Good clay shotty <$500

Does one exist?

I tried sporting clays a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I was using a Beretta Silver Pigeon III O/U which wasn't mine. While I do plan to someday work up to having one of those multi-thousand dollar guns, I need to live in the real world for now.

So what I'm looking for is a shotty for occasional sporting clay shooting. Probably no more than 4 to 6 times a year at 100 or so clays on each visit. I like a pistol grip because it's more comfortable than a regular stock grip. I'm 6'4" and it's difficult to get my right wrist back far enough to keep a good grip while also seating the stock in my shoulder really well. The pistol grip helps a lot with that, but it's not a requirement as I know it will severly limit my options in shottys.

I have a lead on a deal for a Benelli Nova (for waaay under my $ limit), but don't want to bother with it if it's a poor choice for clays. I'd rather spend more on a better choice than have a shotty that doesn't really work well for what I want to do with it.

So what would be a good choice for sporting clays given a $500 limit? Should I be looking for pump, semi, or O/U?

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told (by the guy with the Benelli) that lesser guns, like an 870 or Mossy 500, won't hold up to an all day shooting marathon.

He's full of feces. I dont know anyone who's ever worn out an 870 . A pump will impart more recoil than a gas operated auto, but I sure don't understand why they wouldn't hold up to shooting 100 rounds of light target loads. Look for a gently used Remington 1100. Wal Mart sells a Beretta 391 auto that isn't very expensive. It is the same action as their more expensive counterparts, but lack the fancy wood stocks and highly polished metal.

He's full of feces. I dont know anyone who's ever worn out an 870 . A pump will impart more recoil than a gas operated auto, but I sure don't understand why they wouldn't hold up to shooting 100 rounds of light target loads. Look for a gently used Remington 1100. Wal Mart sells a Beretta 391 auto that isn't very expensive. It is the same action as their more expensive counterparts, but lack the fancy wood stocks and highly polished metal.

Agreed....anyone who says that about the pumps is totally lacking in any credibility whatsoever.

Benelli is a good hunting gun. Not a good sporting gun. The recoil system will beat you up. DO NOT get a cheap O/U, you will regret it. Get a used Beretta 390/391, a great sporting gun, or a Remington 1100.

And a good pump gun will hold up, but is a not at all a good sporting gun choice.

Agreed....anyone who says that about the pumps is totally lacking in any credibility whatsoever.

Point taken, but the comment wasn't about pumps in general, but about the entry-level pumps, like the Rem 870 or Mossy 500 lines. Either way, I don't think a pump is going to be the right choice for my use. Semi-Auto looks like a better choice since a good O/U is too far out of my budget.

After shopping around a bit for prices on the Rem 1100 and Benelli 390/391, it seems like $500 is too low of a budget to get a sporting gun that I'll be happy with for a long time. That's no problem. I'll just have to wait a little longer to save a few more dollars. Thanks for the input everyone.

it seems like $500 is too low of a budget to get a sporting gun that I'll be happy with for a long time. That's no problem. I'll just have to wait a little longer to save a few more dollars.

This should be written in stone somewhere.....There are many good choices, but the one that you want is what you will be happy with.

My suggestion - Go to a good sporting clays center and try them all out. You will love how the gas operated shotties soak up the recoil.

Guest Conrad

Just my two cents,

I have a Lanber O/U 20 gauge that i bought new for around $500. These guns are made in Spain and are of high quality as far as i can tell.

The first time i took it out to shoot sporting clays i shot a 70. I use it more now for hunting than targets but i have killed doves and ducks with it ( woodies and mallards). I would suggest you check out these shotguns they maybe just what you are looking for. Check out skipsfirearms.com he is a dealer for these and i think he has a 12 gauge with 28" barrel on his website right now for $500 plus shipping.