I'm a 1911 owner

Guest bob-e

1bad7up sold me his Kimber Eclipse PROII today and I couldn't be happier. It's a thing of beauty. I have a MTAC holster on the way and am going to the range tomorrow to give her a test drive.

Couple qs for you 1911 guys (I'm a reformed Glocker):

What range ammo do you use?

What carry ammo?

How do you carry it? Chambered and saftied?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Welcome to the club…. There’s no going back now.

Winchester White Box. It’s cheap, relatively clean and I have never had a problem with it.

What carry ammo?

230 grain Federal Hydra-shok

HydraShok45.jpg

Condition 1, cocked and locked.

range ammo : whatever is cheapest

carry ammo : Federal 230 grain Hydrashoks, but I am thinking about switching to Gold Dots since Hyrdrashoks are getting hard to find

carry method : cocked and locked is the way to go

Welcome to the 1911 camp! And if I know anything about CompTac, you'll have your MTAC in about 15 minutes, with candy!

Guest Verbal Kint

What carry ammo?

Welcome to the Church of Browning. Prepare yourself for the oncoming addiction. :)

Range Ammo: Usually Blazer Brass 230gr as it's easily found at WalMart and relatively cheap, and clean firing (as far as .45ACP goes -- which is dirty itself). Winchester White Box is another alternative, although it costs a lil' more than the Blazer Brass.

Carry Ammo: Gold Dot 185gr or 230gr. I choose to use the 185gr more, due to the less recoil. If you're ever forced to use your weapon in a defensive manner, your adrenaline will most likely be pumping and your precision aim will most likely decrease... so every little bit helps, IMO.

Carry Method: Cocked and Locked. This has been debated over and over, through the years, but with the amount of safeties that are incorporated into the 1911 design... there really is no reason to fear carrying it in this manner. Something would have to seriously go wrong, for the gun to AD. Plus, what good is carrying the firearm, if it's not in a state to quickly and effectively be deployed? As Neero stated, "it's the way to go". ;)

Right on. Thanks all. I always carried my Glock cocked and locked, dunno why I thought there was another option with the 1911. The external hammer was just making me go Hmmmm. I also used Gold Dot for carry and Blazer for range. Going to Wal Mart for range rounds now

Guest canynracer
Lucky bastard :)

lol Grats on the 1911. Enjoy it!! :)

;):rofl::rofl:

Verbal...you better put some SERIOUS santa type things in her stocking...otherwise YOURS may end up missing....

is that actually possible with a Glock? I understand what you mean but isn't the term reserved for weapons with safeties?

It has that fancy trigger safety:p

I should have said cocked and locked with a clip in it:lol:

Guest Halfpint

Magtech 230-grain ball. Good, clean-burning, and consistent. Winchester white box is also good--we just stock the Magtech at work so I pick it up at a deep discount. I try to put 200 rounds through it or my USP every other weekend, no problems at all with Magtech, Independence, or WWB.

What carry ammo?

Remington Golden Saber, 230-grain +P. Closest thing to an FMJ profile I've found. I'm waiting on Santa over at FedEx to show up at the shop with my blue Glaser Safety Slugs so I can see how those feed, though.

Cocked and locked, no question and no worries. I carry my USP Compact the same way.

Guest bazookazilla

I believe condition 1 is the safest way to carry. At first it will feel very iffy but if you read more I believe you will find it is more dangerous to carry your 1911 with a round in the chamber and the hammer down. Sorry to be crass, but I think it would be silly to carry without one in the chamber. Buy (if you do not already have) a quality holster and some good JHP ammo. My kimber likes 230 gr Remington Golden Sabers. The Kimber manual says to shoot ball ammo through your pistol. I do not choose to carry ball ammo, but the Golden Saber's shape closely resembles ball ammo and I have not had any problems out of mine with it. I have had MANY problems with inexpensive range factory reloads. If your pistol is anything like mine it will be very picky with what it will shoot reliably. Cheap ammo is OK for the range, but please don't hesitate to spend money on carry ammo.

ps. in case you don't know...carrying ball ammuntion is a bad idea

pps. sorry just had to add that

• Administrator

b00b-E... NICE pistola! :P

If you need to borrow my MTAC until yours arrives, let me know. I can't have a brother walking around without his gun for lack of a holster, nor can I have ya walking around carrying "Mexican Style" with the barrel pointed at your twig and berries. :)