Nickel finished guns?

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

Hello all. I am wondering if anyone has an idea of how a nickel finished gun holds up through the everyday carry and time at the range. I am looking at a couple of pistols that have nickel finishes and I'm just curious to see how they will hold up? Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do...they are as good as they claim to be. They handle holster wear without problems and they DO NOT rust - One of the best things about them.

Case in point...compare a S&W Model 10 that has been carried for 30 years. Then look at an earlier Nickel M or I frame that has had the same done for pushing 70 or 80 years.

The reason you don't see it much on guns today is twofold...it is expensive -and- EPA regs on the plating process are very strict.

Hello all. I am wondering if anyone has an idea of how a nickel finished gun holds up through the everyday carry and time at the range. I am looking at a couple of pistols that have nickel finishes and I'm just curious to see how they will hold up? Thanks.

Got a couple of nickel plated colts. A 1911 and a python. The finish will hold up well; but will grow cloudy over time (...probably a matter of years, not months...). Mine are over 30 years old, and are showing a little bit of clouding on the slide of the 1911. My 1911 has been carried for "special occasions"; not EDC. I like to carry "used", but not abused pistols for EDC. Usually a baby glock. That having been said; nickel is a good, old time finish for a handgun. It will wear much better than blueing on EDC guns.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Guest 1817ak47

of course these gun parts are plated. but canadian dimes and quarters wer solid nickel I believe, and they hold up well. american nickels and the outer cald on our post 64 dimes quarters half dollars and (non)silver dollars is 25% nickel and 75 percent copper and that stuff spends alot of time in pockets

The factory nickel plating done to Colt and S&W handguns is a very high quality finish. As stated above, it will never rust, and ages very well as it very gradually acquires a slight yellowing. It's wear resistance is far higher than blued or painted finishes.

Guest The Highlander

I spent 20+ years in a plating shop...go with stainless or brushed stainless and you'll be happier with the performance of the finish and its durability. That is for a new gun, if you find an old Nickeled gun that looks in good shape, by all means buy and enjoy it.

Don't believe Nickel will not rust, it does. It is a much better performer in salt spray tests and actual use than Parkerized or blued guns, but it is still not as good as stainless. Once the plating begins to flake or peel, look out, it will all come off eventually. Poor adhesion is typically caused by poor cleaning techniques prior to plating, hydrogen embrittlement, etc.

The brushed stainless finishes mimic very well the appearance of Nickel, without the durability issues.

Very few new guns are Nickel plated. I can only think of the recent S&W Classic series, and some of the Colt SAA clones from USFA. Don't confuse Nickel, Stainless, and hard Chromed finishes. Just because they are silver and shiny, doesn't mean they are Nickel.

Nickel is also very easily damaged by certain cleaners and household chemicals that stainless will not even blink at.

Maybe I've just seen far too much Nickel in my career, and I'm just sick of it...but I don't own a single Nickel plated gun, come to think of it, I don't even own a stainless gun! I've got blued steel, and I've got polymer, but no shiny guns.

Sometimes in the machining process, iron (fe) deposits will become embeded at the surface on stainless steel. It is actually these iron deposits that rust, not the base material itself. A simple acid etching process called 'passivating' will take care of this. For a steel to qualify as stainless it has to have 10.5% or more chromium (cr) added to the pot. The more chromium, the more resistance to oxidation.

Brushed stainless or nickel looks great with the stainless being the more durable.