Gun Safe

Guest utarch00

Guest utarch00

I have decided to do the responsible and smart thing this year for Christmas and get a safe. I have narrowed it down to the following.

Stack-On ELITE

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2511914&cp=2367824.2292572.2292624.2292630&fbx=1&cp=2367824.2292572.2292624&fbn=Fire+Resistant%7CYes&f=PAD%2FType%3A+Lock%2FCombination&f=PAD%2FFire+Resistant%2FYes&fbc=1&categoryId=2292630&fr=StorePrice%2FDSP%2F00030000%2F00060000&parentPage=search&searchId=20579920323

Cannon Fire Safe

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/firearm_safes&start=0&selectedSKU=0340-00542-0022

Does anyone have experience with either one of these or have a different or better suggestion? I would rather not go higher in price then these.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mc30707

I bought a Heritage Fortress last weekend at Benton shooters supply. They had them on sale for $550. It does give you piece of mind when your not home.

I have had two Stackon safes (no one even needs to look at cabinets !)

They are very sturdy and worth the money. If I ever get a home with a concrete floor area, like a basement, I'm getting one of those big suckers that weighs 1K and bolting it in! Right now, this puppy at about 450 lbs is doing the job quite nicely.

Anything with about a 30 minute fire rating should do you well.

Dick's won't do anything past put it in your truck though.

Guest bkelm18

I read an article once that basically said all those fancy fire ratings don't mean a whole lot. The way they test them is they slowly heat them up to the rated temperature over an hour or whatever the rated time is. Problem is real fires don't take an hour to heat up to maximum temp, they heat up instantly. So instead of your safe heating up to 1000 degrees or whatever over an hour, it almost instantly heats up and stays at 1000 degrees for an hour or more, pretty much destroying whatever is inside. Now I've never really researched a whole lot into safes so I don't know if what they said is valid, but I thought it was interesting point.

Basically unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars you are buying a residential security container. The listed fire ratings are better than nothing. Mainly they will keep little fingers out of your guns and it will keep honest people honest. Also works well to deter smash and grab type robberies.

But they will not keep a determined burglar out. If you own a sawz-all inside the safe is a good place to keep it. Make sure you bolt the thing to the flooring or foundation too.

Try to let as few people as possible know you have it. Someone sees you moving it in they know you own guns.

Both of the ones you are choosing between look nice and should serve the purposes it was made for.

Guest utarch00
Just keep a 10 gallon plastic drum on top of it, when it melts in a fire it will douse it a bit.

ROFLMAO

Thank you to everyone that has made recommendations, keep them coming.

I know all about the smash and grab vs. determined burgular arguement. I know I need to bolt it to the floor, etc. It is for piece of mind, when I am away from home and to keep my now more mobile and capable son's hands off of the goods. I am just looking for any comments about these two particular safes and if anyone has a better rcommondation.

I don't know if they have that exact model, but I know Hero-Gear carries Stack-On safes. They had one of the ridiculously big ones in stock when I was up there last week, and I think there is one about that size. Give 'em a call and the model number, I'm sure they can help you out.

I picked up this one from there back in the summer for my Les Baer 1911. It's not a fireproof one, but if the house goes up, I have a LOT more to worry about than a gun (even if it IS a 1911).

**BRENT**

Maybe you pro movers know some tricks. When I finally moved my 450 lb RSC upstairs it took four of us, a good dolly and a lot of grunting and groaning. When I made the purchase I got it out of my truck bed and into the basement by myself. That was not hard at all really. But going up the 12 steps was a back breaker.

I just helped my brother install his redhead from Bass Pro. It was 500 pounds and 2 guys did it with a 2 wheeler. We had to go up a few stairs. It was heavy as hell, but not a problem. Make sure your 2 wheeler has plenty of air in the tires.

Guest gcrookston

I like the cannon you have picked out. Internal hinges, 4 point bolt system in door. I have a Liberty Presidential myself, but one of my brother's has a Cannon and the other a Cobalt. From examining theirs', I think they are pretty much all decent. Don't know anything about the other one, so can't comment.