Musical Milestones

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

I wanted to hear how you got introduced to music. What made the deepest impressions?

1. I grew up hearing what my dad played on the radio: Gerry Rafferty's Baker St., Toto's Hold The Line, Boz Scaggs, Exile, 10cc, Gerry Beckley, Ambrosia.

2. I then got involved by going to my first concert: Hall and Oates from the back risers and the haze I saw lifting from the floor to the ceiling.

3. But then one day, before falling asleep, I got tired of pop radio and turned the dial clockwise and heard "Owwwwwwww ... bark at the moon!" Ozzy!

Which was eye-opening for a 12-year-old. Took a while to sleep after that excitement.

4. My grandmother said she wanted to take me shopping at the then-new but now-flattened Mall of Memphis. I asked if I had to get clothes and she said no. I got the first four Van Halen albums. Never been the same since.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as for me, I'm into some pretty different stuff.

I grew up on old rock and roll vinyls, so the early ones would be stuff like the first time I heard Bowie's Ziggy Stardust, anything the Velvet Underground ever released, and The Clash's London Calling. Those blew my mind as a youngster.

Nowadays, it's the old MS Delta Blues that leaves the biggest impression on me. Bukka White, Skip James, Mississippi John Hurt, Charlie Patton and Son House. There's just no other music like it.

I doubt many folks on here listen to the same stuff as me, but hey, that's what makes us ourselves right? :D

My Dad was a DJ back in the '50's, country radio; he wrote "Be-Bop-a-Lula," discovered/managed Gene Vincent, so the rockabilly vein started in the house. We got to Nashville in '67, and he was National Promotion Director for Monument Records. I grew up with famous/infamous folks around as a part of everyday life. So, my music background was so different and heavy, that's how I wound up doing it for a living.

Neither of my parents are the slightest bit musical. My sister did violin for a while and I did piano for a while (wish I hadn't quit). I joined the 7th grade school band and liked it so I became a band geek (trumpet) from them through my first 2 years of college. It was a great experience with one of the highlights being that I got to peform in the Sydney Opera House with my highschool band.

Once I had quit playing in the band (engineering major) I bought a guitar, an amp, and a few tab books. I really enjoy playing, though I'm genuinely terrible. A few years after I got married my wife decided she'd like to learn to play the banjo. So we got her started in lessons and then I started lessons about a year later. I enjoy playing and listening to instrumental bluegrass. Just when I'd reached "the good stuff" with the lessons, I lost my job and we had to move away from the instructor. We've started a family now and just haven't had time to pursue the music, though we both miss it. I pick-n-grin a couple times a week, my son sits on my lap and helps me sometimes. :D

My personal musical taste is quite varied. I still remember being at a friend's house at about age 12 and hearing Quiet Riot for the first time.... "Bang your head!" :D

I don't like opera, rap, boring classical, or really twangy country/bluegrass music. Beyond that, my current playlist contains a wide variety... Tchaikovsky, Rimsky/Korsakov, Metallica, Machine Head, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Tony Rice, Gov't Mule, SRV, Led Zep, Wynton Marsalis, Dizzy Gillespiem .... lots of stuff.

My mother played the french horn with the Women's Army Corps Band, and until the day she died could pick up any instrument and play it like nobody's business. She was a Glen Miller fan, and I grew up listening to her big band records, until a family friend bought me my first album - Beach Boys Surfin Safari.

Now I listen to almost anything, from Beach Boys and blues to hip hop and Hiatt.

Growing up I was influenced by everyone around me. From what my dad always listened to I got into country and classic rock early on. As I got older, I hung on to the older classic rock, but also added in a little of the newer stuff. Sad thing was that this was in the 80's and as far as my music taste went at the time there wasn't much being offered. Got into big into Metallica around the time of And Justice For All and black, and I'm sure my older sister and her friends played a big role in getting me into that. Since I also still liked the older rock, I also got into their earlier albums alot. It was around this time that I got my first guitar, and learning to play gave me much more appreciation for the great musicians, no matter what instrument they played. My dad always tried to be interested in whatever I was interested in, so he ended up getting him a guitar as well, but never could get into Metallica, so with us playing together I ended up drifting back to more of the classic rock that he listened to in the 70's.

Once I got out of school though I had a major turn around from all of that, and ended up going back to the country music almost 100%. Stayed that way for a while, but once I got divorced I started partying alot, and ended up more into rap/hip hop, whatever they call club music these days. Now I pretty much switch between stations, and if it's a good song I listen to it no matter what type of music it is. It's sad that I've gotten older though, and just can't hardly listen to much of the rock that I use to listen to, but no matter what for some reason I've never gotten tired of anything Ozzy sings.

Guest 6.8 AR

The Beatles, here. I played woodwinds, brass and percussion in school, though. I liked the big band music when I started playing it in school. APSU had the Jazz Collegians

and I got into that, also. Live big band jazz can't be beat ;)

JPS, sounds like your mom was a pretty cool gal.

I wanted to hear how you got introduced to music. What made the deepest impressions?

1. I grew up hearing what my dad played on the radio: Gerry Rafferty's Baker St., Toto's Hold The Line, Boz Scaggs, Exile, 10cc, Gerry Beckley, Ambrosia.

2. I then got involved by going to my first concert: Hall and Oates from the back risers and the haze I saw lifting from the floor to the ceiling.

3. But then one day, before falling asleep, I got tired of pop radio and turned the dial clockwise and heard "Owwwwwwww ... bark at the moon!" Ozzy!

Which was eye-opening for a 12-year-old. Took a while to sleep after that excitement.

4. My grandmother said she wanted to take me shopping at the then-new but now-flattened Mall of Memphis. I asked if I had to get clothes and she said no. I got the first four Van Halen albums. Never been the same since.

Until you stated that the haze was rising to the ceiling I was starting to think we were at the same Hall and Oates show but mine was at Mud Island - no ceiling.

I started off with whatever my parents listened to. Started listening to "metal" with Survivor and "The Eye of the Tiger". Did a stint in the Punk world as well as Metal. Still like listening to Bad Brains, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, TSOL (even the "sell out metal album") Agnostic Front, Seven Seconds etc. Still love my Metal.

Also really enjoy U2 everything from Boy to No Line on the Horizon.

I am very ecletic.

Guest tlondon

I grew up in the 80's so I listened to alot of the "Hair Bands" like, poison, ratt, twisted sister, but I also liked some of the rap from the 80's like L L Cool J, Whodini, and the likes. Now, I still listen to the old stuff but I find myself listening to more contemporary christian music or christian rock like disciple, decypher down, mercyme, jeremy camp......

If you looked at my play list on my MP3 player, you would find a very big difference in the types of music I have on it

Guest jackdm3

But what was your first indoctrination into music? As a kid, most of us listen to the radio or what our parents are playing and we get used to it, but then something really different enters that changes things considerably. We start out "hearing" music but then something comes along and makes us truly "Listen" to what we're hearing.

But what was your first indoctrination into music? As a kid, most of us listen to the radio or what our parents are playing and we get used to it, but then something really different enters that changes things considerably. We start out "hearing" music but then something comes along and makes us truly "Listen" to what we're hearing.

I guess when you put it that way, the more I think back, the first time I actually really started to listen to the music was in the 80's. As bad as I hate to admit it, the guitar play in Poison - Nothin But A Good Time, was the first song that ever got me really interested in what was being played. It's kinda hard to determine though because I'm trying to seperate the music from lyrics. That song got me interested in the music, where I think Metallica - One is the song that made me start paying attention to lyrics a little more and realize that songs really told a story. Coming from a small country town, paying more attention to lyrics and what story was being told is what lead me back to country music. Several of the other songs I got more into later on in life and got away from the 80's hair band type, but thinking back I really don't remember any certain song that sticks out as much as Nothin But A Good Time as far as getting me interested in music.

I guess when you put it that way, the more I think back, the first time I actually really started to listen to the music was in the 80's. As bad as I hate to admit it, the guitar play in Poison - Nothin But A Good Time, was the first song that ever got me really interested in what was being played. It's kinda hard to determine though because I'm trying to seperate the music from lyrics. That song got me interested in the music, where I think Metallica - One is the song that made me start paying attention to lyrics a little more and realize that songs really told a story. Coming from a small country town, paying more attention to lyrics and what story was being told is what lead me back to country music. Several of the other songs I got more into later on in life and got away from the 80's hair band type, but thinking back I really don't remember any certain song that sticks out as much as Nothin But A Good Time as far as getting me interested in music.

C.C Deville is a masterful guitar player. He was classically trained and the chops in most of the Poison songs are definitely note worthy.

Just as Geoff Tate of Queensryche was an Opera singer which shows his vocal ability.

Now Sid Viscious on BASE was a completely different story.

Growing up in Memphis was great for getting addicted to music. We would listen to WHBQ (AM 56) in the car, when I was very young, this discovered FM 100 which was a great rock station back in the day then Rock 103, Still one of my favorites stations to this day.

Saw the Beach Boys at the Coliseum in 6th grade, got Endless Summer, the Beatles Red and Blue albums, and KISS Destroyer the same year. Had the complete Led Zeppelin catalog by 9th grade and most of The Who.

Next concert was Judas Priest in 8th grade at the Auditorium North Hall! From then on I went to just about every major concert in Memphis from 81-85 and there were some good ones. Had orchestra pit seats for the Kinks on the Destroyer tour, saw U2 with a crazy drunken Bono climing up the speaker towers warming up for the J. Geils Band, got Cheap Trick, ZZ Top and John Fogerty autographs.

Hung out at the Antenna Club on Madison some in High School, Wednesday night $3.00 beer bust...saw the Chili Peppers there and The Modifiers featuring John Densmore on drums, The Itals, plus a bunch of other crap.

Went to Music Fest every year at the fairgrounds and still try to make a Beale St fest every few years.

In Knoxville, I used to go to all the good shows and have seen alot here too. All that's slowed down after getting married. :rolleyes: I still mainly listen to New Rock 90, the UT station.

C.C Deville is a masterful guitar player. He was classically trained and the chops in most of the Poison songs are definitely note worthy.

Just as Geoff Tate of Queensryche was an Opera singer which shows his vocal ability.

Now Sid Viscious on BASE was a completely different story.

Always good to see folks that take note to the skill of the individuals in a band, more-so than the entire band or type of music they're playing. Most folks I talk to seem to miss these kinda details on the subject. Like I say, not to take away from some of the lyrics in the Poison songs, but it wasn't the lyrics, or the hair styles, that drew me to their music, it was stricly C.C.'s skills. Personally I don't care if it's a guitar or the bagpipes, if it's played really well I can appreciate it and enjoy listening to it.

Guest jackdm3

I can sing the entire solo to "Talk Dirty To Me" in my head. Same with "Cum On Feel The Noize". Soloists don't do that much anymore. The singers were individual. Not like now.

Always good to see folks that take note to the skill of the individuals in a band, more-so than the entire band or type of music they're playing. Most folks I talk to seem to miss these kinda details on the subject. Like I say, not to take away from some of the lyrics in the Poison songs, but it wasn't the lyrics, or the hair styles, that drew me to their music, it was stricly C.C.'s skills. Personally I don't care if it's a guitar or the bagpipes, if it's played really well I can appreciate it and enjoy listening to it.

+1

While Poison's image is cliche now, how many bands had 6 or 8 top 10 hits off a single album? The songs are simple but they've got a great hook. My ear is drawn to music where the musicianship of the players really stands out. Oh, and I love me some 'pipes! :rolleyes:

Guest jackdm3

Though I hardly listen to it anymore, Def Leppard's "Hysteria" fit that category of having at least 7 hits. But after the next 1 or 2 came out, the band accused the fans of leaving them, and I was turned off. "Pyromania" was my fave anyway.

I play guitar (though not very well) so I am always drawn to the good ones. I liked Vai and Malmsteen. Jeff Johnson etc. There were a bunch.

Randy Rhodes was amazing as well.

Singers - Even Sebastian Bach was a decent singer. I liked that most of the metal bands didn't just get up and scream in the microphone like so many do these days. They actually tried for harmony and melody until they smoked to many marlboro's and had to jump off the stage at their fans.

I think the move Rock Star is funny and true.

Guest jackdm3

Most music fans understand the "Rock Star" storyline immensely. But what took the life out of it, in a way, was Timothy Olyphant saying it was just another acting gig, no more, no less, and Mark Walberg saying he thought rock music was a turn-off. I completely understand when people say you have to take the personal views of the actors out of your perception of a flick, but it sucked hearing it anyway.

Grew up listening to my Mom's country music all the time. My Dad and her had records from when the we teenagers with a good bite of Motown mixed in. We listened to a lot of Southern Gospel music. Rock was the Devil's music.

My Dad listened to FM100 a lot and that is what introduced me to different music. First CD I ever bought was "Hell Freezes Over" the Eagles. A friend let me borrow a Guns and Roses album (the one that had "Welcome to the Jungle" on it). All that was good until I hit the 8th grade.

A friend in the 8th grade made me copies of all of Pantera's albums on cassette tape, and that change my world. I became a Metal Head. Started listening to Rob Zombie, Metallica, Slayer, Type-O-Negative....started mixing in some punk , Dead Kennedys and NOFX. As I went through high school I started appreciating 60's and 70's Rock more, with love affairs with ZZ top, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tom Petty, etc...

When I started playing guitar everything changed. I met a fella that introduced me to the Chet Atkins' style of guitar playing. I fell in love with his music, his arrangements, his style everything. I have attended the CAAS (Chat Atkins Appreciation Society) Convention in Nashville many times. I learned his style and can play a few songs in it. Chester Burton Atkins is what changed my musical mind.

My ipod has a very well mixed up genres of music on it. I will go from Southern Gospel to Heavy Metal, from Percy Sledge to Jackyl, from Bluegrass to Prince. I appreciate Musicians.

I have just recently learned to play:

Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" &

Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah"

Love me some music. I am currently listening to Sirius station Pops "Traditional Classical Music" while I am sitting here working.