Any experience with Skyy CPX-1?

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest TargetShooter84

I'm considering Skyy CPX-1 because of its attractive pricing...I do have another gun (Glock) that I normally use but would like to get another at little cheaper for a buddy to use for target shooting instead of having to share one gun, plus I dont wanna risk anything to happen to my other one (its my baby :D ) if I am on camping trips. I am into 9mm models only. I was wondering if anybody has heard good reviews about the Skyy CPX-1 (either color) or had some experience with it? What about Kel-Tec? I have heard some mixed reviews on that but would appreciate your opinions on both.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skye got off to a bad start with their management doing impersonations. Also, I think it is pretty much an imitation Kel-Tec P11. Some say they like them, but they get some pretty mixed reviews. Still, you never know for sure until you try. Personally, I'd spend just a few more bucks on a KTP11, which has been around for a decade, and is a good 9mm gun for the money. Here's a picture of mine, which I like very much:

green01.jpg

Guest TargetShooter84

Thats a nice gun...not bad, just small is what I need. The Skyy CPX-1 pricing was no higher than $290, how much as in ball park range does the KTP11 usually cost? Does it hold up to 10 rounds?

Guest TargetShooter84
The KT P-11 sells around here for about $269.00, depending on the finish. You can get it blued, parkerized, or hard chromed. Here's a guy who has several listed on his website. Check out the list of new guns:

http://www.silversfirearms.com

Thanks for the info...I think I'll go with KT P-11 instead since you and Rabbi seem to disagree about Skyy's "reliable" reputation, and not to mention, KT P-11 is cheaper than Skyy CPX-1 so I'll hunt down KT P-11 as my secondary gun. I do have another question though, is Gander Mountain/Bass Pro Shop a reliable gun seller? Or am I better off to buy a gun from a authorized dealer such as Coal Creek? Whats your inputs on that?

Just my opinion: It doesn't matter where you buy it, if the gun is right there in front of you, and you can buy it and take it with you. On the other hand, if the dealer must ORDER the gun, buy from a dealer you trust. Sometimes people say they can get whatever gun you want, and then you end up dangling for a month or two waiting for the gun to appear.

Also, KT warranty is good. No matter whom you buy from, if you have a problem, you can FEDEX it to Kel-Tec, and their service is famous for being as good or better than anyone's.

Your KT P-11 probably will be good to go from the box. But I always do a "fluff and buff" on all my new guns. Field strip it and clean and oil it real good before shooting it the first time. If the feed ramp on the barrel looks rough or dirty polish it with some 600 grit sandpaper. If you find any burrs on the slide rails, polish off the burrs. Oil the slide.

You only get one magazine with the P-11. Extra magazines are not expensive. Fill and unfill your mag a few times before going shooting. Get a snap cap and feed it into your P-11 from the magazine, and dry fire the trigger a lot to get used to it. Don't dry fire without a snap cap, as this can damage the P-11. Warning: the P-11 trigger takes a strong pull, maybe 8 pounds. Don't be put off by that. The P-11 is not a range gun. It is not super accurate at over 7 yards. But it is great for what it is: an up close personal self-defense firearm. The strong trigger is actually a welcome safety device for there is no other safety on the P-11.

You may need to experiment with a variety of ammo to see if there is a brand that your pistol doesn't like. Instead of buying 500 rounds of Blazer, get 50 rounds of UMC, 50 of Winchester ValuPak, and 50 of S&B, or whatever, and try them all out. Use FMJ until you are sure that some brand feeds reliably with your P-11. Then start experiment with varieties of hollow point ammo.

If you get a non-reliable P-11, don't feel bad. That can happen with any make of gun. Send it back to Kel-Tec and they will work on it. I had a problem with my P3at, and sent it back, and it has been 100% for nearly 3 years, now. The Kel Tec Owners Group Forum is a great place to go with your problems and questions. The link is: http://www.ktog.org/vbulletin/ and there is another set of forums called the KTRange which is good: http://www.ktrange.org/phpbb2

You can check out my review, too: http://www.mouseguns.com/ideal.htm

Good luck.

I've never fired a Skyy... though I have handled them, and agree that it is an imitation K-T P11.

The one which I have witnessed being fired self-destructed... parts fell off, the hammer snapped in two. Guy was pissed.

Get a Kel-Tec, they aren't much more expensive.

Targetshooter, if you are choosing between Gander Mountain and Coal Creek, I would go with Coal Creek...they had a much better price on my Glock and you get two free passes to the indoor range. They have the KT P11 in stock as of Wednesday night, in fact, I think they had a few to choose from.

The guy who started SKYY was from Kel-Tec. He got in trouble posting phony reviews as if he was a customer on Kel-Tec boards. Plus there is a lot of problems reported on the skyy forum about these guns. Maybe that it is just initial production problems, but I've heard the steel is soft. I'd go with the Kel-Tec.

Guest TargetShooter84
Targetshooter, if you are choosing between Gander Mountain and Coal Creek, I would go with Coal Creek...they had a much better price on my Glock and you get two free passes to the indoor range. They have the KT P11 in stock as of Wednesday night, in fact, I think they had a few to choose from.

SUNTZU, You are right, Coal Creek is the best place...I stopped by Gander today and boy, are they overpriced, Kel-Tec P11 was $320 at Gander while its normally priced at $269. I did stop by Coal Creek afterwards to look at the KT-P11 but they told me that it was on order (must be a popular weapon of choice?) so I guess I'll have to stop by another time because I would like to look at it first before buying. Does anybody know if its a popular weapon of choice?