Things We need to Know about Saiga Conversions

leroy

Dear fellow TGO'ers:______________

This is a request for a "what we all need to know" about Saiga.

• What are they?
  • Why do we like em?
  • What can we do with em?
  • Where do we get em?
  • What mods do we do to em?
  • Where do we get the parts for em?
  • What caliber(s)?
  • How is the accuracy?
  • Where do we get the ammo?
  • Everything else we need to know.

Kind regards,

Leroy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

• What are they? AK sporter rifles made at the Izmash factory (the original AK factory) in Russia.
  • Why do we like em? They are cheap, and can be converted from the sporter configuration to the standard AK configuration quite easily. They also have chrome lined barrels, if you're into that sort of thing.
  • What can we do with em? Anything you can do to a regular AK you can do to a Saiga once it's converted.
  • Where do we get em? Various places.
  • What mods do we do to em? Typically to go from the sporter to the standard, you replace the fire control group with a standard AK FCG, you install a pistol grip, install a feed ramp, file on the mag catch so that it accepts standard AK mags, and you install a standard AK buttstock. Some basic tools are required.
  • Where do we get the parts for em? Most any AK part works.
  • What caliber(s)? 7.62x39, .223, .308, 12ga, 20 ga, .410 ga, and 5.45x39.
  • How is the accuracy? As good as any AK.
  • Where do we get the ammo? Anyplace that sells ammo.
  • Everything else we need to know. Be aware of 922r parts count. You can have no more than 10 foreign parts on the gun when you convert it, but if you use all US made parts in the conversion, you wont have to worry about it.

Kind regards,

Leroy

:tinfoil:

Unconverted/Sporter:

p_saiga.jpg

Edited by bkelm18
Guest jimdigriz

How is the accuracy? As good as any AK.

In my experience, their accuracy is much better than the poor reputation that AKs tend to have. You should be able to obtain at least 4 MOA, and in some cases, as good as 1.5 MOA (while using optics and proper technique).

Guest bkelm18
In my experience, their accuracy is much better than the poor reputation that AKs tend to have. You should be able to obtain at least 4 MOA, and in some cases, as good as 1.5 MOA (while using optics and proper technique).

Ok, maybe I should have said "As good as any quality AK". :tinfoil:

Guest jimdigriz

• What are they?
  • Why do we like em?
  • What can we do with em?
  • Where do we get em?
  • What mods do we do to em?
  • Where do we get the parts for em?
  • What caliber(s)?
  • How is the accuracy?
  • Where do we get the ammo?
  • Everything else we need to know.

Kind regards,

Leroy

If you want an AK with all the standard military features, and you are not looking for a project gun, you should just buy an SGL instead. To put your Saiga in the same configuration, it will take as least as much money as well as a fair amount of effort and frustration. The basic conversion is quick and not too hard, but if you want to use a standard lower handguard retainer, and have a bayonet lug and threaded barrel, it gets more complicated. (However, some recent 7.62x39 Saigas have been coming in recently with a threaded barrel underneath the shroud).

Guest Stonewall
If you want an AK with all the standard military features, and you are not looking for a project gun, you should just buy an SGL instead. To put your Saiga in the same configuration, it will take as least as much money as well as a fair amount of effort and frustration. The basic conversion is quick and not too hard, but if you want to use a standard lower handguard retainer, and have a bayonet lug and threaded barrel, it gets more complicated. (However, some recent 7.62x39 Saigas have been coming in recently with a threaded barrel underneath the shroud).

Might be better off converting the PC Saiga right now, the SGL's are back up to $700-$800 or so.

Here's how i do it. These are the basics. Thing I like about the list below is everything comes with the necessary hardware/drill bits/taps ect. Makes it real easy. A Dremel with a good cut off wheel and grinder, a couple punches 1/8 and 1/4, a hand drill with a 1/8 drill bit and about an hour is all it takes.

CDNN - Saiga $299 delivered.

Carolina Shooters Supply -easiest and cheapest for one stop shopping

-Stock - ORIGINAL AK STYLE STOCK TAPCO <B>BLACK</B>

- Trigger - TRIGGER GROUP-SAIGA/AK-47 <b>SINGLE HOOK G2</b>

- trigger guard - TRIGGER GUARD-BOLT ON "ANGLED"

- retaining plate - TRIGGER PARTS-AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE FOR THE SAIGA RIFLES/AK 47

- bullet guide - BULLET GUIDE 7.62X39 WITH DRILL AND TAP SET

- PG - GRIP AK/SAIGA ORIGINAL STYLE <B>BLACK</B>

Just an FYI, this basic build will cost:

$299 + 30 transfer/Tics

Parts 117.84 = shipping $11(?)

= $446.84

If you want to go all the way and get the front end AK103 style (front end) add $45 HG, $30 gas tube, $25 FS, $12 for the FH, $25 gas block, $10 HG retainer, and $150 for labor and finish. Total would be - $733.84

Bottom line is the SLG is a great way to go but cost more. The saiga conversion will cost a little less, but you get to make it exactly like you want it and get the satisfaction of doing the majority of it yourself.

Edited by Smith

If I am breaking any rules concerning posting a link to other websites, I apologize before hand. Sorry!

Leroy, a wonderful site dedicated to the Saiga is www.saiga-12.com . There is a TON of info there on conversions to the entire Saiga line of shotguns and rifles. I'd advise checking it out.I encourage you to go ahead and buy one and do the conversion. I just finished my conversion on a .223 and I love it! I want to get a shotgun next and convert it!

The conversion is very easy to do. There are step by step videos on youtube that you can follow as well as other places. The youtube videos aren't the best but they give you a real good idea of what to do (If he'd only checked his camera view from time to time they would have been better). And I must say that I am not an experienced machinist. Actually I'm the exact opposite! But I muddled through and came out with a nice looking rifle. I probably had about 3 hours total in the conversion process. Hint: A dremel tool makes life much easier!

I'd also like to give big +1 to Carolina Shooting Supply! First class operation! They also have some videos you can watch.

Guest jimdigriz

If you want to go all the way and get the front end AK103 style (front end) add $45 HG, $30 gas tube, $25 FS, $12 for the FH, $25 gas block, $10 HG retainer, and $150 for labor and finish. Total would be - $733.84

People should be aware that the Saiga barrels will not accept a standard handguard retainer without modification. This complicates things a good bit.

Guest Stonewall
Only on the .223 IIRC.

7.62 x 39 requires modification.

This is typical unmodified 7.62 x 39:

acfce78.jpg

The Saiga conversion is pretty easy when all you're talking about is buttstock, bullet ramp, and a pistol grip. The real work comes in when you put the other end back into AK configuration.

Although there have been a few that came in with the military configuration for barrel and gas tube...............

Edited by Stonewall
7.62 x 39 requires modification.

This is typical unmodified 7.62 x 39:

acfce78.jpg

The Saiga conversion is pretty easy when all you're talking about is buttstock, bullet ramp, and a pistol grip. The real work comes in when you put the other end back into AK configuration.

Although there have been a few that came in with the military configuration for barrel and gas tube...............

I thought he was talking about the barrel diameter and HG retainer in which they ARE the same for most countries. The Mak is different. True, to use AK handguards you have to press off the FS and GB and replace them. I always paid someone to do that. If you look at my list you will see I added in that cost as well as the parts.

Dinzag makes a bolt on HG retainer that makes it possible without removing anything except the gas tube.

I have converted a x39 and a 223. Luv em both. I think I have about $420 total in each one, including the conversion parts, barrel threading, and furniture.

I am having some feed & eject issues on the 223 that has me puzzled, but I'm working on it.

383079647.jpg

Edited by Auburn