Is concealed carry in places of worship legal in Tennessee?

Guest Glock23ForMe
actually we use sharks with lasers but close

We used sharks with lasers, until Westboro started bringing harpoons and saying, "God Hates Sharks." We couldn't get the sharks to come back after that

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rockbottom12
why would you carry in a church?

in knoxville a few years ago there was a unitarian church that got blastted away.

same thing in colorado

in knoxville a few years ago there was a unitarian church that got blastted away. ...

July 27, 2008, less than two years ago.

Certainly Greg McKendry would have fared better with a handgun than just using his body to shield others.

- OS

It's interesting how the ones who find it abhorrent to defend one's self with a firearm would trample you to death to get out the door if a shooter came into the building and opened fire.

Yup! Just like this guy -

The whole clip is great, but pertinent part is 1:10 to 3:17

Guest Daniel Leatherwood

As to "Why" carry to Church. Just ask the folks in the little Church in Knoxville, TN. Check what happend there not to long ago.

Had someone who had a permit to carry been there with his gun, then things might have been a little different.

What happened to the 2 question askers?...

lunarpowered, was the legailty of church carry answered to your satisfaction?

gunner, were the reason some gave as to why carry in church compelling or not?

My question was definitely answered.

What do you mean by "2 question askers"? :lol:

My question was definitely answered.

What do you mean by "2 question askers"? :lol:

LOL...yeah not worded the best.

You were question asker 1...asking about the legailty of carry in church.

Gunner was question asker 2...asking about why would someone carry in church.

Guest 1eyedwillie
Unless there is a school attached or is posted you are fine. I carry every Sunday and teach a Sunday school class with kids. I really don't know if you will find it written anywhere. If so they would have to list every place you could carry. It doesn't say anywhere you can't. So good enough for me. Many pastors I talk to carry as well.

The first sentence in MudBugjr's post has not been emphasized enough in this discussion. More than a few churches use their buildings for schools, and the law is pretty specific about that. I even saw one back in the day with a legal posting with all the appropriate language present. Having a school use your church building and the rights you give up versus the benefits is off-topic, but still worthy of thought.

Guest Glock23ForMe

But that's only during the time when the school is actually occupying and using the church as a schoolbuilding. Not just a blanket, you can never carry here, thing.

But that's only during the time when the school is actually occupying and using the church as a schoolbuilding. Not just a blanket, you can never carry here, thing.

Well that depends.

If it is a school, it doesn't matter whether it is public or private or whether students are there or not, you can not carry there.

If it is a church building where some classes are held at times, carry may be ok when students aren't there.

Now I know of one church run school in Jackson, the school building is completely separate from the church and other church owned buildings. In that case I believe that carry would be ok in all places except the school building.

I remember hearing stories growing up, about a preacher that carried a pistol to Church when my dad was a kid. This was a small church back in the mountains.

They joked everyone kept their hands out of the offering plate as it was passed around.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Well that depends.

If it is a school, it doesn't matter whether it is public or private or whether students are there or not, you can not carry there.

If it is a church building where some classes are held at times, carry may be ok when students aren't there.

Now I know of one church run school in Jackson, the school building is completely separate from the church and other church owned buildings. In that case I believe that carry would be ok in all places except the school building.

Yeah, I know that a school is a school is a school and it's a "no-go" unless you are "taking or picking up passengers."

What I was saying was that, I hate using "if" too, but: If a school uses part of the church every Tuesday from 800-900, then on Wednesday and Sunday it should be okay to carry, because it's not a school those days... It's a church. Same thing with any other facility that a school occupies. While they are there, it is school property and no guns, but when they aren't... It should be carry friendly, unless posted.

Yeah, I know that a school is a school is a school and it's a "no-go" unless you are "taking or picking up passengers."

What I was saying was that, I hate using "if" too, but: If a school uses part of the church every Tuesday from 800-900, then on Wednesday and Sunday it should be okay to carry, because it's not a school those days... It's a church. Same thing with any other facility that a school occupies. While they are there, it is school property and no guns, but when they aren't... It should be carry friendly, unless posted.

Sounds about right... :)

I didn't realize it could be this complicated, but the "school" thing can be a factor. I seldom carry at church due to the way I normally dress and my selection of carry weapons has a gap that needs to be filled with something a little more concealable.

Guest 1eyedwillie

39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

(a) As used in this section, “weapon of like kind†includes razors and razor blades, except those used solely for personal shaving, and any sharp pointed or edged instrument, except unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction and maintenance.

(:) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

I'm no attorney, but the words "used by" and "private" would seem to apply to a private school which uses the church buildings by agreement during the week when the church is not otherwise using the facilities, even though they don't actually own the property. In that case weapons are still prohibited on the property even when school is not in session.

Any attorneys here care to comment?

Guest RevScottie
39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

(a) In that case weapons are still prohibited on the property even when school is not in session.

Any attorneys here care to comment?

What if a Church meets in a school building on Sundays? Does their use of the facility make it a Church and not a school thus making carry OK?

Please note that I am NOT giving a legal opinion, just pointing out what the latest Attorney General Opinion has said. Personally, the language "owned, used or operated by" gives me a little concern over the AG's opinion, but the AG opinion appears to indicate the following:

If the property is not owned or operated by a school, then the prohibition applies only when the school is "using" (note the difference from the "used" in the statute) the property. It does on to say that not ALL of the property would be off limits, either.

http://www.tba2.org/tba_files/AG/2009/ag_09_160.pdf