Gun case Foam cutting

Anyone in east TN have a hotwire set up to do some foam cutting?

Id like to do a case for my AR and extras.

I want to put the AR and scope

Extra Upper

Mags and maybe a Handgun

If anyone has done this and has a hotwire I can use Ill be glad to pay you for your help and time.

Thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cut my foam with a utility knife. had to cut through it in two layers and it came out a bit rough but it works for now. i am doing my case over again and will be getting a new piece of foam. glad i saw this thread as i didnt even know any other ways to cut it.

Guest VolGrad

I've used an electric knife (like you cut turkeys or bread with) with the serrated blades with great success. The trick is keeping the blade straight up and down and to keep it moving. Starting and stopping leads to a choppy look.

Guest Lester Weevils

A trick I've read about but never tried, for open cell foam. Sounds like it would work. Dunno if it would wok.

Get the foam reasonably wet and freeze it in the freezer. Then cut while it is hard as a plank.

Thanks for the reply's from everyone.

I know about the electric knife but have never seen one done that will look as I want it to look.

The freeze thought sounds good but to dry out the foam might take a long time?

Guess I will just buy or build a hot wire set up.

Guest Billetproof

I use one of those utility knives that extend out and you break off the dull blade, that way I can extend it out 1 1/2 or 2 inches to get full cut on the foam I am cutting.

Guest DanE479

There are a lot of sound companies in Tennesse that make their own road cases, and have a lot of experience in cutting foam. YOu might try calling around to see if one of them can help you out. I'm going to get some custom foam cut for my Pelican case for my pistols. I just have to get around to it... The stuff that comes with the cases is worthless...

• 2 years later...
There are plenty of guides to build foam cutters online pretty inexpensively. If you are a pack right you likely have all the things you need sitting around.

Here is a great guide and showing what a little effort with a foam cutter + some quickly made stencils can yield. This thread is what has convinced me to build my own foam cutter when I get around to buying a nice pelican case for my toys.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/292695_Cutting_Gun_Case_Foam__lots_of_photos_.html&page=1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just used a utility knife on this one. Took my time on it and it turned out pretty well.  The tight corners were a little difficult and could have gotten a little closer in when a hotwire cutter, but honestly i don't know if it needs to be that tight of a tolerance for the application.  Sure would speed things up though.  Maybe the next foam i cut, i will build a hotwire cutter.

IMG_1777.jpg

Just used a utility knife on this one. Took my time on it and it turned out pretty well.  The tight corners were a little difficult and could have gotten a little closer in when a hotwire cutter, but honestly i don't know if it needs to be that tight of a tolerance for the application.  Sure would speed things up though.  Maybe the next foam i cut, i will build a hotwire cutter.

IMG_1777.jpg

Looks nice.

Guest ThePunisher

[img=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/sigbrown1297/ar15/IMG_1777.jpg]

Is that the LWRC limited edition AR15?