New fad for tactical rifles?

strickj

Was watching one of the gun shows last night on Sportsman's Channel and noticed a guy shooting an AR with a weird hold on the handgaurd.

Instead of holding it from underneath near the magwell, like most folks I've seen do, he had a very long reach toward the front sight and holding it on the side of the HG.

Is this a newest fad to hit the tactical shooting guys?

:confused:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

I just watched R.Lee Ermey have a shootoff with a guy holding it like you described,

shooting an M16 in full auto, but not like the above pic.

500px-LNLM16a.jpg

Is this what you mean, strickj?

Edited by 6.8 AR
add

If you ever get the chance to attend a Larry Vickers Class, get him to explain to you the "Super Bowl Syndrome".

It will give you a good understanding of where stuff like this usually comes from.

EDIT: Kinda reminds me of all those prissy, uppity royals drinking tea...

Cassatt_Mary_Tea_1879-1880.jpg

Edited by TMMT

It's not really new. All the tacticool kids are doing it. My understanding is that it helps with pointing and accurracy.:confused: The grip is closer to Brasilnuts picture, but the thumb should be more on the side of the firearm pointing toward your target.

Edited by LINKS2K
Guest abailey362

it's good ettiquite, keeping your elbows of the insurgents. He's just gotta get his pinky finger sticking out on his trigger hand and use the right fork to pick up the bodies :confused:

One of my buddies just bought one of those angled foregrips. I didnt think I would like it, but it is really comfortable.
I frankly wish they had invented it sooner. I like the overpronation hold a lot, as it just feels natural to me. I've got one on my Saiga-12, my AK, and my Remington 870 now...lol.
Guest rystine

That technique is getting to be pretty popular. It does look awkward, but alot of guys who know alot more about combat marksmanship than me are using it so I won't criticize.

Techniques are constantly evolving. I know I used to shoot with my support hand on the magwell or close to it. But ever since I tried a vertical grip I haven't gone back. Remember years ago, no one used two hands to fire a pistol. Now it's by far the prefered method. Who knows, maybe in ten or fifteen years everyone will be using this kinda technique with their AR's.

Guest clsutton21
I just watched R.Lee Ermey have a shootoff with a guy holding it like you described,

shooting an M16 in full auto, but not like the above pic.

500px-LNLM16a.jpg

Is this what you mean, strickj?

He held it like that because he was spraying in FA and was trying to out-shoot the AK. I'm assuming he got a lot less muzzle rise this way.

Guest JHatmaker
One of my buddies just bought one of those angled foregrips. I didnt think I would like it, but it is really comfortable.

Same here, I got the chance to shoot a rifle this past weekend that had one on it, and it was pretty comfortable.

Yup, that's it!

Looks very uncomfortable and fatigable

It's not really new. All the tacticool kids are doing it. My understanding is that it helps with pointing and accurracy.:P The grip is closer to Brasilnuts picture, but the thumb should be more on the side of the firearm pointing toward your target.

guys... look closely... what's under his thumb?

there's a reason he's using this grip...;)

4370507848_5bb01deb1f_o.png

FWIW, here's a post from Kyle Defoor's blog, explaining his use of said grip technique:

Kyle Defoor: Carbine Support Grip

That grip style has been around for quite some time. But Chris Costa and others are making it popular. Im happy its popular too because the angle fore grip that they designed has made it really comfortable now.

Guest redbarron06

It does take some time to get used to but you get a much more control on the muzzle of the gun for follow ups and multiple targets. It did originate from the compitetion side but many things have gone back and forth from mil/leo to comp and vice versa.

In the Costa piic he isn not gripping like that because the pressure pad is there, the pressure pad is there because he grips like that. If you watch either of the MAGPUL videos both Costa and Haley grip their carbines like that. Though in the fist one they had thier thumbs forward, inline with the bore. They also do a very good job at explaining why the physics of this grip is better than the broom handle or a mag well grip.

If you doubt the effectiveness of it look at how Jerry Michilek holds his AR. Same grip. I know a coupld of buys that have run the MAGPUL courses and claims to have seen Costa put 6 rounds in a 8 inch circle @ 10 yards in 2 seconds, using a AR10 from the low ready. You wont do that with a magwell grip.

It came from 3 gun competitions.

Exactly! 3gun guys have been holding the rifle this way for years. It allows you to "drive" the gun from target to target a helluva lot faster than the tacticool fore grip. that's why you see 3gunners with rifle length float tubes on carbine length bbls. AMU is now working with extended 16" float tubes. Daniel Horner used one on his winning rifle this year @ the 3Gun Nats.

DaG