East Tn TGO Members FEBRUARY 2008 Meet

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAS, you should really try and get Julez to go!! she has a couple of .45's, though they're not 1911's. both are made by an Israeli company called Magnum Research...

She could carpool with skwashdem if she wanted to..or else you guys could carpool with her.

the reason I say this is that she's wanting to go to dayshift and this would be a good thing for her...she needs to get out more.

:(

1911's are fun guns, and can be good shooters. But if I was trying to make a decision on buying one gun it would not make the list. It seems everyone has some kind of trouble with theirs and it takes effort to de-bug them. Doesn't seem to matter how much they cost either, they are hit or miss (no pun intended) on whether or not they operate 100% out of the box.

Your mom is certainly welcome to run some ammo through mine if she wants to though.

Guest Boomhower
It seems everyone has some kind of trouble with theirs and it takes effort to de-bug them. Doesn't seem to matter how much they cost either, they are hit or miss (no pun intended) on whether or not they operate 100% out of the box.

Right on, right on, right on..............

Guest Phantom6
1911's are fun guns, and can be good shooters. But if I was trying to make a decision on buying one gun it would not make the list. It seems everyone has some kind of trouble with theirs and it takes effort to de-bug them. Doesn't seem to matter how much they cost either, they are hit or miss (no pun intended) on whether or not they operate 100% out of the box.

Your mom is certainly welcome to run some ammo through mine if she wants to though.

I'll second that... kinda. 1911's are great guns but I wouldn't suggest one for a novice shooter. For example, since their natural state of rest is with the hammer back then forgetting to set the safety with the thumb lever could mean disasterous consequences. That is just one example of several that can make the 1911 a less than optimal choice for an unseasoned shooter.

Just my :).

I wouldn't suggest one for a novice shooter. For example, since their natural state of rest is with the hammer back then forgetting to set the safety with the thumb lever could mean disasterous consequences.

Excellent point Phantom, even more important than anything i brought up about 1911's.

I'll second that... kinda. 1911's are great guns but I wouldn't suggest one for a novice shooter. For example, since their natural state of rest is with the hammer back then forgetting to set the safety with the thumb lever could mean disasterous consequences.

Not to sound like a broken record (gotta come up with a more up-to-date metaphor....) but this is absolutely no worse than many striker fired handguns, unless the 1911 has a hair-trigger. I have never figured out while a Glock, or other striker fired handgun without a safety, is considered safe but a cocked and unlocked 1911 is a danger to the world.

Edited by Marswolf

sound like a broken record (gotta come up with a more up-to-date metaphor

scratched compact disc :D

Mars, I do not have a lot of first hand shooting experience with 1911's other than the RIA I own. How an RIA's trigger pull compare to other 1911's? Mine has suprised me several times when firing a string from a magazine. I am very careful to keep the booger hook off the trigger unless trained at a target with a safe background.

And of course trigger discipline is the best way for a gun to not go off unintentionally.

Edited by Mike.357

Oh, and Phantom, she wants to try out that snubbie too. If it's .38spl, we already have a few boxes for gramp's .357 (I almost suggested it to her, then I remembered it's their HD gun) Anyone with a suggestion for her that they own, give us the caliber and we'll buy a box or two so she can try it out. I think she has an eye for an XD though, other than the price tag.

hahahahah sounds like its going to be a pistol smorgasborg there.

guys, a 1911 is a heck of a lot safer for a novice shooter than say..a springfield xd series.

the 1911 has 5..count em, 5 safeties built into the design.

the first is as always, the person carrying the weapon.

the second is the grip safety. it won't fire unless you have your had firmly around the pistol grip.

it has a half cock. if you feel uncomfortable carrying it fully cocked, you can carry it at half cock and thumb the hammer back when you decide to shoot.

there is also the slide lock safety...thats number 4.

number 5 is the barrel locking lugs..it will not fire if the the barrel is out of battery..i.e. pushing the barrel/slide up against something. this was useful when the weapon was carried in a full holster..not much use these days..but the other 4 still work quite well!

thats' MY 2 cents.

my .25 cent thought is that if someone manages to shoot themselves with all of these redundancies then they have no business carrying a weapon in the first place.

:rolleyes:

How an RIA's trigger pull compare to other 1911's?

I am very careful to keep the booger hook off the trigger unless trained at a target with a safe background.

I'd say the Rock Island is about average. But 1911s are wonderfully adjustable. For a carry gun, a stiff trigger is better, IMHO than a light trigger.

But the secret is indeed to keep your finger off of the trigger except when you plan to shoot it. That works for cocked and un-locked pistols too. I do not like a carry gun in a condition that isn't ready to fire.

Pokey by that time we will need a new volunteer to hold targets so come on out! :D:cool::D

Aw man, I thought I was the backup to the backup target holder this month? I always get shafted. :D

Guest Scottech

The weather is SUPPOSED to be a very comfortable 60 on Saturday. :cool:

Mike.357,

Corey is planning on bringing the Marlin Model 60. We still have a brick of .22LR left. This is going to be a great East TGO meet, eat and shoot.:D