Morristown Shooting

Not sure how many of you would see this so I put it on for ya. I hate to hear of anyone loosing their life, BUT I WILL NOT!!!!allow anyone to hurt my family if I can prevent it.

One woman is dead and Hamblen County Sheriff's deputies are looking for two men who ran from the scene of an attempted home invasion at around 1:30 a.m. Saturday.

It happened on Rustic Circle in Morristown at the home of Scott and Penny Knight.

Hamblen County Sheriff Esco Jarnagin said 29-year-old Holly Ann Repasky of Knoxville knocked on the Knights' front door overnight and indicated she was having car trouble.

"Scott Knight was suspicious and grabbed a .22 pistol before answering the door," said Jarnagin.

Jarnagin said when Scott answered the door, two men attempted to force their way into the home. When Scott Knight resisted, the men fired a gun through the door.

"It was some kind of assault weapon based on the shell casings we found at the scene," said Jarnagin. "When Scott fired back, the female was caught in the crossfire and was struck in the throat or chest area."

One of the bullets fired by Knight struck Repasky in a main artery, according to Jarnagin. Deputies found her dead in the street in front of the Knights' home.

"Scott Knight is to be commended on a job well done in defending his family." said Jarnagin. "If he had not taken the action that he took, I'm sure that the family could have been harmed and seriously injured."

Jarnagin said with all of the shots fired, the Knight family "amazingly" escaped any injuries.

The .22 pistol used by Scott Knight was purchased as a Mother's Day gift this weekend for his wife, according to Jarnagin.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story. Glad no "good guys/gals" were hurt. I do, however, hate statements such as this:

"It was some kind of assault weapon based on the shell casings we found at the scene," said Jarnagin.

Guest TNReb
Great story. Glad no "good guys/gals" were hurt. I do, however, hate statements such as this:

I thought the same thing. One article I read recently suggested that we are hurting our cause when we use the term "assault weapon" and that we use the term "modern sporting firearm" instead.

I thought the same thing. One article I read recently suggested that we are hurting our cause when we use the term "assault weapon" and that we use the term "modern sporting firearm" instead.

I forget where I first heard it, but I like the phrase "Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of weapon"...

Neutralize the threat is the goal.

Sometimes it results in death, hopefully on the part of the "bad guy" if someone has to go.

"Assault weapon" from the shell casings . . . Need I go there?

Guest TNReb
I forget where I first heard it, but I like the phrase "Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of weapon"...

I think the article I read made this point, and also that a "weapon" conjures conotations relating to war or crime, while "firearm" is much less threatening.

A guy who buys his wife a gun for Mothers Day and then uses it to defend his home. That's almost a Hallmark Card right there!:D

Amen! :)

Guest Phantom6
I think the article I read made this point, and also that a "weapon" conjures conotations relating to war or crime, while "firearm" is much less threatening.

Amen! :)

First of all anything aimed at me whether it's a slingshot, a BB gun or whatever is an assault type weapon but you are correct, rather than feeding the fires that the Brady Bunch uses in their scare tactics we should really avoid the term assault weapon.

As a trainer of instructors I do not let the instructor candidates use the term weapon. Americans legally own firearms for a variety of reasons other than because we can. More specifically:

1. recreational shooting (target and plinking)
  2. competitive shooting
  3. hunting
  4. personal protection
  5. collecting

Only one of those has anything to do with use against anothr human being. The rest have nothing to do with injuring or killing a human target. I prefer to think of my firearms as tools. They are for doing a specific job. Anyone that knows me understands that's about as politically correct as I get but considering the climate surrounding small arms today it makes more sense.

I'm curious as to how the officer determined that the casings indicated that it came from an assult rifle? The only thing I can think of that would indicate an assulat rifle of something similar by looking at the casings would possibly be links that connect some type of belt fed weapon. Ok possibly an AK I don't think I have ever handled anything that shot AK ammo that was in a bolt gun but if the casings were any other caliber it could have been anything.

Ok possibly an AK I don't think I have ever handled anything that shot AK ammo that was in a bolt gun but if the casings were any other caliber it could have been anything.

The CZ 527 comes in 7.62x39. I believe Zastavia made a bolt gun in that caliber as well that was imported by Charles Daly.

Oh, and the Ruger M77 comes (came?) in 7.62x39.

All bolt guns.

Notwithstanding linked ammo, it's pretty much dumb to make the statement that you know ammo came form an "assault weapon" based on shell casings. And I doubt this attempted home invasion involved a belt-fed weapon.

I am wondering why it matters that a few of you are concerned that the sheriff indicated it was an assault weapon..........if it was a DAMN softball bat....that ....to me...is an assault weapon...

Grab your panties and run for the hills.....OMG!!!!!!!! the sheriff is after our guns!!!!!!!

Guest TNReb
I am wondering why it matters that a few of you are concerned that the sheriff indicated it was an assault weapon..........if it was a DAMN softball bat....that ....to me...is an assault weapon...

Grab your panties and run for the hills.....OMG!!!!!!!! the sheriff is after our guns!!!!!!!

I'm only concerned because the gun-grabbers will be saying "See--all assault weapons are good for is to commit crime and hurt people. And by the way, all guns are assault weapons." When you have a LEO use the term, the sheep tend to give it more credence. That's all I'm saying--don't let them tag any firearm with a negative connotation. For that matter, I can pull off the leather house slipper I'm wearing right now and use it as a deadly weapon (but keep that between us--I don't want anyone to know about my stealth assault weapons! They'll be coming to get them too!) I'm not paranoid--I know everyone's out to get me. :popcorn:

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I'm with you Titan, if it is a weapon and it is being used to assault me or my family, then it is an assault weapon.

Home invasion is a relatively new 'fad' on the crime scene and it is one of my biggest fears when tucking my family in at night. They are happening far to frequently and too close to home.

I'm only concerned because the gun-grabbers will be saying "See--all assault weapons are good for is to commit crime and hurt people. And by the way, all guns are assault weapons." When you have a LEO use the term, the sheep tend to give it more credence. That's all I'm saying--don't let them tag any firearm with a negative connotation.

+1

Was it just me or did anyone else notice an additional infringement on our rights from say, oh 1994 to 2004? The "assault weapon ban" that did absolutely nothing to curb crime, but inconvenienced responsible gun owners. Some of the stupid terms help lead the ignorant to predjudices and support for dumb laws that do nothing more than help anti-gun folks sleep a little better at night.