Concealed carry and Bonnaroo

Guest vlidius

Guest vlidius

Greetings,

I live in Michigan and plan on visiting your great state to attend Bonnaroo but i am unclear on how your laws address an event like Bonnaroo. It goes without saying that complete sobriety will be upheld whenever I am carrying. I have a CPL and Tennessee does have a reciprocity agreement with Michigan.

As I understand Bonnaroo could be considered to be 2 separate places. There is the campground, where there is no alcohol sold, and centeroo, where alcohol is sold for immediate consumption. I ahve no idea if this matters based on Tennessee law. In Michigan, depending on what percent of revenue was derived from the sale of the alcohol, it could be a problem.

If there is a Bonnaroo policy against guns does that carry force of law? In Michigan we are allowed to disregard 'no guns' signs as it is not considered trespassing till we are asked to leave and refuse.

While I am interested in hearing opinions on if its a good idea or a bad idea my primary interest here is to determine legality.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad Idea. I'll be there, in a press area somewhere. Alcohol is sold for consumption on site of the concerts which makes that a no no might include the campgrounds as well since they are attached to the same event, aside from that if you havent been before it's always really, really crowded so your chances of not hitting a bystander if you do draw are slim to none. I will be, and personally recommend leaving the pistol locked up securely for the entirity of the show. Mine will be locked up for sure while I am at the event.

Guest clsutton21

ABSOLUTELY ZERO weapons at bonnaroo.

That includes knives, guns, bats, skateboards, glass bottles....anything.

They pull you from the car, pat you down, and check your car for everything and most items are confiscated if they aren't allowed.

Also, why the hell would you want to? Have you ever been to Roo? Not exactly the most threatening crowd...zero violent crimes. It's just a festival of the love of music and friendship. You won't need to carry there, trust me.

Edited by clsutton21
Bad Idea. I'll be there, in a press area somewhere. Alcohol is sold for consumption on site of the concerts which makes that a no no might include the campgrounds as well since they are attached to the same event, aside from that if you havent been before it's always really, really crowded so your chances of not hitting a bystander if you do draw are slim to none. I will be, and personally recommend leaving the pistol locked up securely for the entirity of the show. Mine will be locked up for sure while I am at the event.

Actually the law only prevents carry "within the confines of a building" open to the public that serves alcohol for onsite consumption.

That being said, although I've never been, I imagine, as someone else said, there is a search and they can prohibit any weapons or items they choose.

To others...have you thought that maybe he isn't as worried about carry at the event as the hundred of miles to get here, then what to do about it once he arrives?

Guest db99wj

He's coming from Michigan, that's a long drive, I wouldn't make that drive without being armed.

What can he do with his firearm when he gets here so that he doesn't get in trouble?

Edit: Dangit Fallguy! :shakesfist::rock:

Guest db99wj

Are there any ranges that have storage lockers, or something like that, so that he can store it, while he is at the festival then pick it up on the way out?

Might consider talking to a local gun shop, those from the area might be able to tell you who and where, that might hold it for you?

I'm thinking out loud here, so bare with me! ;)

Actually the law only prevents carry "within the confines of a building" open to the public that serves alcohol for onsite consumption.

That being said, although I've never been, I imagine, as someone else said, there is a search and they can prohibit any weapons or items they choose.

To others...have you thought that maybe he isn't as worried about carry at the event as the hundred of miles to get here, then what to do about it once he arrives?

Good to know thanks for the correction fallguy. Would this make carry legal on say an outside deck of somewhere that served alcohol?

Good to know thanks for the correction fallguy. Would this make carry legal on say an outside deck of somewhere that served alcohol?

That has been a topic of debate...

But if you have to go through the building to get to the deck...

Just keep your fingers crossed for HB3125 to pass

Guest Jamie

I'm thinking out loud here, so bare with me! ;)

Nope, not gonna do it.

May bear with you, but will certainly not bare with you. :eek:;):D

Concerning Bonaroo, I wonder if they're going to search locked containers in the trunk of a vehicle... That may ( or may not ) be one way to store a gun while there.

J.

Guest Jamie
Fine, be that way.;);)

Trust me, it would scare the hell out'a people if I did. :eek:

Oh, and another thought; somebody here that lives close by could volunteer to hold the guy's gun, if he was willing and wanted to drop it off.

That's about the best I can come up with.

J.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
The Outpost Armory is nearby. Maybe they could offer a storage option.

Be careful with this line of thinking. I don't know the legalities of it, but there is a chance that the FFL (outpost in this case) would have to make you fill out a form 4473 with a background check before returning the gun to you. Similar to what a pawnshop has to do if you pawn a gun and then go back to get it later.

Guest db99wj
Be careful with this line of thinking. I don't know the legalities of it, but there is a chance that the FFL (outpost in this case) would have to make you fill out a form 4473 with a background check before returning the gun to you. Similar to what a pawnshop has to do if you pawn a gun and then go back to get it later.

That is true, does the Outpost have lockers that customers can put their stuff in while they go shoot? Could "rent" one, provide your own lock, then come back at the end of the festival.;)

If you are not camping on site but staying at a hotel look for one that has a safe in the room or at a minimum has a safe deposit box you can store items in. This was what I did when I was out of town and would be going places that did not allow carry.

You might also contact some of the local banks and see if they rent boxes. I know you would have to go there during banking hours but at least you would have piece of mind knowing your firearm was safe.

And sorry - but some guy I don't know from Michigan is not keeping his guns in my safe. There is very little chance something would happen but if it did, I don't want to be responsible for your gear.

Guest vlidius

Having it on my for the trip down is the primary concern.

Is Tennessee like Michigan in that if it is unloaded and in a box it is not concealed and treated totally differently then having it on my person?