Holster/belt question

Guest rsgillmd

Guest rsgillmd

I'm new to the concept of concealed carry. My handgun carry permit just arrived yesterday. I have a question which is probably basic for most of you.

I have a Sig P229. I got the Glaco N3 IWB holster. I think it's finally broken in because I remove and insert the gun fairly easily but it is still secure. However, I notice when I draw the gun from the holster, the holster itself seems to come up.

My question is: Is this normal or is it just because I don't have a right size/type of belt, or am I doing something wrong in the way I'm drawing from the holster? Or is it that I just haven't broken in the holster enough?

Granted I haven't had any formal training drawing from a holster (I was waiting for my permit and gun belt before taking the Level II class at Range Master), but I can't imagine why my action would be pulling the holster up.

I have ordered a nylon Wilderness Instructor's gunbelt. I figured because it's adjustable I don't have to worry about wearing extra clothes in the winter and not having a fitting belt. Apparently the belt is out of stock, but it should ship sometime this week.

As an aside, where should I look for magazine carriers to carry spare magazines? Any particular brand I should look for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure your belt is snug as well. before carrying, and still now while not carrying , I have a tendency to wear my belt a notch lose. Just something I developed and keeps my pants from falling off but not secure in place. While carrying I secrue the belt nice and snug, this was uncomfortable at first but just because I was used to wearing my pants loose. Just remember if your pants move your holster will move!

Also a quick sharp upward draw will help prevent the holster from following the gun. Just enough to free the gun then smooth with the follow thru.

Just my two cents

Guest nashvegas

You'll be happy with the Wilderness instructor's belt. Get the 5 stitch model. Really a great piece of gear... it's nice being able to adjust the fit anyway you like... not just in one inch increments.

Guest rsgillmd
A good belt will make a world of difference. It should be at or close to what the clips/snaps are sized for.

For the mag carrier do a web search for mag carriers and see what you like, single/double/leather/kydex/owb/iwb and so on.

Thank you for the replies everyone. They are much appreciated.

Dwarren, I didn't realize there were so many options for mag carriers also. I guess it's time to do some research.

Guest rsgillmd
You'll be happy with the Wilderness instructor's belt. Get the 5 stitch model. Really a great piece of gear... it's nice being able to adjust the fit anyway you like... not just in one inch increments.

Hi Nashvegas. That is the one I ordered. It is reassuring to hear you recommend it.

I placed the order on 4/19 at gmstactical.com. On 4/22 I got a message saying they are out stock and expect a shipment in 7-10 days. So hopefully it'll be shipping soon.

I wore (sp?) my gun for the first time outside of my apartment yesterday when I went to Subway to grab some dinner. It seemed to OK to me when I looked in the mirror, but when I standing in line it seemed like it was printing slightly when I looked down. However, nobody else seemed to notice. I'm sure these jitters will pass with time.

Guest db99wj

That was you? Wow, I was behind you and almost asked what you were carrying!

Just kidding. That feeling will go away, I can carry with shorts and a tshirt with my set up and no one ever knows. A good belt and a holster can't be beat for comfort, access and concealment if need be. You need to be comfortable with your set up, or you could end up being discouraged an not carry as often.

I'm looking at Beltman for my next dress belt.