First Rifle Purchase - Looking for some advice

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As things worked out, after posting my "Wanted To Buy" thread I was contacted and have decided to buy a brand new in the box SCAR...while the SCAR wasn't in my primary list it is one I had also been seriously considering.

I guess now I can start thinking of what goodies I will eventually add to it! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did, in fact, purchase my new SCAR (picked it up on Thursday the 1st.) and after doing an initial cleaning and buying an extra magazine and some ammo, took it to the range this past Sunday (April 4th)...what a blast to shoot!

Now I can start thinking about what I might want to augment the rifle (primarily for "home defense" use and possible for some three-gun competitions) - I'll probably be coming back here for some advice on that! :P

You know; the Sig 556 was something I was leaning toward as I really do like Sig and I liked the feel of their 556 but then the SCAR cam up. :)

I think the SCAR is more than enough rifle for me at the moment and actually, if I were to buy something else right now it would probably be that Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol in 556. :)

The sig 556P is a better balanced pistol than the Carbon 15 and Wife can operate the charging handle easier. I really should have brought one along the other day to show you. Check out the Sig pistol in the SWAT configuration.

I wish you had brought it! Do you have one you want to sell me? :tinfoil:

I'll have to look into it...as I told you, I do like Sig quite a bit although I didn't actually realize they had a 556 pistol...what I had been looking at was their 556 rifle which is an impressive weapon I think. The only thing I noticed with their 556 rifle was that it was a bit "front heavy" (and the magazines seemed sort of crappy)!

At the moment, I'm pretty pleased with the SCAR I picked up from you...it was a blast to shoot and, although it's been years since I've shot a rifle (and never a 5.56) I seemed to be pretty accurate with it just using the iron sights.

Since one of my reasons for buying the SCAR is to be a primary home defense weapon I'm probably going to sell my almost new Mossberg 930 SPX as I have a Benelli SuperNova tactical that is more than adequate for my "shotgun" home defense needs!

If you ever want to invite me to your place to come do some shooting just let me know...maybe I can pick up some fresh eggs while I'm there. :)