Concealed carry and Bonnaroo

Guest vlidius

Don't have a dog in this fight but all the, "Why would you want to carry at Bonnaroo," questions remind me a whole lot of the, "Why do you feel that you can't go out to eat without a gun strapped to your hip," questions the antis throw at us over the issue of restaurant carry. How many times have any of you been to a restaurant? How many times have you had to shoot your way out - or defend yourself with a firearm in the parking lot? For me, the number of such instances is exactly zero - but I still want to be able to carry when I go in to eat and have a glass of tea, regardless of what the guy at the table next to me is drinking. Why is it any more unreasonable to ask about carrying at Bonnaroo? Personally, I think that the question of whether or not one can carry at _______ is a valid one (insert 'Applebee's, Bonnaroo or the local Walmart into that blank - all the same, to me) quite apart from the fact that he will be making the drive from Michigan. Sure, if he can't legally carry then he can't - but I don't blame him one bit for asking.

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know why you can't bring ammo into a bank?

This kind of baloney just confuses people.

There is no law in TN that someone can't carry a gun or ammo into a bank.

I know of no law that would prohibit even someone without a permit from taking an unloaded gun, and ammo into a bank to put into a safety deposit box.

Guest crystalm

I 2nd (3rd, 4th, whatever) the bank idea. Bank tellers do not need to know what you're putting in a safe deposit box and you don't need to tell them. Its probably the safest way to go!

On an OT note - If you survived Ypsi, you can survive Bonnaroo. I lived in Ypsi for over 10 years total. Road trip tips - the cheaper places to get gas on the way down are the Love's and truck stops - and it gets cheaper the further south you get, Watterson Expressway in Louisville cuts 10 minutes off your trip, and drink coffee to stay awake when driving through Ohio - the drive gets sooooo much better through Kentucky!

Besides, where would he store the ammo? Cant bring ammo into a bank...

The myth that will never die.

I suspect at this point that if TN did make it illegal to carry in a bank, the myth would change to say that you can, since the bank carry myth must survive.

- OS

Guest db99wj
I 2nd (3rd, 4th, whatever) the bank idea. Bank tellers do not need to know what you're putting in a safe deposit box and you don't need to tell them. Its probably the safest way to go!

On an OT note - If you survived Ypsi, you can survive Bonnaroo. I lived in Ypsi for over 10 years total. Road trip tips - the cheaper places to get gas on the way down are the Love's and truck stops - and it gets cheaper the further south you get, Watterson Expressway in Louisville cuts 10 minutes off your trip, and drink coffee to stay awake when driving through Ohio - the drive gets sooooo much better through Kentucky!

Most banks have a room or an area that is private so that you can open and do whatever with your box. If you go this route, make sure there is no early close fees. You might even tell them what you are doing, not what you are putting in, just that you have some valuables, want to safe guard while at the festival. It is no business what goes in the box, when I worked for Regions, we didn't and tried not to even see what was in them.

I have avoided Bonnaroo like the plague up till this year, I gave in and agreed to go... I'm not going to carry, mainly because I doubt I'll be able to enjoy the masses of stinking hippes while sober.

Such is life.

I know I could smuggle in a carry weapon, and I know it's not 'illegal' to do so since they never properly post and the alcohol isn't being served within the confines of a building... but if there's a risk of being caught with it, there's the risk of being ejected and ruining the experience for those who invited me. I'd rather try my best to have fun, and if something bad happens to me because I unable to adequetely defend myself, that's on their concience. I'm not going to agonize over it.

I went in 2007 and stayed sober the entire time. Yes a lot of hippies were there but I had a very good time and would go for another trip again. This year looks exceptionally good also.

To the OP.

The place has two perimeters. One outer one has all the camping. You park your car and pitch a tent outside it. You can leave your pistol in the car the whole time obviously. When you go up to see the shows you must go through another perimeter where you are patted down each time. They dont allow outside beer or obvious drugs through. I never saw them take a weapon but both of the previous several times.