Why are they allowed to publish HCP data

In the thread Do you flaunt your permit, it was brought up that anyone can look up anyone and see if they have a HCP. Why does our government seem to think it is ok to keep publishing information about us for all to see?

It is not like we have commented a crime, we are exercising our Right after paying our dues to the state and in short asking the state to do a back ground check on us as we have nothing to hid, and furthermore and showing our willingness that we plan on no future wrong doing.

I believe databases like one one at used at Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits Information & News from The Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN) has to be in some way interfearing with our rights to privicy. Or such a database might be used by the wrong people to either search for homes with guns or to search for homes that might not be defended.

Guys, I am just getting warmmed up tonight.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of us have been pretty irked about it for well over a year. If you can make the search function work correctly you'll find alot of discussion on this issue.

I would recommend you do something about it but the CA is unyeilding and the legislature has no desire to seal the records. The Dems of course will not and the Repubs started a meager effort last year...until they found out they could use the records for their own purposes (campaigning) and dropped the issue like a hot potato.

Vontar...you HCP? Your profile does not indicate.

Guest bkelm18

The state of TN is not publishing anything. HCP records are public record. All you have to do is submit a FOIA request, which is exactly what the Comm Appeal does. That's their database, not the state's. But yes, I do agree, it should be made private.

I am not HCP yet.

I am taking the class next Month. I was going to take it last Year, however my wife got laid off at work, so we had to cut back on some extras, she is working again now.

So I have been talkign with Mike at Austin's, and I have requested for time off at work next month to take the class. I have been spending some practice time.

Today I went out with a B-27. Fired about 150 rounds with the pistol I plan to use, mostly from 15 yards, All my shots where in the 8 ring.

Over the past year been off and on using it, at various distances but not as much at 15 yards so Today was to work on that. I believe I will be ok. I know I need to get better, more practice time required.

Guest 6.8 AR
No apology necessary. Thank you for the clarification!

Is the TN drivers license database public record? The Tenn Care database? If we are publishing state records, let's publish them all.

Damn good idea. :tinfoil:

Based on my understanding of computers and how others have explained it, I think I can break it down.

They ask the state for the data and built a database, and they may or may not update at set times. So it may at certain times become out of date. So it is possible there could be gaps. However I checked one person I know that has his and he did show up. It even showed me he is going to expire this coming fall.

Guest rsgillmd

Is the TN drivers license database public record? The Tenn Care database? If we are publishing state records, let's publish them all.

If you publish the Tenn Care Database you'd have to publish an encyclopedia. About 3/4 of the patients I take care of at The Med are on Tenn Care. And that is one hospital in one city. I can't imagine how big the list would be for the whole state.

I'm fortunately not on the list yet, but I agree it is ridiculous for a "newspaper" to make information about our HCP status public.

It's my understanding that the CA pays some sort of recurring fee (I guess a "processing" fee or some such) for the data from the state. Something anyone is allowed to do.

Hence some of the mailings that have gone out in the past to HCP holders only.

- OS

It's my understanding that the CA pays some sort of recurring fee (I guess a "processing" fee or some such) for the data from the state. Something anyone is allowed to do.

OK. What kind of s*** storm would be unleashed upon me if I were to buy the Tenn Care information then publish it on a website for all the world to see?

How long do you think it would be before the hue and cry of the masses forced my ISP to remove the site? That is the only way it would come down - They can scream all they want - I would not remove it.

This is strictly for argument's sake. I'm sure I can't afford it - oh, but if I could... I also don't believe it would be given to me because of the privacy act or some crap about it not being in the public interest to release the information.

I wonder how much CA has to pay to get that information?

Maybe since the State needs more Money, we should recommend they increase the fee.

CA:poop: would then raise their price again and print even less pages per day.

CA:poop: would then raise their price again and print even less pages per day.

I would call that a win,

That would be a run away effect we could all live with,

they would print less, have to raise prices, sell even less, have to raise prices, then sell less, higher prices. Soon CA would go away.

Guest 6.8 AR
OK. What kind of s*** storm would be unleashed upon me if I were to buy the Tenn Care information then publish it on a website for all the world to see?

How long do you think it would be before the hue and cry of the masses forced my ISP to remove the site? That is the only way it would come down - They can scream all they want - I would not remove it.

This is strictly for argument's sake. I'm sure I can't afford it - oh, but if I could... I also don't believe it would be given to me because of the privacy act or some crap about it not being in the public interest to release the information.

I've loved redheads all my life, especially feisty ones:D

Now that that's out of the way, I doubt the names on the TennCare list

are privileged, and that ought to be available. It's the medical information

that's private. I imagine it's available because of the information value

to mass mailers. Probably expensive, though, because there a lot more on the rolls. I don't know, but I'll ask the wife when she gets home. She's

the one who deals with HIPA. Ive been long gone from hospitals.

I like your idea;)

Drivers licenses probably would fall under public record, yes. TennCare would be protected by HIPAA regulations.

I gave this some more thought. What about doing a 180 from the CA by instead releasing the names of the eligible people in TN who DO NOT have a handgun permit?

It would level the playing field. If bad guys can find out who has a gun, they should have the same access to those who don't. It would save them some time wandering around to find someone to rob. They can look it up online "Oh, no danger in robbing 666 Hell Street. They are unarmed!"