Remington 552 questions again

56FordGuy

I asked about the 552 a while back, but I finally purchased a used one. After inspecting it, I have more questions.

For one, I can't find a serial number on this thing anywhere. The gentleman at the gun store put one on the form, and there was a number written on a tag attached to the trigger guard. However, I can't find that (or any) number actually stamped on the rifle. Can anyone tell me where it would usually be found? I've checked the receiver very carefully and can't find anything.

I've been told I can find the year of the rifle by using a three digit number on the side of the barrel. The only thing on the side of my barrel looks like a boat anchor, followed bu a letter, followed by a diamond. I'm obviously missing something here, anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has the serial number on the left side of the receiver right under “Model 552â€. But it’s only about five years old.

If you give Remington a call during working hours they have a historian that will tell you anything you want to know.

Remington .22 rifles made before 1968 usually do not have serial numbers. The barrel dates may be under the wood.

For rifles that don't have a serial number, what is the dealer supposed to do when they sell that rifle? They have to put something on the 4473, don't they?

I pulled the forearm off, all that's stamped on the barrel is a boat anchor shaped thing, then the letters K H, then a diamond.

Mine has the serial number on the left side of the receiver right under “Model 552â€. But it’s only about five years old.

If you give Remington a call during working hours they have a historian that will tell you anything you want to know.

Mine has nothing stamped below the Model 552, but my Fieldmaster does have a serial number in that location. I may try to call Remington on Monday and see if they can help me.

Thanks!

If the rifle has no serial number, The 4473 should just show "no serial number". Many dealers use a stock number, or inscribe one somewhere. This is not required, and a collector will pay rather less for any firearms so marked.

Prior to 1968, there was no requirement for manufacturers to have serial numbers on their products.

The 'KH' letters can help identify the year of manufacture. According to the table at this site:

Remington Barrel date Code

Your rifle barrel was made in May 1961. This date method is unreliable with shotguns like the 870 and 1100 as many have seen barrel changes.

Nice score! These are great rifles and show the best of Remington manufacturing quality. If the rifling looks worn, try de-leading it first. Most .22 rifles don't actually wear the rifling out, but the lead build-up makes it look that way.

Thanks! I had a site to find the year, but it wanted a 3 digit number.

I believe the dealer used a stock number on the 4473, but there are no additional numbers stamped on the rifle anywhere.

I would not have guessed 1961. It's got a few wear marks, some marks from what looks like a dovetail scope mount being removed, but generally looks like it's been well taken care of. I put a few hundred rounds through it, and it's pretty accurate. Rifling looks good, too.

Remington .22 rifles made before 1968 usually do not have serial numbers. The barrel dates may be under the wood.

That is not entitely accurate. Remington was pretty good about using serial numbers, at least in the case of my early 50's 121 FieldMaster, Winchester on the other hand is another story.

That is not entitely accurate. Remington was pretty good about using serial numbers, at least in the case of my early 50's 121 FieldMaster, Winchester on the other hand is another story.

I just checked. My 121 Fieldmaster is a May, 1951 model and it does have a serial number.

Kind of cool that both my rifles wound up being May manufacture dates, 10 years apart.

"Remington .22 rifles made before 1968 usually do not have serial numbers. "

I have no idea why they decided that certain models needed serial numbers and others don't. All the Model 12 and 121s I've seen have serial numbers. Likewise Model 24 and 241s. But most others do not. Perhaps it has to do with cost as the Models 12 and 24 were the top of the line during their day. Models 31, 41, 66, 77, and 552 do NOT have serial numbers, unless made after 1967. Other models I'm not sure about.