OK, who has shot a Glock 19 gen 4?

THE COOP

Since I traded my trusty Glock 19 for my new Sig I want and had been planning to get a G19 gen 4, and I'm curious who has shot one and what they thought about the recoil compared to the gen 3 with the new recoil spring setup? Does it feel like a major recoil reduction or just a little bit? You all know I love my Sigs but I'll admit that my gen 3 G19 was one of the finest carry guns I ever owned however I didnt like the grip and didnt want to stipple the entire frame. I have a G17 gen 4 that I bought for IDPA but my arm hasnt healed enough to be competing in IDPA and will need surgery later this year so maybe next year I'll start competing. Just looking for real world feedback on the Glock 19 gen 4!!!! Thanks all!!!! COOP

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recoil felt the same. Had some ftf's and failures to go into battery. Pistol was still in break in though.

I have heard of quite a few people going back to the standard recoil spring and fixing some of the cycling issues.

Edit: People going to the #3 springs as in the 3rd iteration of the gen 4 spring design, not the gen 3 pistol spring.

Mike

Edited by Mike

I rented one to see if I would like it better than my Gen 2. I put a box through it.

Since it was a rental it appeared to be broke in. I had some FTF and FTB. The reset felt different.

I will keep my Gen 2. At the Fort I have let a few people shoot my Gen 2 and they liked it. Two of my colleagues went out and bought GEN 2's also. It's the finger groves for me

that I don't like.

Thats the most ftf's i've seen in one place on this thread. I'm assuming the above ftf's are failure to 'feed'. I've seen one gen4 (17) with about 1k rounds or so through it have one malfunction and it was a fte/double feed with the stock recoil assembly. Since then it has been used with a jager single spring assembly and the *updated* gen4 9mm stock assembly - glock finally listened and lightened up the stock assembly. No failures to date with it. I assumed that since the updated spring assembly and the gen4 19 came out about the same time that they would have the lighter setup installed, but you never know. I don't know why this is, but IMO your going to see more reports of g19 failures than any of the full size models (this experience comes from gen3 only though). I've had no less than 3 failures both ftf/fte with my gen3 19, and I attribute them to user error personally. My 34 has had one ftf (fire) that was a light strike that I attribute to the firing pin channel being gunked up, I also found a sheared off piece of plastic (could have been brass, it was pretty small) inside the channel. There are a couple good (positive) write-ups here: Gen4 Glock 19 Range Report Thread:Please Place All Gen4 G19 Reports Here - M4Carbine.net Forums

The one constant in gen4 reviews that I also noted in the above link is that the trigger pull feels heavier. Assuming all the other parts in that group are the same weight I'd have to attribute that to the gen4's new trigger bar which has more surface area and little nub on the posterior that appears to add more resistance to the takeup. I'd like to know why they did that.

Coop, Remeber me? We have met atleast twice at Todd/Dustin's CIS classes. I know you asked about a G19 but I just bought a generation 4 G23 from Guns and Leather a few days ago. The most notable difference is the rough textured frame because I have not fired it I cannot give you a range report. Once I find the time (I'm working lots of OT lately) I will fire it and report back if you want me to. Take it easy and maybe we'll meet again. I want to take a class in August and maybe another one in September.

Coop, Remeber me? We have met atleast twice at Todd/Dustin's CIS classes. I know you asked about a G19 but I just bought a generation 4 G23 from Guns and Leather a few days ago. The most notable difference is the rough textured frame because I have not fired it I cannot give you a range report. Once I find the time (I'm working lots of OT lately) I will fire it and report back if you want me to. Take it easy and maybe we'll meet again. I want to take a class in August and maybe another one in September.

Hey, I remember and it was Todd who talked me into the G19 which I did buy a 3rd gen but tradded it off a few weeks ago, but I need to replace it and I've thought about the gen 4 23 but was shooting my buddies gen 3 G23 and I couldn't control it as well as the G19. I have the Gen 4 G17 and it's a great gun and I plan on using for IDPA but already miss the size of the G19. Let me know how the gen 4 G23 feels, recoil wise compared to G19. Maybe I'll go that route.... Thanks.... COOP

Guest Ranman
I know you asked about a G19 but I just bought a generation 4 G23 from Guns and Leather a few days ago.

Not sure if this is correct. All the "in the know" people on Glock talk say that the Gen4 23's are not out yet. The Gen4 19's have been out for maybe 2 weeks....so far everyone on Glock talk says they're 100 percent out of the box....

Not sure if this is correct. All the "in the know" people on Glock talk say that the Gen4 23's are not out yet. The Gen4 19's have been out for maybe 2 weeks....so far everyone on Glock talk says they're 100 percent out of the box....

It wouldn't surprise me if G&L gas the G23 gen 4, they get alot of guns very quickly when they come out due to the amount they sell, hey volume.... Just saying? COOP

Maybe I'm wrong I never saw the rough textured frame-2 before and assumed it was a generation 4.

Guest VolGrad

Gen4 G23s are not out yet.

I picked up a Gen4 G19 on Friday and shot it Sunday. Granted I didn't shoot it side-by-side with either of my Gen3 G19s lest the wife see they've multiplied again ... but my impression was the recoil difference was negligible at best. I will try them side-by-side next outing but really don't think there's enough difference to purchase one based on that factor alone. The trigger is much stiffer out of the box than any previous generation. I will be dropping a GLOCK minus connector in mine soon to see if that helps out any. The size difference of the grip (about 2mm shorter front to back) was noticeable though as was the difference in the texture. I liked the size better and the texture better. That would probably be enough of a reason to purchase one if you want a smaller grip and find the Gen3 guns too slick. Mine ran 100% but we only fired between 150-200 rounds.