Sig P220 .45acp

sigrug17

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

Great Gun. One of the true end-all guns. This is one of those(like the G17, Ruger GP100, 686, or a good tried and true 1911) that if you have one, you could really go without another gun for the rest of your life. A little big and heavy for EDC, but a great, classic gun. You will never go wrong with a 220.

The P220 is one of the best service/combat .45acp pistols out there. Very accurate, excellent trigger, available in just about any trigger/action/finish/barrel-length flavor you could ask for.

Come to think of it, I can't believe I don't own one myself... I'm going to have to change that soon.

I like it. Tried and true design with great ergos. The ones I've shot were extremely accurate with great triggers. Well, the SA is great. The DA is good for a DA. Standard configuration is a decocker, but you can get SAO with safety if that's your style.

Only cons are that it weighs a lot and it has an 8 round capacity. Of course, some may not see those as cons.

Edited by SavageSig
Guest jrhbb

P220 is all that I carry. It is a little on the large side, but it is a great gun. I plan on this one staying with me for as long as I am able to shoot. Trust it with my life

Guest mikedwood

I recently picked up a used P220 and 200 flawless rounds so far. I even carry it some but unlike my g26 I never forget its there.

I love the said pull on it. Da is OK. Ergonomics on it are really nice.

Would love a g36 but I don't want a poly 45. P220 is super.

I picked up a 220 elite from a member here. I don't have many guns that I would not sell, but this is one of them. The quality and reliability are there, like on all sigs. It has a great weight. The elite has the SRT trigger installed from the factory. I would recommend that over the regular trigger that I have on my 226. The accuracy is on par with any 1911 that I have shot.

The only con that I have is the 8 round mag, like 1911s. I have seen a 10 round mag made by sig, but I haven't heard anything about reliability with it. Another con is the price. They aren't cheap, but you are paying for a real quality handgun. I have seen the videos and read about the torture tests with these, and they are pretty indestructible.

Alternatives would depend on your preference. If you like polymer look at a XDM or XD. I like the grips on those better than a Glock in a .45. I have a .40 in a XDM and love it. It is tough to beat a good 1911. However, I would go with my sig over my Dan Wesson and not think twice.

I have often heard of it referred to as "the thinking man's gun"... not really sure what that means, but I have yet to hear of anyone who did not like them or the quality of them. For what it is worth. (Hope to own one some day.)

Guest mikedwood

I recently picked up a used P220 and 200 flawless rounds so far. I even carry it some but unlike my g26 I never forget its there.

I love the said pull on it. Da is OK. Ergonomics on it are really nice.

Would love a g36 but I don't want a poly 45. P220 is super.

Guest johnmattwill

I have owned 3 different ones over the past 2 years, a classic P220R, a W. German 1981 P220 (no rail) and a P220 R Carry..... The only gun I like better is a 1911.

You can not and I mean NOT go wrong with a Sig P220R...... ;)

I have shot several different P220's in 45 ACP over the years. They are all very accurate and reliable.

The downside is the finish found on most. You need to keep some oil on them, even the "stainless finish" slide. I am sure the stainless model is different but it weighs a great deal more than the AL frame models.

Guest VolGrad

I've had a 220 Carry and a 220 full size but neither stuck around too long. They are a classic gun but I'm not a SA/DA guy. I prefer a 1911 or a GLOCK. For as big and heavy as the 220 is I either want the crisp, smooth SA of a 1911 or the consistent pull of a GLOCK. I recently picked up a XD 45 Tactical with the compact frame. That's a great gun and is about the same size overall. It also is 13+1 or 10+1 depending which mag I choose.

Guest Moody

One word for this gun... OUTSTANDING. It's, as another member put it, my end-all firearm. I picked up a 220 Elite Dark, and it is by far and away my favorite non-1911 gun in my collection. When the SHTF, I'm going for this one, first. Accurate, reliable, handles/holds well, and feels like an extension of the arm, while having enough firepower to get the job done.

I have had a few P220's...great guns...the one I have right now I dont ever plan on getting rid of(course I say that a lot)...its a P220 Sport...all Stainless with a 5.5" barrel and factory compensator and trigger job...gun shoots way better then I do. If you buy a P220 you wont be disappointed...excellent guns...I prefer the non-rail versions.

I have had a few P220's...great guns...the one I have right now I dont ever plan on getting rid of(course I say that a lot)...its a P220 Sport...all Stainless with a 5.5" barrel and factory compensator and trigger job...gun shoots way better then I do. If you buy a P220 you wont be disappointed...excellent guns...I prefer the non-rail versions.

Im with you on that Vince, but the rail on mine has grown on me

I've got a p220 single action only with a five inch match grade barrel. I will not part with this gun. It's my first .45 and I love this thing. I can drive nails with it. I bought it on a whim and it really surprised me how much I like it. I've also got a 226 in .40 and a 239 in .40. All of them shoot really well but the 220 and 239 really stand out against all my other handguns.