Anyone attend the University of Memphis?

Guest Joey

I hope to be admitted into the nursing school there during the Spring 2011 semester. Anyone here attend the University of Memphis or the Loewenberg School of nursing there?

I’ve heard the area around the University is pretty bad. Is this true? I’ve only been on campus one time and I don’t remember much about the area around campus.

Also, how active are the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus? I just found their facebook group page and it looks like there has been any activity in over two years.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9102563406

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I don't attend but I do know the campus and surrounding area very well:dirty:. It isn't in the greatest part of town, but it isn't the worst either. It is only about 6 or 7 blocks from Orange Mound though (don't travel south-west away from campus :) ). Do you plan on living on or off campus? If off, come up a few weeks prior and scout places to live. There are a few places real close to campus that are big no-no's. Overall though you will likely be fine. Once you get into town be sure to stop by Memphis Brew, great little coffee shop just across the tracks from campus, plus they are friendly to carry, even OC there.

It isn't in the greatest part of town, but it isn't the worst either.

What he said. I used to be a U of M Police officer before I headed to the 'burbs. If you're from a nice little quiet town with little crime, you may feel like it's a "high crime" area, but if you're from a big city, it's just another area to you. Auto burglaries are off the chart - don't leave anything valuable in your car. If you want to leave your gun in your car, invest in a good car-style safe. Violent crimes, however, aren't that high. There are more cops per square mile in the U of M area than anywhere else in the county, with the possible exception of Beale Street on weekend evenings.

Don't know too many particulars about the School of Nursing or the concealed carry group.

Guest KimberChick
What he said. I used to be a U of M Police officer before I headed to the 'burbs. If you're from a nice little quiet town with little crime, you may feel like it's a "high crime" area, but if you're from a big city, it's just another area to you. Auto burglaries are off the chart - don't leave anything valuable in your car. If you want to leave your gun in your car, invest in a good car-style safe. Violent crimes, however, aren't that high. There are more cops per square mile in the U of M area than anywhere else in the county, with the possible exception of Beale Street on weekend evenings.

Don't know too many particulars about the School of Nursing or the concealed carry group.

+1 I lived on Walker near Highland(those apartments across from the Tiger bookstore and RP Tracks, for some landmarks) for a year. Lots of car break-ins, even in broad daylight, but they were usually because people left stuff in their cars and/or left their cars unlocked. Leave nothing visible, not even a GPS/electronics mount on the window(if the mount is there, the unit must be in the car, right?) and you should be ok. I never had any trouble when I lived over there.

We had a few apartment break-ins, but all the apartments around there seemed to have that problem. I'd recommend looking further away from the campus area for an apartment if you aren't staying on-campus. There's a reason why we all call it the "student ghetto" and it's not really the crime. It's that the apartments themselves are kinda run down and crappy.

BTW, Juicy Jim's on Highland.....zomg, cheesesteaks.....good stuff. :rock:

Guest Halfpint

Graduated from U of M in December 2008, I was a commuter student -- I live in Bartlett, about fifteen minutes away. My job requires that I carry daily, and I would go straight from campus to work, and occasionally back to campus for night courses. I generally stay very low-profile, I'm pretty much the "gray man" and don't draw attention to myself or my vehicle. If you were to look in my car, there's NOTHING visible, ever. Not even CD's on the visor. I would get dressed normally, including spare mags and holster, and then lock the gun in the glove box before I even left the house in the morning. I wouldn't take the pistol out until I was well away from campus, to make sure nobody could make the connection that a Commander-sized 1911 lived in my car about 5 hours a day.

Advice for being on campus . . . learn the layout, it's pretty easy. I've been gone 2 years and I could probably still get anywhere quickly. There are a lot of "emergency phones" scattered on campus, and the officers that are actually on-campus police generally rove around. Also, a small knife wouldn't be a bad idea, if you don't already carry one. (If you're a grown man and don't carry at least a swiss army knife, please turn in your man card now :rock: ) Finally, and I'm not advocating this, nor have I done such a thing, a J-frame in an ankle rig works as very deep concealment.

Guest uofmeet

I went their for five years, graduated back in 07, never felt threaten......but I always tried to be aware of the surroundings....Because it is not a bad area, but it still is memphis.....

Guest db99wj

It's a decent area surrounded by bad areas, with bad people moving through....just like the rest of this city and any other metro city area. Stay north and east of the Park to Highland corner, so in other words, don't go south on Highland south of Park and don't go west of Highland when on Park, that is the Orange Mound area.

Guest jackdm3

You'll eventually go to Brother Junipers for breakfast. And on the weekends you will undoubtedly run into the same panhandlin' sonofabitch sitting on the window sill of the laundry house next door. Some people like the Garibaldi's down from Blue Coast Burrito. There's awesome no-frills Mexican at Las Delicias near Park and Getwell that's packed every suppertime. And next to that is a cool Mediterranean place called the Castle. All of these places you can eat for cheeeep.

The one and only jury duty I've done was for a dude charged with stealing a car on the school's southern main street. Make your personals secret, too.

Edited by jackdm3

I am not a student, but my daughter graduated from there (UofM) in may before moving on to grad school at Ole Miss. My child lived on campus the entire four years without any problems. The university is just like anywhere else in the world(not just Memphis as some would have you to believe)...always watch your six and you will be fine.

Guest KimberChick
I'm "some people".

as am I. Hard notto be when it's literally 20 paces from your front door for a year...and that oddball pizza they make for the lunch buffet, the one with black olives and pineapple, ....ok, I gotta stop before this turns into "best places to eat around U of M" as I loves me some food. I'd have to devote an entire subsection to SuperSub aka Chinese Sub Shop as well....

OK, next question:

Does the University of Memphis let you keep firearms locked up in their Office of Public Safety? I know UT Martin and other Universities have a similar policy.

This is kinda an issue for me since I live about 2.5 hours away from Memphis and will have to move there for a year. It would be nice if I could at least keep a pistol on campus to CC while I'm off campus.

OK, next question:

Does the University of Memphis let you keep firearms locked up in their Office of Public Safety? I know UT Martin and other Universities have a similar policy.

This is kinda an issue for me since I live about 2.5 hours away from Memphis and will have to move there for a year. It would be nice if I could at least keep a pistol on campus to CC while I'm off campus.

You can call and ask. (901) 678-4357

When I was there, we would only do this for off-duty officers who attended classes. Things may have changed (it's been about 4 years since I left). I know that they did for off-duty officers with a recent AG opinion that said he believed they could carry on campus.

as am I. Hard notto be when it's literally 20 paces from your front door for a year...and that oddball pizza they make for the lunch buffet, the one with black olives and pineapple, ....ok, I gotta stop before this turns into "best places to eat around U of M" as I loves me some food. I'd have to devote an entire subsection to SuperSub aka Chinese Sub Shop as well....

SuperSub has some killer egg rolls

Guest tenman

I went to school there back in the late 70's, early 80's, lived in the neighborhood several years and even worked a night shift at the 7/11 at Central and Cooper. Also worked at Garabaldis Pizza, really enjoyed that job :) Seemed like the favorite pizzas were the BBQ, ham and pineapple and the one with everything piled on it sicilian style. Wasn't too bad back then, typical stuff that tends to happen around any major university. Don't know too much about it currently, as was stated stay vigilant and you'll likely be fine.