Is $200 a month for cable TV and Internet too much?

DaveTN

I think so too. willy_nilly.gif

Okay I exaggerated it’s $198.15. :rolleyes:

I need to find an alternative to Comcast.

First let me say before everyone starts dising Comcast that I am really happy with the quality, content and service of Comcast. But $200 a month is ridiculous. :rofl:

I have everything Comcast offers including Internet, all premium channels (expect the skin channels) and two HD boxes.

Here’s my priorities maybe someone has some ideas.

1. High Definition. Almost everything I watch is HD including local channels. (4 TV's, Two need HD)

2. Fast Internet. Can’t complain about the speed of Comcast, it’s so fast the numbers don’t matter anymore. We are totally cellular and don’t have phone lines, so replacing it with anything across phone lines (like DSL) would involve the cost of basic phone service.

3. DVR. Gotta have some form of it. I want to watch when it’s convenient for me, and I don’t watch commercials.

4. Premium movie channels. We watch a lot of movies. But I guess I could give this up if it was cost effective to join some kind of movie club.

5. On-demand premium channels and other shows. I guess I would have to give this up unless I stay with cable.

6. Equipment costs. When one of my boxes has a problem I take it to the office a few blocks away and they give me a new one.

Any ideas on what I can do without it hurting to much?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically, you are dewercs. DirecTV will allow you better HD options (I love it and the DVR service is adequate but not the Tivo service they used to offer.)

DSL can rival cable in some cases and the fact that you can bundle services such as Home phone (I only pay for the basic necessities since I have an alarm), DSL, DirecTV and if you are on AT&T for cellular you can put all of that on one bill and they will give you a price break.

If you love Pro-Football and can't stand being forced to watch the Titans or the Colts play, you can get the Sunday Ticket (though you have to pay an additional $100 to get the games in HD.)

From what I can see, they are gonna get you one way or another. I haven't had any complaints since ditching Comcast a few months ago. I got tired of them raising the rates every year but not providing me with better service.

Netflix is an option for movies, especially with downloads to your computer.

Just a quick look on the DirecTV site and they want a whole bunch of money up front, but the first year of service will have your monthly payments at $79 for the first year and then $100 after that. If you decide to go with them let me know, I will send you the refer a friend package and we will each get a little break.

Then again, you could just call them and say, what can you do for me in order for me to leave cable. I did that and they ended up throwing in a whole bunch of free stuff (free DVR, free upgrade to HD, free upgrade to newest HDDVR.) Basically when my "contract" runs out I call them and tell them what Comcast is willing to give me to switch back to them and I see what DirecTV will do to keep me.

I don't think of this as cheating them. After all, what are they really doing for my $90 a month? Not much. Their satellite is sending out a signal that their box is decoding. They don't have to pay anymore for my satellite receiver sitting out there.

Brian is right -play the two providers off each other to keep good rates.

I have Bellsouth Local/LD/DSL, which runs me around 84.00/mo including all the taxes, etc. I have DSL "Extreme" which is supposed to be faster than "Ultra," but try convincing any speed test I've run...

I have DirecTV with HD/HDDVR and LOVE it. $74.00/month. I got DirecTV through BellSouth, giving me an extra $5.00/mo discount.

Only thing I miss with satellite over cable is that you can't get The Weather Channel "Local on the 8s." They sub in a national overview during that time. DirecTV has a channel with weather on it that you can program your local zip into it and get it customized. Ch 101 I think.

Actually, the new DVR boxes will work through your home network wired or wireless. I have a box that uses Tivo that hasn't been hooked in to a phone line for well over a year and it still records and gets its updates. If I ever have issues I plug it in for a moment just to get a signal. Yes you will need a land line but again, if you go with DSL you will need one anyway.

Guest flyfishtn

You can still use TiVO and not the DirecTV DVR service. Just buy from weaknees.

As well, from what I understand the Murfreesboro area will not be getting any more HD channels anytime soon as Camcast has oversubscribed their HD bandwidth and they will need to add core infrastructure to support the growth.

Personally, I have DirecTV, AT&T DSL and telephone service.

Once place to look is if you are using all the movie channels and is "on demand" really worth the extra bucks.

YMMV.

I can't get it here in Clinton, but some phone companies offer what is called naked DSL, meaning you get the high speed but no phone service. It might be worth checking into, Dave.

I have Comcast and I hate them people. I have had service since July that provides TV, Internet and Phone. It is supposed to cost me abotu $130 a month for a years time. Cable includes Encore channels HBO and Starz and we get On Demand.

Not one time has my bill arrived correct. Every month I have to fight with someone on the phone to have the bill adjusted to the promised amount. Seems they do not have a code that makes my TV service the price promised.

I promise when the year is up and they go to jack my rates I am going back to ATT for phone and internet. I can live without the TV reception. I get about 200 channels or so and I swear, way more often than not there is not one thing on that interests me. I have the Nature channel right out my front door.

I hate Comcast.

I can't get it here in Clinton, but some phone companies offer what is called naked DSL, meaning you get the high speed but no phone service. It might be worth checking into, Dave.

You can add Vonage to any high speed internet. Home prices range from $14.99 to $24.99.

I pay 99.00 a month for 3 cell phones and home phone and cable modem and cable tv. unlimited everything and roll over minutes. Comcast is waayyyy too high. Im on Charter.

I used to sell for Comcast, then DirectTV, and then Dish Network. Basically for the money, Dish Network can't be beat, followed by Direct and then Comcast. However as stated earlier, tell them you are going to cancel and they will throw all sorts of offers your way. Just don take the first offer. The usually let you bid your services when they get desperate. Remember Comcast needs to maintain about $78 per customer, so you canusually get close to that - if you play the game right.

Also, if you don't mind playing their games - switch between all three of them taking advantage of their switching offers every two years or so and you can really get great deals.

Keep in mind to ask for every discount you can get or they won't offer them. Act hesitant and make them give you a reason to use their service. The only loyalty you need is to your bank account, because all of them will screw you the first chance they get.

AT&T has a naked DSL now. I think it is about $38. They sent something to me the in mail a few weeks ago. When I moved a few months ago I went from Comcast to Dish Network and I really like Dish Network. I still have Comcast internet. I am think about switching over to AT&T for the DSL.

Guest Jason F.

After dealing with Dish Networks system for 5 days at my parents house I am so glad to be back home to my Comcast. You can keep your satellite systems, I have not had a positive experience with any of them. Rarely if ever do I have service issues with cable either internet or television service. I do not have to pay for "land" line phone service and have a very cheap cell phone package for my wife and I since we use very few minutes. We have pretty much every channel they offer and internet service and we pay something around $150 a month. If I felt like dropping some channels I could get that price down some. Contrary to what I sometimes here I have never really had an issue with Comcast customer service, inf act I have had several very positive experiences with their customer service. Everyone has different needs though and different results from the same service provider so if Comcast is not working for you try someone else out.

FWIW, I have Netflix and LOVE it! I have the 2 movies a month/unlimited movies for $15 after taxes and such. As long as we use it twice a month, we get our money out of it. :doh: And the cool thing is its really quick. I was surprised. Say I send my movie(s) in on Monday... Wednesday we have the next movie. One day each way isn't too bad, I don't think. Probably as quick as it will get in normal mail. And I'm in Murfreesboro, too, so we should have the same speed.

Also, FWIW, TiVO will soon be available on your home computer through Nero (some CD/DVD burning software). More info can be found on TiVO's site here: http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/pressroom/pressreleases/2007/TiVoNero.html

Mike.357: Sounds like you're on the bad side of Comcast billing... I'm on the GREAT side. :eek: I've had high speed internet from them for over a year and a half now and they have YET to charge me for it! I LOVE that it slipped passed them! :doh: I honestly didn't try, either. I did everything I was supposed to... never showed up on my bill... I pretend not to notice. ;)

Brandon

Just a note on the Comcast game.

We found out we were paying for a service that we didn't have to have. It had always been listed in our bundle and just happened to be listed separately one month. So we called and complained...asked to be reimbursed back to the date we got the service. Long story short, we ended up talking to someone in the "retention" department. At the end of our phone call we had our same package, plus movie channels for $10 less a month...and here's the kicker...guaranteed no rate increase for 5 years. Squeaky wheel....

After dealing with Dish Networks system for 5 days at my parents house I am so glad to be back home to my Comcast. You can keep your satellite systems, I have not had a positive experience with any of them. Rarely if ever do I have service issues with cable either internet or television service. I do not have to pay for "land" line phone service and have a very cheap cell phone package for my wife and I since we use very few minutes. We have pretty much every channel they offer and internet service and we pay something around $150 a month. If I felt like dropping some channels I could get that price down some. Contrary to what I sometimes here I have never really had an issue with Comcast customer service, inf act I have had several very positive experiences with their customer service. Everyone has different needs though and different results from the same service provider so if Comcast is not working for you try someone else out.

Problems people have with Dish or Direct have to do with install issues. The only time it should go out is the same time Comcast does. Remember Comcast is satellite also. They just have one big one and then run it on lines to your house. Coincidentally that is also why the picture tends to not be as good.

I noticed this weekend while I was in Nashville that Comcast has alot more HD channels than Time Warner does. I was kinda dissapointed with that. But I have 2 boxes one is a dvr and internet through TW and its just at $100.

Guest Jason F.
Problems people have with Dish or Direct have to do with install issues. The only time it should go out is the same time Comcast does. Remember Comcast is satellite also. They just have one big one and then run it on lines to your house. Coincidentally that is also why the picture tends to not be as good.

A menu that only partially loads and only loads with data one or two days out is not an install issue. A menu system that locks up while it tries to down load the remainder of the data while it has full signal strength and connection is not an install issue. Sorry their system sucks from the top down. My folks system was professionally installed and it runs through cable lines that were in the house functioning flawlessly for 8 years with local cable service. Their methods of customer service also stinks. If you do have a problem with your system be prepared to suffer through a phone call with a person who can provide no help other than to set up a service call that you have to wait a few days for. 90% of any issue I have ever had with Comcast is handled over the phone in 15 to 20 minutes. My father has gone without service for two and half to three days waiting on service.

My issues with DirecTV was that they had to get rid of Tivo. Thanks a lot Tivo. The installs have been great because I tell the installer to set the dish and get a signal to it, leave me a hundred feet of cable or so and some crimp on connectors (the good ones not the ones that you use pliers for) and then go away. I know how to run cable and can do it just as good as they can if not better because I care about my property.

A menu that only partially loads and only loads with data one or two days out is not an install issue. A menu system that locks up while it tries to down load the remainder of the data while it has full signal strength and connection is not an install issue. Sorry their system sucks from the top down. My folks system was professionally installed and it runs through cable lines that were in the house functioning flawlessly for 8 years with local cable service. Their methods of customer service also stinks. If you do have a problem with your system be prepared to suffer through a phone call with a person who can provide no help other than to set up a service call that you have to wait a few days for. 90% of any issue I have ever had with Comcast is handled over the phone in 15 to 20 minutes. My father has gone without service for two and half to three days waiting on service.

If they got service through a third party vendor then they probably got a bad receiver, that would be install. It happens, though Dish usually get's you a new one within a day or two. Something isn't right with your parents setup. hope they get it resolved.