advice for a new Remington 700 (or other long range rifle)

clarky07

DO NOT GET A LEUPOLD RIFLEMAN SCOPE. They are in the class of a Tasco. Get at least a VXII Leupold to get a decent scope. For the money you really can't beat the Bushnell 3200 scopes. They have very good glass.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikons warranty is not nearly as good as Leupold from what I have heard. I have first hand experience with Leupold and it is excellent. Leupold Rifleman scopes were originally assembled from left over older Vari-X I tubes. These were not one piece tubes like the new ones. I don't know if they changed them later as I don't keep up with them but I would say they are are far cry better than Tasco. Tasco has gone way down since the old days. Bushnell 3200's are good and the 4000/4200 Elites are even better. If you can find the older Bausch & Lomb 4000 Elite you can usually get them in the 6-24 power for 300-350. They are brighter than Leupolds. I have a Weaver V16 (4-16x42)in good shape I would consider selling. It is a Dot with a fine cross hair not a Duplex but it is a pretty good and the scope is in great shape. PM me if you are interested.

Guest miles64

If you decide you want a used leaupold. I have a VX-III 4.5-14x50 that I have mounted on a Rem 700 that I am going to sell for $400 (includes rings). It only has @ 50 rds through it. It is a great scope, I am just switching to a mil dot for sniper school.

Are you a big fan of "Fine China"? They are Chinese. I don't know anything else about them.

lol. not a huge fan of fine china. i was hoping someone had some insight. it "looks" like a nice scope, but as there is pretty much 0 information or reviews about them anywhere i think i'll pass.

anyone have any thoughts on the Sendero? - You must be a member to continue!

I just bought a 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I ended up deciding to put a Millet TRS-1 4 x 16 x 50 on it. The other one I was strongly considering is the SWFA SS 6 x 42. They both get excellent user reviews for the price ($299).

I got my new SPS out to the range today. Very nice .50 MOA groups @ 100 yds w/ 168gr GMM and also 175gr Georgia Arms and Ammo Match Ammo.

Need to take some pics soon of my setup. I also sent out my rebate coupon so that put the rifle at an even better deal.

Well I went to the gun show this weekend and came home with a Remington 700 SPS Varmint with a 26" heavy barrel in .308. I added a Swift scope on a recommendation of a friend and went to sight it in today. The scope was crystal clear even at the top magnification and the gun shot nicely. Just about the time I got it sighted in I ran out of ammo, so no pretty pictures of nice tight groups. Hopefully soon though. Still need a bipod, once I get that I'll post some pics of the whole setup.

Now I'm gonna have to learn how to reload, so I can afford to shoot this beautiful gun.