Sheets-o-Truth

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The .357 Sig is a good round, however there are a few flaws in his testing.

He should have tried to standardize barrel length. The .357 and 9mm got 6"

barrels and the .45 a 4.41" barrel. I really don't think the results would have

been any different. I was suprised by the performace of the 9mm out of a

6" barrel. I would have thought it would have gone thru all 3 plates.

However I will continue to stick with a 5" .45acp.

Big problem with this test.....penetrating steel is all about velocity...kind of like when people are comparing 5.56 ammo....it really doesnt surprise me...the 357sig is a good round but you are not going to convince me that a 124gr +p 9mm is superior to a 165 or 230gr 45acp...unless your opponent is wearing steel plates lol.

Big problem with this test.....penetrating steel is all about velocity...kind of like when people are comparing 5.56 ammo....it really doesnt surprise me...the 357sig is a good round but you are not going to convince me that a 124gr +p 9mm is superior to a 165 or 230gr 45acp...unless your opponent is wearing steel plates lol.

...or inside a car doing a drive-by on you.

The .357 Sig is a good round, however there are a few flaws in his testing.

He should have tried to standardize barrel length. The .357 and 9mm got 6"

barrels and the .45 a 4.41" barrel. I really don't think the results would have

been any different. I was suprised by the performace of the 9mm out of a

6" barrel. I would have thought it would have gone thru all 3 plates.

However I will continue to stick with a 5" .45acp.

Yep, most pistol rounds work better with a 6" barrel (and even better in a rifle). I agree with you on the 5" .45, but my 1911 gov is pretty long. I'll never get rid of it, but the next purchase on my list is a 4" 1911.

I prefer carrying one of my 9's, but have much more confidence in the .45. Trying to find the best of both worlds, even if it costs me a little muzzle velocity.

Just seeing the penetration depth and shockwave pics shows me it wouldn't be fun to get hit by any one of them.
+1

+2

The 'possibility' of being attacked by a male silverback gorilla on crack aside, I figure that if an assailant keeps coming after being hit a couple of times with a 9mm then he probably won't be stopped by a .40, .45 or anything else short of a long gun. Heck, for most instances I'd say that an assailant that will keep coming instead of altering his behavior after being hit a couple times with a .38 Special or even the 'lowly' .380 probably has enough adrenaline/drugs/both in his system to still have time do damage no matter what handgun round he is shot with.