Say it ain't so Joe. Not Chicago USA!

Does anyone really know what the guns laws are in the Windy City. A friend of mine wrote the quote below, but he must be wrong. He must be talking about another city called Chicago in another country.

"You cannot own a handgun. You can have a rifle or shotgun, but the ammo must be in a separate unavailable location and the gun must be locked or broken down at all times. You can not ever have the gun in an operational manner for even a moment. In addition, you cannot take it outside or transport it in a vehicle for any reason. (Unless of course you are a gangbanger). Chicago cops like the law because it means that they all get to moonlite at the bars and clubs as well paid armed security"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton
Chicago cops like the law because it means that they all get to moonlite at the bars and clubs as well paid armed security"

Does not compute....

If its illegal to own a handgun, then why would you need armed security....hmmmmmm:screwy:

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone really know what the guns laws are in the Windy City. A friend of mine wrote the quote below, but he must be wrong. He must be talking about another city called Chicago in another country.

"You cannot own a handgun. You can have a rifle or shotgun, but the ammo must be in a separate unavailable location and the gun must be locked or broken down at all times. You can not ever have the gun in an operational manner for even a moment. In addition, you cannot take it outside or transport it in a vehicle for any reason. (Unless of course you are a gangbanger). Chicago cops like the law because it means that they all get to moonlite at the bars and clubs as well paid armed security"

I didn't know you could even own a rifle... seeing they don't have a rifle season for hungting, its shotgun only.

From what the Family that lives in Carbondale IL explained to me Chicago is much worse but here is my experiences/education about my new in-law's home state thus far.. .

I couldn't buy ammo in Illinois last January when I couldn't find any here, because I didn't have a FOID card($10), application sounded easy enough, I went the local DMV to get a FOID card and was told I couldn't have one B/C I'm from out of state they said to show the teller at walmart my TN hunting license, cool no problem!, back to wal-mart show my current TN hunting license, no-go can't purchase ammo still b/c TN does not touch IL? Note, I am not hunting in IL only trying to pick up some rounds for the new rifle I got for Christmas(3 week prior) which is still back in TN.(wal-mart near my house had been sold out every day since I got the rifle ;) ) They were kind enough to offer me a non-resident hunting license($56) but I had no interest since I didn't have the gun with me , and would only be there for another day, and only wanted to purchase ammo.

Ended up picking up 5 boxes at a wal-mart 5 min. over the line into KY on the way back home. (whoo! that was easy, could have been from mars as long as I was 18yrs old!)

BTW, I also can't carry in IL or have a firearm in my possesion apparently b/c to transport a firearm to (or from) a destination in IL legally it must be transported . . .

1.Unloaded- (Ok no problem)

2.Enclosed in a case. (whatever floats your boat, officer)

3.By persons who have a valid FOID card. (WTF you apparently won't issue these stupid cards unless your a resident of IL. What is someone visiting family who lives here supposed to do if they happen get a new pistol as a gift while there!)

I did get a response from the state patrol on how to get my pistol home legally,(3 days later) it had to follow 1+2 above and be in a Not immediately accessible or broken down state. So if your traveling through IL, and run into highway bandits ect. plan on chucking pieces of your disassembled firearm at them! :/

This Joe cant say it aint so....

Sounds more accurate than not to me.

I didn't know you could even own a rifle... seeing they don't have a rifle season for hungting, its shotgun only.

Gimme a break.

Here are Chicago gun ordinances.

Municipal Code of Chicago - Weapons

You may register any gun except handguns, assault rifles (listed), short barreled rifles, silenced weapons, full auto weapons.

There is nothing in there about keeping guns broken down, or even unloaded, in your home.

There is a section specifically allowing you to carry your weapons in vehicle for use in lawful purposes both within and without the City of Chicago, and in this case they must be "broken down" to non-functional status while in the city.

Chicago is bad, no doubt about it.

You can't even possess ammunition for a firearm you don't own and have registered as I read it, there's some kind of laser sight limitation, etc.

But you don't need to make stuff up to make it seem even worse than it is.

- OS

Guest redbarron06

It has been a few years since I visited the area but IIRC you can own a handugn when you move there but if you live there you can not but one. I was at a gun shop wearing a gun (working armored car) and they would not hold a gun from the case because I was not a IL resident.

I did get a response from the state patrol on how to get my pistol home legally,(3 days later) it had to follow 1+2 above and be in a Not immediately accessible or broken down state. So if your traveling through IL, and run into highway bandits ect. plan on chucking pieces of your disassembled firearm at them! :/

Or, carry a shotgun in your trunk!