Yet another 380 comparison question TCP VS LCP

Louisb

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owned a Ruger LCP and now own a Taurus TCP

The TCP just felt better in hand. Not sure what they did differently but personality it didn't quite have the same kick the LCP did. The other thing I like is the fact the slide locking back when empty.

Carry the TCP as my BUG..

Guest VolGrad

I've had a couple of LCPs. I loved them for what they are ... tiny, lightweight pocket guns. Mine were reliable and accurate. I sold them and bought a 238 because I wanted the better sights, better SA trigger, etc. I am now selling my 238 and going back to a LCP. The 238 has been flawless and shoots like a dream but the LCP carries better in the pocket due to size and weight. The reality is at .380 distances the sights really don't make that much of a difference. I can shoot the LCP well enough with its nubs.

I've recently been reading everything I can find on these two, the Ruger and the Taurus. I've handled both and the Kel-tek as well. The feel, the features and the trigger seem to be selling me on the Taurus. Ruger wins in name recognition and reputation, sure, but after you've put a box down range, the feel, features and trigger begin to show-up.

So keep talking, 'cause I still can't make up my mind.

Guest Ae-35

What's most important to you ? Reliability? It is for me, If I couldn't have a J-frame 38, well between the 2, the Ruger is much more reliable, lot more Ftf's and Fte's reported by TCP owners, also many have had problems with the slide not locking open after the last shot ,so much for that feature.Have ya heard of the quality problems Taurus is so famous for, and they're record of CS. is really bad!!! One more thing to consider, if ya buy the LCP and don't like it, you can sell it and not lose much. With the TCP if ya can find a buyer, you'll still lose your shorts. I own a LCP, been 100% from day one. Almost bought my wife a "Pink" TCP, that is until we shot one, or at least tried to shoot one. See her friend had a new TCP, we all three tried for over an hour, Ftf's were the norm, maybe got one whole mag to fire out of every five attempts. My wife said forget the TCP..... she took my LCP !!:poop:

I can't weigh in on the TCP, but my brief experience with the LCP has been very positive. I'm considering giving the S&W bodygard .380 a shot. It's recently been released, so I'll have to see what people say about it after it gets some review time. My only complaint about the LCP is it's size is fantastic for carrying, but a little small with my hand size. I'd be willing to sacrifice some size to get something I could put a better grip on (I have the pierce extensions and still have to 2-finger it). I couldn't carry a gun that ever failed on me. If I had a problem out of one, unless I felt it was 100% ammo related, it would no longer be my carry gun that I would gamble my life on.

I shot a P238 a few weeks ago. I've got to say I was really impressed. So smooth and very accurate. I guess that's what you get for $700...lol

Edited by Kenstaroni

I've been carrying the TCP as my BUG for a few months now. I've shot about 300 rounds through it without a single problem. I traded my KelTec in for one after shooting it. The KelTec and the LCP both have full reset triggers. I couldn't get off a full mag without short stroking one. The TCP has a regular trigger, much easier to shoot, and pretty damn accurate too. Just my 2 cents.

buk

Read alot about both from the web while researching. The reliability for the TCP did have me concerned but I own three Tauri including a 92 that i have put thousands of rounds through in the 15+ years I've owned it without a single problem. After holding both, the TCP just felt better for my grip, combined with locking back after the last round and that was what I bought.

The first time I shot it I put two boxes of WWB through it and started having an issue with a failure to feed/locking back after the fifth round (6-rd mag). I statrted doing 2-shot magazines halfway through the first box and must have ended up with 20 failures. For five shots it was everything I hoped for and more; accurate at seven meters, not that bad of a recoil for a small 10-oz pocket gun, trigger was very smooth, etc. I went back to the range the next week and put about another box and a half of PMC through it at 2-rounds per with only one failure. Most will say that these guns need about 200 rounds to break them in and I will see how accurate that is on my next trip. FWIW, there has been an issue early on with this type of failure and Taurus must have addressed it as the two mags that came with it both seemed to be altered after the fact.

Beware of used Rugers, those with a 370 prefix in the serial number. There was a recall. The weapon was prone to discharge if dropped. They will retrofit the trigger assembly "plus some other functional upgrades that were added since the LCP’s introduction" according to their web site. Free of charge of course.

Guest Major Pain

My LCP is a 370 prefix and was returned to Ruger and repaired. Always check for the diamond mark just behind the hammer. This is the mark Ruger put on updated guns.--MP

Guest Curmudgeon

I've got both the LCP and TCP. The LCP runs flawless on any ammo I've tried. Not one issue. The TCP has been a nightmare. Right out of the box (after thorough cleaning) I experienced double feed jams. This happened on average 2 times/mag, sometimes more. Been back to the factory twice and always comes back the same. Follow the link below for a video I made showing the extent of the problem. And please, no comments about pointing the gun at my chest. No mag, no live round and a spent casing was jamming the slide. YouTube - Taurus TCP Double Feed