Need some AR advice

Guest JC1848

Guest JC1848

So I am a long time lurker and am about to make an AR purchase. I needed some advice. This is what the guy said about it:

"Bushmaster AR-15 in .223/5.56 with less than 200 rounds fired. Collapsible stock, adjustable grips, Quad rial, two magazines, Soft carry case and orignal factory case with all papers."

I think I can get it for 800. Does that sound like a good deal or is it just me?

th_bushmasterAR.jpg

Edited by JC1848
trying to fix picture
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pdogkilr

I would wonder why they are getting rid of it - problem maybe?

Add another couple hundred and get a new Smith&Wesson M&P 15.

If this is to be your first AR, don't just jump on the first "good deal" you see. Do some research, look at other brands, visit gunbroker.com and see what various rifles are selling for. There are a lot of AR manufacturers out there these days. Some have been around awhile. Most "name" brands produce reasonable quality - now. Some of them did not worry about quality control early on, some don't worry about it now.

Let your keyboard do the walking.

If you looking for inexpensive functional AR look at the CMMG site under the bargain bin section. They are around $600 for scratched , dented , seconds. I've read on the other forum sites that these are very good buys. Just a thought.

JC:

As others have suggested, do I little research (especially on gunbroker) to see what else is available for around $800. But, assuming there are no problems with the Bushmaster (check the magazine catch and make sure it seats loaded mags correctly, for example), $800 for that package is a decent deal. The quad rail is probably worth $60 to $80, the soft case is worth $20 to $30, so you would need to find a comparable rifle for $750 or less (if you want those additional items).

Guest JC1848

Thanks for the advice. I decided to pass on it. It had a fixed carry handle which was not what I was looking for. I have also been searching and found some decent deals. I think I am going to save a little while longer and get excatly what I want.

Guest benroe

The bushy is a decent price depending on what quad rail is on it. If it has a free floating quad then that is not bad. If it is just the regular quad then I would try to get the price down a bit.

First off, welcome long time lurker....to TGO. The AR world is HUGE with a lot of choices which is wonderful, but also can be confusing to the first time buyer. As others have said, do some research BEFORE you buy. If you have the time, read this list of brand comparisons. It also explains the main components and their terminology for you as well. Feel free to flood us with questions...thats what this community is all about!

M4 CHART

Edited by PaiMei
Guest mac_05evo

I would get a Spike's Tactical M4 LE (or the Midlength LE personally) for about $790 shipped. You will have a much higher quality rifle and it has a lifetime warranty if you ever need it. If you decide to order it use coupon code "ARFCOM" for the discount.

Spikes Tactical