The Armory Lebanon Tn.

Guest thejlb

Guest thejlb

Took My Springfield 1911 there today. Was having jamming issues. Nothing huge but at least once a clip. He's gonna do some machining. The guys there are friendly and intelligent. Just have never dealt with them before Should I would nervous. Or should I be anxious to get my gun back so I can enjoy shooting it the way its meant to.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coldblackwind

I've done some trading with them, but haven't had any work done by them. Good guys, and Curtis seems to really look out for his customers. Saw some of the work they had some on some other guns while I was there though, pretty nice stuff.

Guest thejlb

Well I tried wolf, winchester ball ammo, and my buddy had some defender I think it was.It didn't do it with the defender, but I only had 4 rounds of it. The guy at the armory tried his ammo. Did the same thing.

They recommended last week buying a Wilson mag which I did and it still did nothing. No biggie as I wanted a wilson mag anyway. Still did it. On top of that I bought a new extractor as well from wilson 2 months ago.

The bullet proof one. Mainly caue I was trying to diagnose it and fix it myself. That was about all I could do to it.

I have never had a guinsmith work on my gun before. Maybe he's crazy I hope to god not though. It's all about my girl. We went shooting a couple months ago and it jammed on me and the one of the guys at coal creek saw it and rushed over to make sure everything was ok, and now my girlfriend won't touch the gun cause shes scared of something going wrong when she shoots it. I didn't like her being nervous about it.

So I tried to fix it myself but no luck.

Guest davidz71

I have 5 Chip McCormick 8 rd. magazines and 2 of his Powermag magazines. I also have one 7 rd. and five 8 round Wilson magazines. All do great in my series 80 Gold Cup, my SA compensated Defender and a 1991 Commander. A guy I know says that he has tried several Powermag magazines in his series 70 Colt 5" and his pistol kept jambing. Soooo, how many other magazines have you tried?

Oh forgot, my XD40, when new, would choke on WW white box 40 S&W ammo. Switched to Rem. UMC for 150 rounds to break it in and it ran fine on the WW from then on. Strange.

Guest thejlb

I've tried 2 factory springfield mags and 2 wilson 8rnd mags. The price of the 2 wilson mags was almost double what he's charging to fix it.

leave the mags loaded, it seems to me that doing this helps makes things better.

Also have you lubed the gun properly? Grease what slides and oil what twists or pivots.

My 1911 used to jam until I was educated on using grease not oil on the slide.

Guest thejlb

Yeah I was trying to avoid this. Mainly cause I'm not that knowledgable about my 1911 yet. This is how my bullet is getting jammed. /. Not at that exact angle but should give you a good idea. The way he was explaining it is the barrel wasn't lining up properly causing it to do that. Now he was gonna machine it so that theres no difference in from the chamber to the barrel. He said it wasn't a common problem but it has happened enough to where he new what it needed. His confidence sold me.So hopefully that fixes it.

Mike.357 Yes I always leave my magazines loaded. Now I oil it how you would most guns I guess, I never greased it though. First I've heard of greasing it.

• Administrator

It is not uncommon for mass produced 1911s to need their chamber reamed out to SAAMI spec to cure failures to feed. If that's all they are doing, I would rest easy.

That said... why the hell do people take their guns to places they've never dealt with before and THEN ask if it was a good idea? Seems bassackwards to me. Logic would seem to dictate that you would ask for a referral first and then act on what you learned. :)

Oh well. Good luck. :D

Guest thejlb

Well I have never dealt with any gunsmith before, my options were kind of limited. Everybody I talked to said buy a wislon mag. Bought 2 figured what could it hurt to have 2 wilson mags anyway. Kind of had me at his mercy. I needed my gun fixed and he offered a decent price.

Edited by thejlb
Guest Ae-35

Once again, why didn't you contact SA about the problem ? They have great CC and most of the time will fix the gun even if you bought it used.They just about always pay shipping around trip!!

Once again, why didn't you contact SA about the problem ? They have great CC and most of the time will fix the gun even if you bought it used.They just about always pay shipping around trip!!

IMHO, this would have been the way I would have handled it as well, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20 :koolaid:. I have been in the Armory a couple of times and have seen them at the gun shows so please let us know how this turns out for you.

Guest thejlb

I did contact Springfield. They told me to try another magazine. Didn't mention anything about sending it to them. So I didn't think they would fix it for free. Not to mention it was mostly stock when I had issues. In about a week it's gonna get some serious upgrades. If not a whole new gun.

Mike.357 who educated you on your 1911. Did you read it in a book, online or someone teach you. I have done some searches online about 1911. Mostly they just praise the design and explain it a little. I'm trying to learn this gun inside and out. Got assembly and dissasembly down for the most part. Everybody tells the gun is meant to shoot stock and not be customized. I know I hate the trigger pull. Wondering weather a skeletonized trigger would make it feel different.

Obviously I'd like to do upgrades that don't hurt the overall integrity of the gun. Need to shoot right everytime for starters.

Edited by thejlb

what little I know about a 1911 I learned here and from Mark@sea.

Greasing the rails instead of oiling I learned specifically from Mark and Verbal Kint.

I only have a basic GI style RIA 1911 and it used to be totally unreliable. I wasted money on a couple of Wilson mags, as I was encouraged that these would solve feed issues. Well they did nothing to solve problems. Once I used grease instead of oil the gun became pretty much 100% reliable with FMJ or JHP ammo, even semi wad cutters feed good through it.

I use regular 7 round GI mags in it for the most part, the Wilson mags work now too.

No upgrades either, mine is the way JMB intended.

what little I know about a 1911 I learned here and from Mark@sea.

Greasing the rails instead of oiling I learned specifically from Mark and Verbal Kint.

I only have a basic GI style RIA 1911 and it used to be totally unreliable. I wasted money on a couple of Wilson mags, as I was encouraged that these would solve feed issues. Well they did nothing to solve problems. Once I used grease instead of oil the gun became pretty much 100% reliable with FMJ or JHP ammo, even semi wad cutters feed good through it.

I use regular 7 round GI mags in it for the most part, the Wilson mags work now too.

No upgrades either, mine is the way JMB intended.

:hijack: What kind/brand of grease you using?

Guest Ae-35
I did contact Springfield. They told me to try another magazine. Didn't mention anything about sending it to them. So I didn't think they would fix it for free. Not to mention it was mostly stock when I had issues. In about a week it's gonna get some serious upgrades. If not a whole new gun.

Mike.357 who educated you on your 1911. Did you read it in a book, online or someone teach you. I have done some searches online about 1911. Mostly they just praise the design and explain it a little. I'm trying to learn this gun inside and out. Got assembly and dissasembly down for the most part. Everybody tells the gun is meant to shoot stock and not be customized. I know I hate the trigger pull. Wondering weather a skeletonized trigger would make it feel different.

Obviously I'd like to do upgrades that don't hurt the overall integrity of the gun. Need to shoot right everytime for starters.

Look the 1911 is the " Harley Davidson" of handguns, everyone changes them to suit there needs or wants. I could talk to you for days on what you can do or have done to one. After shoot'n 1911's for over 30 years, theres not much that I haven't seen done to one. Jim Clark built me my first comp. gun back in the day. Buy yourself a copy of Bill Wilson's book. You'll learn how a 1911 works and how each part fuctions in relation to the others, ( something a lot of people don't understand). Check out 1911forum.com, checkout the stickies in the gun-smithing section. Lots of good info there.
:D What kind/brand of grease you using?

I use the grease I have on hand which is Polaris All Season grease. It is purple in color and I believe it is marine grade. Slippery stuff and a little goes a long ways. Kind of like the old Brylcream commericals " a little dab will do you".

If I had generic axle grease I would've used that. Grease is grease pretty much.

I use it on all my guns that I dab a little grease on.

On the 1911 I use a little bit on the rails and on the barrel lugs

Guest BigShot
Buy yourself a copy of Bill Wilson's book. You'll learn how a 1911 works and how each part fuctions in relation to the others, ( something a lot of people don't understand). Check out 1911forum.com, checkout the stickies in the gun-smithing section. Lots of good info there.

ABSOLUTELY!! Great info found there on 1911s.

where did you buy the gun? If its new the dealer should take care of it free of charge. If used I'd send it back to SA... any 1911 should feed ball fine. A ramp job is not a big deal to someone that knows what they are doing, but if they dont and they take too much off the ramp or the angle is wrong then it will ruin the barrel.

We have seen many of wanna be gunsmiths try it and wind up buying new barrels.