Are Smith & Wesson Performance Center revolvers worth the money?

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I have never been much of a revolver guy but that is not to say I do not like and/or admire a good wheel-gun. Every time I thought about buying a nice revolver a good deal on an auto-loader would pop up and that's where my money went. However I think it's about time I finally get a nice revolver. I am looking at various new and used S&W and Colt full size framed 0.357 Magnum revolvers, a 5" barrel is ideal but as most revolvers are 4" or 6" either of these lengths would be considered.

One that has sparked my interest and is readily available new is the Smith & Wesson Performance Center 627

Product: Model 627

I like the 5" barrel length, the 8 shot cylinder is a huge plus for me as well, love the wood grips they now come with, and even though I typically prefer bluing on a revolver I really like the 627 in stainless. Typical selling price is in the $1000 neighborhood, after looking around I have seen one can be found for about $966 including shipping.

So what I was wondering, does anyone have any long term experience with this or any of the performance center wheel guns?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Highlander

One of my favorite revolvers is a PC gun, the 586 L-Comp. The PC guns are quite different in configuration from what you can find in the catalog, and that is one reason to buy one. They also receive additional hand-tuning of the action and trigger and such. I love mine, and I'd certainly look at PC revolvers and autos if you like and can afford them. They are kind of special. With that being said, ALL the S&W revolvers are now listing for around $1000 and that is just more than I'm willing to pay for one. I don't mind the lock as much as I mind the price.

My last revolver was a Ruger GP-100 Royal Phoenix. I bought it after looking at S&W Pro Series guns.

The Highlander

I went through the S&W Armorer's school and as part of the class we got to tour the factory including the custom shop. It wasn't what I expected and reminded me of a very old school craftsman's shop. These guys are true artists who take great pride in their work. If I could afford it... You bet I would buy a custom from them especially in a revolver.

I went to the range with my wife's dad a month or so ago. He brought his GP100 and his Single Six in .22LR. They were both tons of fun to shoot, but the .22 was a pain to load. He wants a S&W M&P 9 pretty bad and I liked the .357 so much, I asked him what he'd take for it. I even offered to buy him the Smith to replace it, but he wouldn't.

I'm kind of glad now. I could never carry that hog leg. It's just a Big Mac shy of weighing 4 pounds. It would have been fun at the range, but that's it. Do any of you actually tote around 3.5 to 4 pounds of gun every day?

Do any of you actually tote around 3.5 to 4 pounds of gun every day?

The Ruger website lists the GP100 with a 4.2" barrel at 2.5 lbs, so even loaded it doesn't exceed 3 lbs. I know of a couple of people who carry one every day. I carry the SP101 frequently, which weighs about 2lbs loaded. No problem at all with the right holster and belt. In fact, it's one of my favorite carry weapons.

This is a little off-track, so please pardon me. I have no long term experience withe the PC wheel guns, but I own 2 autos--a 945Micro and a 4013TSW. Both are accurate and fun to shoot, but a little finiky with ammo and need to be well lubed and fanatically clean to function properly. My brothe-in-law has a PC952 that is a dream and doesn't require quite the care mine do. I have handled and shot several PC revolvers, among them several Thunder Ranch variants, and a couple of 44's and a 41 mag. The revolvers in my opinion, are much better and I would, money permitting, would like to have one...or two...

Anyway, I'd put them in a class with the best of the Colt Pythons, and maybe even better. If you've got the bucks, go for it.

The Ruger website lists the GP100 with a 4.2" barrel at 2.5 lbs, so even loaded it doesn't exceed 3 lbs.

My bad guys. I knew the specs said 40 oz, I just did the math wrong. No wonder it seemed so heavy for carrying. I was thinking 2.5# empty plus ammo, but somehow got 3.5# in my head by mistake. Thanks for catching my math blunder.

My bad guys. I knew the specs said 40 oz, I just did the math wrong. No wonder it seemed so heavy for carrying. I was thinking 2.5# empty plus ammo, but somehow got 3.5# in my head by mistake. Thanks for catching my math blunder.

Not a problem. I just didn't want someone considering it to be put off by what they might have perceived as too heavy. I really love mine.

Guest Moody

I do not have any experience with the S&W Performance Center revolvers, besides just handling one (and being very impressed with it), but I do own a Performance Center 1911 (in 9MM), and it's my best-shooting, best-handling gun. Right under it (really, without comparison, because it's just as nice), is a 1911 that I had Jeff at Hero Gear work over for me.

You cannot go wrong with the S&W Performance Center's offerings - they are first-class and superb, with support that is superior to any shop that I've dealt with (they were very astute in answering all of my questions, and one could tell that the person wasn't reading from a catalog of answers - he was a gunsmith, and knew the firearm very well).

Guest FroggyOne2

I don't have a PC revolver.. but I do have a PC semi.. absolutely love it and would not hesitate to buy another PC firearm.. Here is mine.

PC4006-4.jpg