I hit a Small snag today

I gave my 9yo my marlin .22 today for his birthday I mounted a scope on it and have a problem. With the scope mounted as far back as possible the eye relief is still to far for him. so I am left with a decision to permanently alter the guns stock(shorten it) .It has a Monte Carlo type stock I figure I can take approx. 3" of the stock without getting into the raised portion on the stock. I'm a lil' nervous about this modification . Cause once I do it there is no turning back . Has anyone else done this type of modification and made it possible to re-attach the removed portion at a later date when he grows into it .I guess I'am looking for a little advice on the matter .I'm not buying him a different gun.It's this or nothing .

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my personal opinion...I don't know the specifics of that gun, but I think it's faily common (i.e., it's not one-of-a-kind). You could probably get another stock for it in the future...or sell it to another dad who has a small boy. You are raising a son and teaching him how to shoot - that is, to me, much more important than the stock on that rifle. If he is interested in guns and you think he'll shoot it, go for it. He may get into a hobby that lasts a lifetime. Heck, he may buy you a gun when you're old...

Later, B

One more thing...I'm still thinking about this. Some of my best times I ever had shooting were with my son. Actually, just watching him shoot. Or putting a tin can out away from us and having a contest to see who could hit it. As with fishing, he is a better shot than I am. Actually, this boy is 14 now and he is better at most everything than I am.

Also, I have two other special needs boys and I don't let them around the guns. However, last night we were playing in the back yard and I brought out an airsoft pistol and helped my middle son (who has Cerebal Palsy and other issues) shoot a few plastic bb's at a target. He was on top of the world and talked about it for the rest of the night. I think this sort of father/son time means much more to the boys than we could ever imagine.

Good luck with cutting the stock...B

Cut the stock. I did it for a Savavge Cub T. If you get a really good saw cut you can mate it up, glue and refinish. Or get a replacement

stock later if it is a popular model. Even with a youth model some of these stocks have too much lenght of pull. It's only a .22.

Good luck and have fun.

here is an idea I just had.

Remove the base plate then drill 4 holes length wise into the stock. 1/4 inch holes more than three inches deep. Making sure that your cut leaves the drill holes intact on both pieces of the stock you will be able to realign the stock and reattach it down the road by using dowl sticks and wood glue. It then should line up once again.

Just a thought.

I appreciate the comebacks,the model 60 is a fairly common rifle so I should be able to find a stock for it later if needed. When I asked him this year if he would like a rifle for his own he said sorta (hesitantly) and said whats the matter he said " Dad I don't just want any rifle I want yours" . I asked him "one just like mine" he said "No I want yours" I again asked "why? I am quite fond of that rifle." He replied "because It's yours and its the one you taught me to shoot with" .Well that just made me heart melt a little and since he said in the past that he liked shooting my brothers rifle with the scope that he wished I put a scope on mine to make it more fun to shoot .So we will be cutting the stock down today .I'll post before and after pics . Mike I stewed on what you said and I believe that with the angle of the cut and the fact that it looks like I'm going to have to cut into the cheek piece. I think It will be a permanent modification. Great Idea though! I will be studying your suggestion when I start taking measurements to see if it will still be possible.If I cut and have to adjust the angle after the initial cut that may or may not work .

Well here is the finished product .

stock1.jpg

stock2.jpg

stock3.jpg

The last pic shows how much I cut off .

Used a Hack Saw to cut off and an orbital sander to true up the wood had to use a dremel on the butt plate to get it even . Took about an hour or so I guess . What you think ?

Edited by Mad_Squirrell

Yeah we will leave the stock youth sized I had to do some finishing to the stock and butt plate to get it just right so the rest of the stock is now landfill material .I found a Dragunov sniper style stock to replace it later for about $37 to fuel his evil black rifle lusts later when he out grows it .

80158187.jpg

80158187.jpg