stable shooting platform, I use a Stoney Point, but there are several other makers out there.

I tend to lean towards the heavier grain bullets for complete penetration, for my hunting loads.

Hardcast, or hollowpoints works fine, just concentrate on broadside shots and stay off the shoulder, go for the boiler room, and it's back-straps on the grill, my friends!

You'll find hand-gunning very satisfying and rewarding...especially if you're a reloader, and your packing less weight in the woods, to boot!

Good luck!....Bearman

Great advice Bearman...Thanks.

Guest BEARMAN
So the two guns you would look at buying would be some type of .357 or .44 mag?

I'm currently hunting with a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. w/ a 7.5" bbl.and Iron sights, in a cross-draw holster.

But if I didn't have the .44, I would still be confident hunting deer w/ my .357 mag. :) FWIW

Guest clownsdd

I've squirrel hunted with my Ruger .22 single action, but somehow, large game with a handgun just don't seem right. Hunting hogs and having a handgun as a backup makes sense.

Don't know why and wouldn't blame someone for doing so, but it's just not for me.

Guest BEARMAN
I've squirrel hunted with my Ruger .22 single action, but somehow, large game with a handgun just don't seem right.

You are correct, sir...hunting large game with a handgun, is not for the faint of heart!!!

Especially, if the large game can hunt you back! :shrug:

Guest Redneckgizmo

Well I hunt with mostly handguns rabbits & squirells with ruger 22's & deer with my 12" barrelled 45cal muzzleloader pistol & my 15" barrelled 270 encore! It's so much more satisfying with a handgun & makes it more of a challenge with a decent prop Ive killed deer @ 300 plus yrds with my encore. & with an t/c encore or contender there's a large variety of caliber's you can shoot. It's only single shot but i've taken 3 does from the same field with mine @ the same time. & like bearman said if your gonna handgun hunt practice, practice, & then practice some more! Goodluck!