Scrap Lead

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The pics of it look like mostly battery connectors. Saw a couple parts in the pic that look like battery posts. I remember reading in several places to avoid battery lead. Stole this from the lasc.us website:

"Battery lead should be avoided because of the extremely high toxicity of elements such as Strontium. All of the other elements listed in addition to being toxic, cast very poorly, ruin a pot of alloy they are blended with and should be avoided."

I don't know if that means external connectors or...

• Admin Team

I've got no experience there, and really know nothing about reloading. I can definitely see avoiding lead plate inside batteries, but it seems like external connectors might be okay.

56fordguy is right, though. You better have a way to move it; that would be a lot of lead to move by hand.

Guest m&pc9
The pics of it look like mostly battery connectors. Saw a couple parts in the pic that look like battery posts. I remember reading in several places to avoid battery lead. Stole this from the lasc.us website:

"Battery lead should be avoided because of the extremely high toxicity of elements such as Strontium. All of the other elements listed in addition to being toxic, cast very poorly, ruin a pot of alloy they are blended with and should be avoided."

I don't know if that means external connectors or...

I think that means the lead from the plates on the inside of the battery. I would think terminal connections would be ok.

Guest canebreaker

Battery terminals and post are ok. Most of my lead comes from this source, mixed with wheel weights and spent range bullits.

I've done this before: used a hammer and removed the post on a few batteries. (drain the acid first) Built a bonfire, clearing under brush from land, with batteries in the fire. About a week later, I found about a half cup of lead. I'm thinking this was the lead that connected the post to the plates.

My grand dads farm had a windmill powered battery charger. Lots of batteries wired together. 12 volt light system in the barn and house. All the battery tops could be removed for repairs to the plates. When a top was removed, the plates came out with it. Acid was filtered, bottoms were cleaned out, plates were cleaned and dipped in hot lead for plating, then put back into service.

Electric companies came along saying. If you produce electricity, we must be about to buy it from you. Then you have to buy it from us. So away went the 12 volt system for housing.