The Mistique of the .44 magnum

I’m thinking about trading a Colt Mark IV Series 70 .45acp for a S&W model 29 or 629. I haven’t shot a .44mag in 3 decades but I’d like my grandsons to have the experience. It’s a caliber hole in my collection so all they know is Dirty Harry and video games. As I recall it’s a straight wall case, so easy to reload, I may even have dies somewhere. What barrel lengths are most common in this area? The Mountain Guns look like fun but I doubt I’d ever carry a “N†frame snub. How common are they? I’ll stick to my .40’s and .45’s. for carry. Are .44 bullets findable in the area or do I have to call Midway? Thanks

Cherokee Slim

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You might check with Sportsmans Warehouse over on lee highway and 153 they seem to have a pretty good amount of shelf space for reloading supplies . Dad has an older Taurus raging bull with the 8" barrel .Fun gun to shoot. Most .44mag seem to come in the 6-8" variety.

Edited by Mad_Squirrell

Everyone I know that is a serious shooter...reloads and enjoys the 44 magnum. They like lead in midrange loads - 240 or 250 grainers ahead of HS-6 or Unique.

With hot loads 240 grain jacketed and 2400 is the only way to go. you may get slightly more velocity out of VV or H-110, but the edges are much sharper with those powders.

7 1/2" is pretty much the perfect barrel length that doesn't waste powder....You can get Ruger super blackhawks that will serve you well for $400 all day long.

Guest Oaklands

This isn't a .44 but it is my prize and joy .41 model 59. One of the best feeling and shooting revolvers you could ever put in your hand. This one is a permanent keeper.

41magnum001.jpg

Do they stock the S&W 29? Do they trade? I haven't been there in a while. I was able to bet some Unique & Bullseye around Christmas time.

Cherokee Slim

Instead of trading that Colt, why not try to sell it in the classifieds here? You'll get more than any shop will give you on trade and 1911's seem to move pretty fast through the classifieds. Heck, you might even find someone who would want to trade a 29 or 629 for it. Worth a shot anyway if you're not in a huge hurry.
Do they stock the S&W 29? Do they trade? I haven't been there in a while. I was able to bet some Unique & Bullseye around Christmas time.

Cherokee Slim

Sportsmans Warehouse doesn't trade in used guns at all. They are a big box store new guns only .I know of a few shops around me that might stock it but Cleveland is a bit of a drive for a maybe. Another brand to consider would be a Taurus good gun for a lot less . 38501.jpg

You can pick one of these up for around $500 new

I'd strongly suggest you keep the Colt, save up and buy the Smith. If that's outta the question. I'd suggest you sell the Colt, and purchase a used model 29-2 or earlier. You won't be sorry when you see the crafstmanship and quality. I wouldn't want a new one with a lock on it.

I'd strongly suggest you keep the Colt, save up and buy the Smith. If that's outta the question. I'd suggest you sell the Colt, and purchase a used model 29-2 or earlier. You won't be sorry when you see the crafstmanship and quality. I wouldn't want a new one with a lock on it.

Beat me to it Greg. A 29-2 or earlier is the way to go. You might pay about the same for a new 29, but the old ones are superior. With the dash 2 you wil get a pinned bbl and recessed cylinders. After dash 2 you will not see that.

I've got 1 other 1911 Colt & carry the Colt New Agent, so I'm good for .45's. I've had it for sale here but it didn't go. I want to stay with S&W, I've had several Ruger SBH's, even carried one off duty waaaay back for a while. I'll keep looking. I did find the dies so I'll load for like all the other stuff I shoot. Thanks for the input.

Cherokee Slim