Carry in Convenience Store

TCA 39-17-1305 states:

"It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in §57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption."

I have been told and have always assumed this to mean:

1) I can go Legally armed into a convenience store, gas station or grocery store that sells beer.

2.) I can go legally armed into a Liquor Store.

Am I correct?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tungsten. I found out that the code in question was amended and the "/SOLD" was removed effective July 1st, 2001. When I took my HCP class in 2003, the officers directing the class told me it was legal however recently someone showed me the code that was obviously outdated.

Thanks Tungsten. I found out that the code in question was amended and the "/SOLD" was removed effective July 1st, 2001. When I took my HCP class in 2003, the officers directing the class told me it was legal however recently someone showed me the code that was obviously outdated.

Did you mean the officers directing the class told you it was "illegal"?

Did you mean the officers directing the class told you it was "illegal"?

No. When I went through the class at the Mt. Juliet Police Department 4 years ago, the officers told me it WAS LEGAL. Someone since showed me an old copy of 39-17-1305 which originally stated Served/Sold.

No. When I went through the class at the Mt. Juliet Police Department 4 years ago, the officers told me it WAS LEGAL. Someone since showed me an old copy of 39-17-1305 which originally stated Served/Sold.

Ok...my misunderstanding. I'm glad you were taught the correct information.

Oh...and another AMEN on restaurant carry in TN.

I would be very careful carrying in a liquor store, unless you know the people, especially in Shelby Co.

Why, I have carried in several liquor stores. Since it is concealed, the owners etc. don't even know that I have it.

I have open carried once or twice and nothing has been said. Then again, I don't look like a thug so it isn't very likely I am there to rob the place.

Phanton6 recently sent me a copy of the video they still show to carry permit classes. It was done in 1999 or 2000 and says you can not carry where alcohol is sold. It's pretty outrageous that the state hasn't done a new video in the six years that this information has been incorrect.

Guest bkelm18
Phanton6 recently sent me a copy of the video they still show to carry permit classes. It was done in 1999 or 2000 and says you can not carry where alcohol is sold. It's pretty outrageous that the state hasn't done a new video in the six years that this information has been incorrect.

They're slow in expanding our rights but they'll snatch 'em away in an instant.

Yeah... it's pretty pathetic when the instructor of a permit class has to spend an hour just pointing out everything that is incorrect in the video, and even more time filling in all of the changes in the law since 1999.

It would be far better for the state to annually publish a pamphlet which cites and summarizes the relevant portions of the TCA, AG opinions, and case-law... to be sent to every HCP holder and applicant, and be available at every DMV and from every licensed instructor. It wouldn't take much. Then the next video could be dedicated to goofy dramatic representations of what to do and what not to do, and the two douche-bag commentators could be left out of it entirely.

That would let the instructors do their job far more effectively, and give them consolidated information to cover.

Guest canynracer
I would be very careful carrying in a liquor store, unless you know the people, especially in Shelby Co.

I live in Shelby county...it is legal to carry, unless of course they have the infamous sign stating they do not allow it..

Like saintsfan said, I carry concealed...but even if I didnt, I am legal.

Yeah... it's pretty pathetic when the instructor of a permit class has to spend an hour just pointing out everything that is incorrect in the video, and even more time filling in all of the changes in the law since 1999.

...and from what I've heard on several forums, some don't.

It would be far better for the state to annually publish a pamphlet which cites and summarizes the relevant portions of the TCA, AG opinions, and case-law... to be sent to every HCP holder and applicant, and be available at every DMV and from every licensed instructor. It wouldn't take much. Then the next video could be dedicated to goofy dramatic representations of what to do and what not to do, and the two douche-bag commentators could be left out of it entirely.

That would let the instructors do their job far more effectively, and give them consolidated information to cover.

I agree!!

Do you all believe the Department of Safety knows all the firearms laws exactly word to word? I never took the handgun class here (did mine in Arkansas for a concealed handgun license), but even the instructors (many who are law enforcement) there do not know everything in the Arkansas statutes word for word. The key is looking up the law yourself for the respective state you are carrying in. Tennessee for the most part is easy to understand. 1)Schools are felony locations 2)Courtroom during judicial proceeding are felony locations 3)Places that serve alcohol are misdemeanor 4) Places with the PROPER signage are $500 max fine. If you conceal in locations #3 and #4 you should not have any problems. I would not want to risk a felony.

Do you all believe the Department of Safety knows all the firearms laws exactly word to word? I never took the handgun class here (did mine in Arkansas for a concealed handgun license), but even the instructors (many who are law enforcement) there do not know everything in the Arkansas statutes word for word. The key is looking up the law yourself for the respective state you are carrying in. Tennessee for the most part is easy to understand. 1)Schools are felony locations 2)Courtroom during judicial proceeding are felony locations 3)Places that serve alcohol are misdemeanor 4) Places with the PROPER signage are $500 max fine. If you conceal in locations #3 and #4 you should not have any problems. I would not want to risk a felony.

No, I don't believe the DOS or most LEO's know the firearm laws word for word, many don't even know them vaugley it would seem. But if someone is going to instruct a class on a subject, I would hope they would teach correct infromation. It would also be nice if the enforcers of the law knew them as well.

I do whole-heartedly agree that individuals should educate themselves by looking up the laws.

As dotsun said it is not quite as cut and dry as you say. In Arkansas for example all the off limits places are listed in the same statute and below that it gives which places are still ok if the gun is in the car in the parking lot. TN's however are spread out all over in the section. Two of them refer to a list of weapon in another statue...that list does not include handguns, but according to AG opinion handguns are still off limits at those places.

So with a little time and reading and research, you can have a good idea of the laws in TN, but still not as clear as many other states.

No, I don't believe the DOS or most LEO's know the firearm laws word for word, many don't even know them vaugley it would seem. But if someone is going to instruct a class on a subject, I would hope they would teach correct infromation. It would also be nice if the enforcers of the law knew them as well.

I do whole-heartedly agree that individuals should educate themselves by looking up the laws.

As dotsun said it is not quite as cut and dry as you say. In Arkansas for example all the off limits places are listed in the same statute and below that it gives which places are still ok if the gun is in the car in the parking lot. TN's however are spread out all over in the section. Two of them refer to a list of weapon in another statue...that list does not include handguns, but according to AG opinion handguns are still off limits at those places.

So with a little time and reading and research, you can have a good idea of the laws in TN, but still not as clear as many other states.

Exactly. For example, a Church that has a private school. The Church was there first, then the school. The Church uses the school class rooms for Sunday school, the cafeteria for special event lunches and dinners. There are school sports, but their are also Church league sports, yes mostly are school students, but it is open to all kids (some that go to Church there but don't go to school there.)

There is not clear direction on what you can do, or so that I have seen, I know I can drop the kids off and still be carrying, but I am guessing that I can't carry at other functions, due to a school being on the grounds, or can I just not go in the school building.:D