orginal case value ?

laktrash

When gun shopping how much importance do you put on getting orginal case ? Not necessarily money but more of getting complete package. Its not a deal breaker but I think its a plus. Maybe even helps with history

Edited by laktrash
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest trumpettgriffin

Ever watch the Antiques Roadshow? In terms of the "auction" price, having the orginal box (or even a like original) clearly enhances the item's value.

Of course, not all firearms are antique or, perhaps, collectable. However, trading happens with firearms folk. If I suspect I might be moving it, keeping/having that box seems wise.

It's not a big deal to me to have it. Although I DONT throw one away if do.

Guest mosinon

I've bought a few used guns and I've never even thought about the case. On the other hand, I am about to buy a new gun and I won't throw the case away. I think it comes down to collectors versus shooters. Shooters won't put any value on the case but collectors will.

To a collector, if its not the original numbered to the gun box or case, it detractsfor example.....

I traded a S&W 28-2 6" out of my collection to a shadt used car salesman on here , showed him the tag where I bought it originally, and figured I would be able to get it back frpm him in a week ot 2 for that price. It was a numbered gun, original box, paperwork, including holster brochure and kraft paper. he posted it on here and sold it bin 2 days. Not a huge deal, but easily a $650 gun and he sold it for that.

Didn't think there were any smith collectors around and still kick myself for the trade

You can bet he will never lay his meathooks on the Colt 1911 / 1918 I just bought for my son, although I may let him look at it.

LOL

It's a collector thing. My sister collects Barbie dolls............ she is totally anal over the condition of the box. I guess if I was buying a Python or something with no marks on the cylinder it might matter to me. But I shoot my P7M13......... it is about the only "collectible" gun I have.

For older or rare guns it is a collectible issue. But for newer guns I have found if they are still in the box with accessories they will sell better and faster. So I try to keep everything with any gun I buy. It irks me when I find a gun I want and the guy says " I don't know what I did with the box and extra mag". In my mind the price drops by a fair amount. Plus, if all the guy has is the gun only it makes me wonder how or where he might have acquired it.

I agree with everybody else. If it's a collector type item, having the box will usually make a difference in value. If it's a modern, currently produced handgun, having the original box (or plastic case) may help it sell faster, should you ever need to. The biggest thing a newer gun with the box and papers says to me is that the seller cared enough about the weapon to keep all that stuff, so he probably took good care of the gun. If the box is missing, no big deal. I can look at the gun and decide if it's in good enough shape for me to buy it as a shooter.

Besides, what do most of us do with the cases anyway? They wind up taking up space and collecting dust, not a big deal. The extra mag, well, that has some use and I'd like to have it. :lol:

Guest cheez

Any gun will bring 5% to 10% more with the original box/case. Collector guns prices go way up with the box. Ask any gun store that trades a lot.

Funny I ask this on one of the national forums and I got "I shoot my guns and throw the case away" I just don't understand this train of thought, I mean why not keep it. I shoot my guns too but I wouldn't throw the correct case away. If I felt that way I would at least give it to someone. I just buy for the most part buy to keep or if I wanted to get rid of one, someone would be gettting a nicer package with correct case. Huh I even got a AMT hardballer with the orginal cardboard case and the allen wrench. "I know" but before ya'll hammer me this is a good one maybe because it has a colt barrell and recoil spring

Edited by laktrash
Guest Jcochran88

Laktrash don't worry I still have the first handgun and case (card board box) that I ever bought. It is a Lorcin!! I keep it to remind me what a junk handgun is!