Best Bang for the buck PSL or FNAR?

So im thinking I want something thats reasonably accurate to 500yds or so for punching paper....

Debatin between the $579.00 PSL 54c (ammo is relatively cheap and it comes with a useable scope).

or

FNAR .308 Heavy Barrel $1350 (match ammo much easier to find and probably more reliable, more accurate, but twice as much money)

Thoughts, opinions? Any other semi-auto suggestions appreciated (not really wanting a bolt gun atm)

Thanks!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you place a $ amount on your time? The PSL is cheap to shoot (for now) but all that inexpensive ammo is corrosive meaning a whole lot more clean up...like inside the gas tube, etc. PITA! Plus they are not MI Dragunovs so accuracy and quality results may vary.

You won't find any match grade ammo for a PSL either. At least surplus.

The FNAR I know nothing about other than you won't be shooting corrosive ammo through it and your ammo options are far greater.

If I was serious about 500+ yards in a semi I'd go with an M1A (or a Garand), but that's just who I am. ;)

Edited by Garufa
So im thinking I want something thats reasonably accurate to 500yds or so for punching paper....

Debatin between the $579.00 PSL 54c (ammo is relatively cheap and it comes with a useable scope).

or

FNAR .308 Heavy Barrel $1350 (match ammo much easier to find and probably more reliable, more accurate, but twice as much money)

Thoughts, opinions? Any other semi-auto suggestions appreciated (not really wanting a bolt gun atm)

Thanks!

Get the FNAR. It's very slick. I think you can get a light barrel for about $1000. The heavy barrel is nice, but it's not very well balanced, especially with a bipod. I would high recommend buying the light barrel and tossing the extra $$ into mags, ammo and optics.

4234485946_463a12398d_b.jpg

Guest Eric Hawkins

I would look at the new Winchester SXAR, it is essentially a FNAR with out the side rails and the scope rail is not a one-piece unit. Other than that they are both the same gun. I picked one up at the Sportsman’s Warehouse here in Chattanooga about 2 months ago for $900.00 out the door including tax and background check. I have not got a chance to shoot it yet but the quality is very good and I think it looks trick in the factory brush camo, but thats just me.

SX-AR Autoloading Centerfire Rifle, Camo Hunting Rifle -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Model

531051l-tfb-tm.jpg

Guest gcrookston

having owned both, I must say $$ gets you your bang. The Psl, well its ok. It's easy, it's simple, it's accurate to expectations. If you want to hit a 2 bit piece at 100 yards, well, then you must have the FNAR. It's out-of-the box a poke them in an eye at 300 yards gun, while the Psl is just a take their head off at 300 yrds.

Edited by gcrookston

I've got a PSL and with regular light ball I get 2.5moa. With the 7N1 ammo designed for the Dragunov, it drops dramatically to right at 1.5moa. Stay away from the heavy ball with this rifle. It's less accurate and will also batter the rear of the receiver.

The 7N1 ammo is scarce, expensive, and will only get more scarce and expensive. Loading your own match-grade ammo for the PSL will probably be your best bet for long-term availability and cost.

If you want serious accuracy, the PSL is not it. for pretty good accuracy and the ability to plink cheaply, you can't beat it.

Guest gcrookston
I've got a PSL and with regular light ball I get 2.5moa.

That is about what I saw with my PSL. it was an angle of man (not minute) gun. With light ball I was posting 6" to 8" groups at 300 meters. As I stated above, a head shot. With the FNAR (I had a light barrel version -- which on any other rifle we'd consider medium), at 300 meters it will clover leaf a target, in my experience.

The only thing I could criticize about the FN is it's weight. It's too light for my tastes. as I do 90% of my shooting from the bench, it just is too light a weapon and tends to bounce around off the bipod... recoil isn't an issue, but when shooting, that bounce won't bring you back to zero without some adjustment.

Damn thats a hell of a deal....If I can find one for close to that...its definitely the route im gonna go...thanks for the heads up! ;)

I would look at the new Winchester SXAR, it is essentially a FNAR with out the side rails and the scope rail is not a one-piece unit. Other than that they are both the same gun. I picked one up at the Sportsman’s Warehouse here in Chattanooga about 2 months ago for $900.00 out the door including tax and background check. I have not got a chance to shoot it yet but the quality is very good and I think it looks trick in the factory brush camo, but thats just me.

SX-AR Autoloading Centerfire Rifle, Camo Hunting Rifle -- Winchester Repeating Arms -- Product Model

531051l-tfb-tm.jpg

I have shot M1A's im just not enamored with a gun that heavy honestly.

I totally understand, I handed my father mine recently it was the first time he had handled one since 1965 and he said he had forgotten how dang heavy they are. I'm gonna go by Sportsmens Warehouse tomorrow after church and see if they have a Winchester version of FNAR in stock. I'll let you know if they do if you would like, I'm just wanting to check one out after reading about them.

I totally understand, I handed my father mine recently it was the first time he had handled one since 1965 and he said he had forgotten how dang heavy they are. I'm gonna go by Sportsmens Warehouse tomorrow after church and see if they have a Winchester version of FNAR in stock. I'll let you know if they do if you would like, I'm just wanting to check one out after reading about them.

Almond if you would I would definitely appreciate it, cheapest I have found on gunbroker was $980...which is still cheaper then the closest FNAR at $1250.00 I will make the hour and a half drive to save a couple hundred bucks or waiting for someone to mail me a firearm. :up:

Guest gcrookston

I have an M1a and an AR platform in 308. Both are great rifles. The FNAR is, however, much lighter than either and in my experience, just as accurate (<Moa). When I was whittling down the herd last year I picked the FNAR as one of the first to shed because it is so light.

Not that it isn't a great gun; it is. But from the bench the extra weight of the other designs is less work.

Guest BigShot

Best accuracy I've ever had with a rifle without working a load up to tune it.

However, here's some food for thought...

- Out-of-the-box 1" groups @ 100 yards with clunker ammo. The good stuff will pop dimes.

- GC is right on about the bipod bouncing on the bench. I'm wondering if it's the angle of the stock. Still playing with that.

- Did a deep clean and lube. There are a LOT of small intricate parts on this action. That's not a bad or a good thing just a concern of mine and something you should know.

- Extra magazines... wow, ow, ow... take your time looking. There are deals out there but you have to wait on backorder. Got mine for $49 from Midway after a 2 month wait. If you want them now, they'll be $79 each.

- Mounting a 56mm scope was painless using a GG&G quick detach with solid 30mm rings. Leaves just about a 1/4 inch of clearance for the Butler Creek scope caps.

It all works together for a sweet package as a long ranger BUT, for me, should not be considered as anything else. An M1A is simple in design and heavy compared to the FNAR and they have plenty of replacement surplus parts available if you bent something. I'm not aware of quick fixes for the FNAR unless this Winchester SXAR gets it's supply kickstarted.

Overall, my FNAR is a keeper for it's 100-400 yard performance on targets and critters in the cornfield. For inside 100, I grab the M1A Scout Squad and light up!!

MVC-852X.jpg

MVC-8512.jpg

GGGQuickMount30mm.jpg

Guest gcrookston

I believe parts won't be a problem Bigshot. It's basically a Browning BAR. I had the medium barrel and it was, as you report, sub 1moa out of the box. With 168gr match I was producing 0.50-0.75" groups consistantly at 100 yrds. I never had the thing apart, as I fired less then 40 rounds through it before I sold it. Extra mags are an issue. I found one 20 rounder in Mt Juliet for $49.00 last year at the reloaders bench. I will probably get another one day, a heavy barrel this time and thread it for my Suppressor.

Ditto on the GG&G mount. I have a couple of these, one on my SASS holding a MK4, another on my Varminter holding a Burris XTR. I also like A.R.M.S. mounts, hard to decide which is better.

What sort of bipod is that? I've been a Harris guy for a long time, have them on all my long guns.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest 70below

I bought my most recent PSL from Centerfire.......hard to beat for $449 delivered (got it on a free shipping day). That one comes with no optic. Get yourself a better quality piece of glass and you'll be much happier in the long run and you still won't have near into it as you would into even the SX-AR.

If precision is really whats important though, as the others say, get something else. If cheap, repeatable hits on a steel plates at multiple distances is your thing though, the PSL is hard to beat for the money. I went with a Russian sniper scope called the 1P21.......there are pluses and minuses to it, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Guest BigShot
Went to Sportsmans Warehouse today(super nice ppl) and they ordered me an SX-AR from another one of their stores. $849.99 + $20 ship :-D

That is a GREAT deal... you did good!!

Can't wait for the range report. :poop:

Guest BigShot
What sort of bipod is that?

It is from Command Arms. I did not care for the high price for the Tango Down or the external springs on the Harris types. Ran into one of these and found them on the net for $84 and free shipping. Had to try it.

The legs have notches for height adjust and you just pull the main shafts out to fold the legs under OR forward. I have been pleased with it.

Guest BigShot
Can i borrow your optics :poop:....it might be awhile for the range report...but its a start...what kind of magnification...scope setup do you all recommend?

Mark....didnt think about ording mags *DOH*

Meet me down at Charlie Hafner's Range (old Owl Hollow) and we can certainly slap it on there and play a little while. Just let me know when. No sweat!!

I knew I wanted out to 400 yards so I chose 3.5x15x56 for long range good dusk vision which meant 30mm tubes.

Edited by BigShot