New (to me) Indoor Range in Northeast TN

Well, i kinda stumbled on this one on accident today. Looks like we now have a indoor range in Gray TN. I will go tomorrow and check it out. Looks like its only 2 lanes for now with room to expand.

I told the guy on the phone to become a sponsor on the TGO and he said to bring more info with me tomorrow (which i will do) and he would follow up on it. I am in no way advertising for a firing range that isnt a sponsor. Just saying its there. More info tomorrow after i check it out and talk with them about sponsorship ;)

Gray Kennels & Security

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw an article and a news spot on them. They cater mainly to police and security services. They offer HCP classes but I don't know if Joe Blow public will be allowed to use the range. The place didn't seem too appealing to me. The owner was interviewed on Ch5 and he seemed a bit full of himself Ex military..sniper...seal...leo...went on and on about it. "Anyone who shoots here including LEOs must surrender their weapons to me for inspection and training before shooting here..." I think I'll stick to shooting into the hill behind the house.

Guest 73challenger
I saw an article and a news spot on them. They cater mainly to police and security services. They offer HCP classes but I don't know if Joe Blow public will be allowed to use the range. The place didn't seem too appealing to me. The owner was interviewed on Ch5 and he seemed a bit full of himself Ex military..sniper...seal...leo...went on and on about it. "Anyone who shoots here including LEOs must surrender their weapons to me for inspection and training before shooting here..." I think I'll stick to shooting into the hill behind the house.

That doesn't sound to appealing to me either. I miss the good ole days when point blank was open!

i called yesterday and they said they were open to the public. According to Lester, the range-master can be somewhat harsh if he doesn't know you or doesn't know you have shooting experience. I think that's understandable to a point considering the liability they would face operating a firing range. I'll give ti a full review after i visit this afternoon.

Update*

Just got home from the range. Nice facility. Two lanes with plans to expand in the future. Targets hang up to 35 ft away.

Ken (rangemaster) check my weapons when i arrived. I understand why they would do this. Since i am new there, he asked me to load a magazine and fire off a few rounds. After that he said (ok....your good to go. I will check back in every 10 mins or so.) That was it. Not much to it. Seems to be knowledgeable and very helpful.

Regarding the above posts his attitude/military service; I talked with him at length about what his goals with the facility and his experience. He never once mentioned any military time. I didnt ask but he wasn't wearing it on his sleeve or bragging about it.

IM me if you have any questions or want to talk further.

If you get tired of shooting into the side of the hill, you can always come out to an E. Tn shoot one day Chip! :D

Guest friesepferd

sweet. ill have to stop by. really been hoping for an indoor range around here for wintertime.

this is the only indoor place in tri cities now, correct?

I've heard rumor (to this point, pretty much unsubstantiated) that someone is looking at setting up an indoor range/smith shop in a now-vacant building in the Piney Flats industrial park.

Also, Kettlefoot has some long-range plans that may include an indoor range (hope, hope, hope)...

Guest Boogieman
I too liked Point Blank. Anyone ever say what caused the fire?

I liked it too. Thats where my dad let me shoot his SW99 for the first time and got me alot more interested in handguns. He was mad because I outshot him, lol.

Dad took his HCP class up at the Kennels and said everyone was really nice. He's got a superb douchebag radar so I'll trust his judgement. Unless I get set up somewhere more local when the time comes I'll be taking my HCP class there as well.

I liked it too. Thats where my dad let me shoot his SW99 for the first time and got me alot more interested in handguns. He was mad because I outshot him, lol.

Dad took his HCP class up at the Kennels and said everyone was really nice. He's got a superb douchebag radar so I'll trust his judgement. Unless I get set up somewhere more local when the time comes I'll be taking my HCP class there as well.

I took my HCP class at the Unaka Rod and Gun Club . Other than being a tad chilly shooting outside in February (I was prepared), the class was good.

Guest 73challenger
I've heard rumor (to this point, pretty much unsubstantiated) that someone is looking at setting up an indoor range/smith shop in a now-vacant building in the Piney Flats industrial park.

Also, Kettlefoot has some long-range plans that may include an indoor range (hope, hope, hope)...

I have heard this same rumor. Does the kennel require membership or can I just go there and shoot one time?

Guest Boogieman
I picked a business card for Shooters Edge and drove by their location in the Piney Flats Industrial Park. it is a huge warehouse with a office area built in the front. It looks like it will be a month or two before it opens. www.myshootersedge.com

Now this is going to be awesome!!!