Educate Me on AR-15 Please

For months now I've been trying to buy a Savage bolt in .223 to coyote hunt with. None have surfaced, so now I'm considering an AR-15 for the same purpose. My trouble is that I know zilch about the various attributes to be considered in buying one. I've tried to research them, based on what I've seen on various gun sale sites. The volume of information is mind boggling! I see prices from as low as $500 - $600 to a high of roughly $2,500.

I'm not going to pay $2,500 for any gun to hunt coyotes with! I'm thinking my self imposed budget is going to be between $600 - $800, for the best deal I can get. I'm thinking there are probably "basics" I should know about: manufacturers, barrels, receivers, stocks, bolt carriers and actions, and fixed or removable carrying handle. Any help with these "basics" would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Sidewinder
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With that budget, I'd look into CMMG's Bargain Bin, DelTon, or Doublestar. I have an AR and it's a pretty neat piece of machinery for sure. Going from wanting a bolt action to a semi is kind of a big step, though, are you sure it's what you want?

With that budget, I'd look into CMMG's Bargain Bin, DelTon, or Doublestar. I have an AR and it's a pretty neat piece of machinery for sure. Going from wanting a bolt action to a semi is kind of a big step, though, are you sure it's what you want?

Actually, I busted my butt trying to find a Savage in .223 with accutrigger, in a reasonable price range. I'd buy one tomorrow, if I found the right rifle at the right price. Being that it doesn't look like that is going to happen, and a quick follow up shot on a spinning coyote would be nice, and the accuracy boasted of the ARs, I figure it's my second choice. I may have to bump on up closer to 1K to get a good matched up "used" AR-15. Naturally, I figure I'll have to punch some paper to be effective on the yote. Thanks for your info.

For various reasons, I've decided I'm gonna pick up a new model Ruger Mini 14 pretty soon rather than go full tilt AR.

Maybe worth a looksee, if you haven't even considered one.

- OS

I did look at the Mini 14 OS. But, all of my research indicated the ARs were so much more accurate, at much longer ranges, that I thought maybe I'd just bite the bullet ( no pun intended) price wise and go with the AR. I do know I want to stay with the .223 and possibly the .223/5.56 caliber. There seems to be plenty to choose from on GOC and other gun sale sites. Thanks for the input.

I did look at the Mini 14 OS. But, all of my research indicated the ARs were so much more accurate, at much longer ranges, that I thought maybe I'd just bite the bullet ( no pun intended) price wise and go with the AR. I do know I want to stay with the .223 and possibly the .223/5.56 caliber. There seems to be plenty to choose from on GOC and other gun sale sites. Thanks for the input.

I dunno.

Read much on perfectunion.com, rather than the old regurgitated "conventional wisdom"?

The beefed up barrels on the newer 580 581 series ones now certainly seem to put them into same MOA as medium priced ARs.

Anyway, I want one for the eat anything/run filthy reliability.

Tapco has come out with $12 mags for them too, which should be good ones.

Good luck with the search...

- OS

Guest bart_p

Your best bet would be to build one. That way you can get exactly what you want out of the rifle and save a lot of money at the same time. I know that most people that read my suggestion to someone who knows nothing of AR rifles might think it a bit of a tall order, but honestly building an AR is about the easiest endeavor in "gunsmithing" there is. Check out Bravo Company USA. They have a ton of parts and are one of my personal favorite companies to deal with when it comes to everything AR. Good luck

Bart

Guest rystine

Are there no Savage bolt guns on gunbroker or another online gun store? It seems like you would really prefer the bolt gun, and honestly you probably won't be happy until you get that.

If you do plan on getting an AR, building one is definitly the way to go on your budget. You don't really want to buy a $600-800 version of a rifle/carbine that should cost at least $1000.

There are a bunch of Savage .223s on gunbroker, buy one there and have a local dealer do the transfer. I have had good luck with Gunbroker transactions so far. Personally stay away from cheap AR's there is nothing more fustrating, than a poorly fit, poorly functioning AR. Save your money and buy a good one if you go that route.

Thanks to all of you for your input. You've given me a lot to think about. Many of your suggestions interest me, especially the thought of building one. I'm giving this option some serious consideration. I think it could be fun, and save me some money. Thanks again.

• Moderators

I am almost done with building my first AR. Last time I fired one was in BMT when I was in the AF. It has been fun and really easy to do. Once I get my BCG and charging handle I will get to see how good of a job I did, lol. I have to give the experience of building this m4gery a big :) lots-o-fun.

Guest C.O. Arms

Robertson Trading Post in Henderson as 16.5 HBAR style rifles for 689 plus tax and background. The ones I looked at kind of gave me the wants.

Are there any problems with certain "lowers" that I need to watch out for? I'm thinking I need to buy a good quality lower first, and then work from there. What is a good quality lower, and what can I buy a used one for from an individual? Should I go for a complete, instead of a stripped lower? Anyone got one for sale at a decent price? Thanks. cjwaa1@msn.com

Guest 6.8 AR

Most all lowers are the same with different markings on them. Cheap is just fine. You can

add a good trigger to a cheap lower and do wonders with most stuff on top. Get what is in your budget that fits your liking. I have a slew of Essential Arms lowers in most of their variety. They didn't try to gouge during the crunch time. Doublestar and Sun Devil

are fine, from what others have said. I like to stay away from the gougers.

Guest rystine

If you are going to build one, I advise going to brownells and looking at the AR series of videos on that site. You can also order a DVD of it.

It's an absolutely great series that does an awesome job explaining all the basic functions, required tools, and a very detailed step by step instruction of how to put an AR together. Really I recommend it for any AR owner, regardless of if you build one or not.

GunTech : How to Build An AR-15 Video - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

yep....

since you have a bolt gun, go w/ the AR. you will love it.

Stay away from Century lowers, there are a few others that are junk...

you can't beat this with a stick: $85.00!

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=104

BCM is the Shiz for the money, Delton/DoubleStar/CMMG, all good lowers for the money.

i've seen 100% complete lowers all over the place for $300ish... two in Chatt. for sale right now. one is RRA and the other is S&W. both great lowers.

also, in middle TN is one of the largest upper distributors around, they sell a lot of Rock River for screaming good deals. Last i checked, they had these the Predator upper and Pursuit uppers for less then RRA had them. and these things rock.

Rock River Arms: Varmint A4 Upper Half

Call Wayne at 615-423-1856

Edited by crashgordan
Guest Plus1Hdcp

I built a AR with a DelTon lower and DPMS lower parts kit. I learned a lot during the build and love the results. I purchased a Delton upper for the rifle but have also used the barrel from my bushmaster. I used the videos from Brownells to walk me through the steps.

By the way, I also have the Savage in .223 and that too is a great rifle. Good luck.

Also, just saw on the del-ton site they are asking 465 for a light weight rifle kit. Just add a stripped lower and you should be in the game for less than 6 bills.

Edited by Plus1Hdcp

Wow! There is an education to be had on the ARs, isn't there? Thanks to everyone for your input. All the differences is mind boggling! I'm still doing research, but it looks like one could be built a lot cheaper than for what I see them advertised on the gun sale sites. I'd still be willing to buy a complete one, at the right price though, and spend my time shooting instead of building. Thanks to everyone, and I'll still take all the tips I can get.

I know everyone has an opinion... but, I'm considering a Double Star factory gun. Anything to look out for? Good points and bad points would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Sidewinder
Report on Aouble Star factory Gun Please.
Are there no Savage bolt guns on gunbroker or another online gun store? It seems like you would really prefer the bolt gun, and honestly you probably won't be happy until you get that.

If you do plan on getting an AR, building one is definitly the way to go on your budget. You don't really want to buy a $600-800 version of a rifle/carbine that should cost at least $1000.

"You don't really want to buy a $600-800 version of a rifle/carbine that should cost at least $1000." Not really sure what you mean by this saying in your post? Ever bought a $20K automobile for $12K because it is no longer new, and the seller "needs" money? I want the most I can get for my money. I believe that's the American way. Thanks for your post.