Boy killed when muzzleloader explodes near Carter-Sullivan line

Guest TnRebel

Guest TnRebel

JohnsonCityPress.com - Local News - Johnson City, TN

By Staff Reports

JohnsonCityPress.com

webstaff@johnsoncitypress.com

ELIZABETHTON — A 14-year-old boy died soon after a muzzle-loading rifle he was using exploded around 4:30 this afternoon at his family's residence on U.S. Highway 19E near the Carter County-Sullivan County line, Carter County Sheriff Chris Mathes said.

Mathes said investigators are treating the incident as an accidental shooting.

"It wasn't a handgun," said Mathes. "A lot of juveniles, especially here in East Tennessee, have muzzleloaders and can use them to hunt. You probably need supervision, but I don't think there's anything that says you have to."

A rescue helicopter flew the boy to the Johnson City Medical Center, but Mathes said he had already died at the residence. Keep visiting JohnsonCityPress.com for information as it develops.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TnRebel

The local news reported this morning that he was siting in his black powder rifle for this coming season. hunt with his dad. They still have not determined what went wrong. how sad. my heart goes out to the family.

Guest Keinengel

the link says it was a .50 cal ball loaded into a .35 cal barrel. I feel sorry for the kid and family but one of the first things you teach a child about proper firearm use is to properly load the CORRECT ammo. Proper firearm instruction and supervision could have avoided this tragedy.

Guest TnRebel
the link says it was a .50 cal ball loaded into a .35 cal barrel. I feel sorry for the kid and family but one of the first things you teach a child about proper firearm use is to properly load the CORRECT ammo. Proper firearm instruction and supervision could have avoided this tragedy.

I would say that would almost be imposable to do . That would be to much lead to shave off with the barrel. IMHO I know of no 35 Cal. black powder rifles

36 cal. Rifle Balls

.350" Dia.

.50 cal. Rifle Balls

.490" Dia.

.32 cal. Rifle Balls

.310" Dia.80-310$9.50

[/url] .32 cal. Rifle-Target Balls

.315" Dia.80-315$9.50

36 cal. Rifle Balls

.350" Dia.80-350$9.50

.36 cal. Revolver Balls

.375" Dia.80-375$9.50

.40 cal. Rifle Balls

.395" Dia.80-395$10.60

.44 cal. Rifle Balls

.433" Dia.80-433$12.75

.45 cal. Rifle Balls

.440" Dia.80-440$12.75

.45 cal. Rifle -Target Balls

.445" Dia.80-445$12.75

.44 cal. Revolver Balls

.451" Dia.80-451$12.75

.44 cal. Revolver Balls

.454" Dia.80-454$12.75

.44 cal. Ruger Revolver Balls

.457" Dia.80-457$12.75

.50 cal. Rifle Balls

.490" Dia.80-490$13.95

.50 cal. Rifle-Target Balls

.495" Dia.80-495$13.95

.54 cal Rifle Balls

.530" Dia.80-530$16.25

.54 cal. Rifle-Target Balls

.535" Dia.80-535$17.25

.58 cal. Rifle/Musket Balls

(50 Per Box) - .570" Dia.

Edited by TnRebel
to add chart
Guest Keinengel

Naturally the press wouldnt get all the information straight. As it stands regardless of the caliber of the rifle or even the type of malfunction that actually caused the "bang", if it was caused by improper use of the rifle it still seems like parental negligence. Guns don't just blow up.

Guest TnRebel

+1 on that he should of been taught better ... but at one time or the other we all could say we pulled dumb stunts , but didn't pay the ultimate for it. It is still tragic for the family and friends. I know I have two scars on my forehead from taking a claw hammer and hitting a roll of caps on the sidewalk and having the hammer blow back and hit me in the head n>

Guest Keinengel

Playing with explosives is fun! Hence why we are all gun lovers... :D Yeah, I've had my fair share of dumb stunt with my best friend growing up...

7/29/2010 - Boy Dies When Muzzleloader Explodes - Outdoors - Chattanoogan.com

Boy Dies When Muzzleloader Explodes

posted July 29, 2010

Several Northeast Tennessee media outlets are reporting that a teenage boy has died when a muzzleloading rifle exploded.

The Johnson City Press reported the victim is Daniel Eric Adams, 14. The explosion happened Wednesday afternoon.

Investigators are saying the boy's death was accidental.

The muzzleloader is a common hunting weapon these days. According to the newspaper, the police report indicated the boy had loaded the gun with the wrong sized bullet, causing the explosion.

You'd think the media, some media somewhere, once, would fact check a story before reporting it. How the ##@@ does one put too large a bullet in the barrel of a muzzleloader? Whatever the cause, I can't imagine the grief the family is enduring right now.

Just assuming here because I don't know about what happened at all, but I'd say the issue was most likely that he used too much powder. That may be what was said, and the extremely uneducated media decided to call it using too big of a bullet. They don't even know what all is involved in loading one of these guns, or they would realize how rediculous it sounds to say he forced too large of a bullet down the barrel of it. I've been wrong plenty of times, but I don't really see anyone putting too large of a bullet in a muzzle loader. If the boy knew enough to be able to sight the gun in unsupervised, then he most likely knew enough to get the bullet size right, but the amount of powder is something that lots of folks have screwed up on before.

Guest TnRebel

In this mornings paper , they said he put a 50 Cal. ball down a 45 Cal gun ? I have been shooting black powder for over 30 years and know that the barrel would shave the ball down to size and cut a ring around the top . My guess and its only a guess, is he used either a hot load of powder or tried to uses smokeless powder from the wrong can . ??? ether way it should act as a reminder to all of use to not to comfortable with our smoke poles and pay close attention to what we are doing .. My hart goes out to his Family and friends >

Guest Letereat!

My first thought was what typy of powder and how much was used. What a horrible tragedy, the father must be devistated. However, it sounds like a clear case of negligence to me.

Wouldn't using sabots designed for use in a .50 cal rifle (.45 cal bullet in the plastic jacket )if forced into a .45 cal rifle possibly cause this to happen? To be honest I don't know too many people who use lead any more let alone ball. If the sabot was forced, there wouldn't be a ring of lead shaved from the bullet . The plastic shroud would just compress and the hollow point would deform in the barrel with excessive force from the ram rod .

Smokeless powder would be one's first thought.

Wouldn't using sabots designed for use in a .50 cal rifle (.45 cal bullet in the plastic jacket )if forced into a .45 cal rifle possibly cause this to happen?

It would have to be inserted with a hydraulic press.

I'm sure there is an interest in blaming the evil left wing media for spinning this into a web of information, but the statement about miss-sized projectiles and inappropriate powders came directly from the investigating LE agency. Their early estimation is that the youngster may have used reloading smokeless powder rather than blackpowder and a projectile just large enough to build up sufficient pressure to blow the gun.

In any case it is a tragedy and the family deserves sympathy and prayers.

Guest 10mm4me

This is sad. The kid was probably home alone, got excited about deer season, and decided to sight in the rifle. Wrong powder, wrong bullet, double charge...could have been any number of things,

Guest TnRebel

All n all it should ad to a reminder to us black powder hunters to practice safety first and to pass it on to our children and grand children to practice safety first . and it is up to us to pass this on . So fellow black poweder hunters ... be safe out there .

I talked with the Sheriff the other night. He said that the boy tried to load a 50 cal ball in a 45 cal rifle and it got stuck just a little ways down the barrel. He was using pyrodex powder. He tried to shoot the ball out that was stuck and with it being not against the powder acted like a barrel obstruction and it blew the rifle up blowing the bolster and rear part of the barrel apart and sending it back through the boys head.