Last day of the season... Hehehe

Ok, so no whitetails....

Some dogs came into our field and ran all the deer off, then sat there and barked at us...

Gotta have a talk with the neighbor... :D

While we were sitting on the porch talking, my friend dared me to pick off one of the crows sitting on the fence posts in the field.

291 yards.

30.06 Remington, 4x16 BSA

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Mike. That was one hell of a good shot. I was bummed I wasn't able to get out yesterday.

I would have a strong talk with the neighbor. Nothing worse that having a neighbors dog ruin a hunt.

I think you need to have the crow mounted. Would make a great conversation piece... :D

Keep knocking the darn pests down. They are one of the worst culprits of giving your position away to the other animals in the field. Some of you might not believe it but I have seen noticable increases in animal movement during seaasons where I can totally camo up vs gun season where the bright orange allows those SOBs to fly over and then circle the area warning everyone that "hes back" "hes back"

Keep knocking the darn pests down. They are one of the worst culprits of giving your position away to the other animals in the field. Some of you might not believe it but I have seen noticable increases in animal movement during seaasons where I can totally camo up vs gun season where the bright orange allows those SOBs to fly over and then circle the area warning everyone that "hes back" "hes back"

I hear you.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Was this on your land? If so, next time we go shooting Im slapping a scope on my AR and I say we try out some 200+ yd shots :D

BTW, nice shot on the crow :D

The squirrels were not as bad this year, I suspect the drought hit them as well. Either way, I find if I maintain quiet and no motion, the squirrels won't alert as much as a crow. The crow just fly over in their morning search patterns and go off as soon as they see me. Of course I'm sitting near the areas where they feed (my plots and drop spots).

I'm thinking of setting up a few blinds next summer near some corn piles and playing duck hunter with the crows!:D Wait for 20 of em to land and then come out blasting.

Has anyone ever shot a crow and then watched the rest of the flock go after the scouts? That is cool as well. If you can ever set it up, hit one that is on the ground. You will note at least two in the trees or other overhead watch positions. If you pop one that thought he was safe, the others will molest the scouts to death. I have heard from another source that he observed the flock actually kill one of the scouts that failed in his duty. Tough luck for him eh!

Guest db99wj
The squirrels were not as bad this year, I suspect the drought hit them as well. Either way, I find if I maintain quiet and no motion, the squirrels won't alert as much as a crow. The crow just fly over in their morning search patterns and go off as soon as they see me. Of course I'm sitting near the areas where they feed (my plots and drop spots).

I'm thinking of setting up a few blinds next summer near some corn piles and playing duck hunter with the crows!:koolaid: Wait for 20 of em to land and then come out blasting.

Has anyone ever shot a crow and then watched the rest of the flock go after the scouts? That is cool as well. If you can ever set it up, hit one that is on the ground. You will note at least two in the trees or other overhead watch positions. If you pop one that thought he was safe, the others will molest the scouts to death. I have heard from another source that he observed the flock actually kill one of the scouts that failed in his duty. Tough luck for him eh!

Never heard that. Very interesting.

Guest Mugster

I'm thinking of setting up a few blinds next summer near some corn piles and playing duck hunter with the crows!:cool: Wait for 20 of em to land and then come out blasting.

I caught a ground blind on sale down at walmart. It has top cover. the crows go right over me now. I believe you could blast alot of them in a rig like that. I might try my hand at it this summer....I have a crow call and a plastic owl, if i can find it. Must be around here somewhere.

+1 on the ground blind. The wife and boys bought me this little blind that looks like a one person tent for turkey hunting next year and I figure I might be able to suprise a crow or 20 with that. As much as I hate them, the darn birds are some of the most intelligent critters out there.

Ok, so no whitetails....

Some dogs came into our field and ran all the deer off, then sat there and barked at us...

Gotta have a talk with the neighbor... :confused:

While we were sitting on the porch talking, my friend dared me to pick off one of the crows sitting on the fence posts in the field.

291 yards.

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

You killed a crow?! :P (only joking)

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so no whitetails....

Gotta have a talk with the neighbor... :tinfoil:

291 yards.

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00087.jpg

Good shot!

• 4 months later...