Open Carry Opinions

I would like to know everyone's opinion on open carry as I do see the topic brought up quite a bit. I personally do not see the point except while at the range, on private property, or hunting. I just feel the negatives out weigh the positives while in public. Please explain to me the benefits of open carry in public though all opinions on the topic is welcome.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not about benefits or disadvantages. If you don't want to exercise your RIGHT to OC then don't do it.

I like to OC occasionally because it's more comfortable than carrying IWB.

I don't see what the big deal is honestly. I've found that when I OC people either don't care or don't notice. And the ones that do notice don't freak out or doing anything crazy.

If you are so concerned with it then don't OC.

edit: and I will say it is a nice feeling to be able to exercise your right to OC and educate the public. I've had a few people ask me how to obtain a carry permit. to each his own I guess

Guest 270win

I don't openly carry a handgun in Tennessee because a permit here does not protect you 100% from weapons charges, such as at all local parks, these silly signs, and school property/events. All can be gray areas and I don't care to get a weapons charge because some bed wetter sees me with a handgun on my belt in a place with a sign, a park with a 'proper sign', or I happen to unknowingly walk on school property in a downtown area. If it is concealed, no one knows and I am not hassled for breaking a law accidently. If my permit was good everywhere like it should be, I would consider openly carrying in public. Until then, I'll just open carry in the woods, range, hiking, my own property/business/office.

If anyone wants to open carry, it does not bother me. The only problem I have with it is that it has the potential to get places posted. The signs at the Old Hickory Mall in Jackson? This guy's fault. I was open carrying at the time.

It's not about benefits or disadvantages. If you don't want to exercise your RIGHT to OC then don't do it.

I like to OC occasionally because it's more comfortable than carrying IWB.

I don't see what the big deal is honestly. I've found that when I OC people either don't care or don't notice. And the ones that do notice don't freak out or doing anything crazy.

If you are so concerned with it then don't OC.

edit: and I will say it is a nice feeling to be able to exercise your right to OC and educate the public. I've had a few people ask me how to obtain a carry permit. to each his own I guess

Probably the single best post I've ever seen in response to an OC thread. I agree 100%

I read a couple already but they were more than 7 months old. I'm looking for someone to tell me the benefits of open carry or why they open carry. I just can't see any benefits that have merit.

Or basically "I just wanted to start my own thread about it because the other 237 weren't sufficient and didn't have username in them."

This horse has been beaten to death all over this forum and I doubt a majority of posters here have changed their opinions in the past 7 months.

I don't openly carry a handgun in Tennessee because a permit here does not protect you 100% from weapons charges, such as at all local parks, these silly signs, and school property/events. All can be gray areas and I don't care to get a weapons charge because some bed wetter sees me with a handgun on my belt in a place with a sign, a park with a 'proper sign', or I happen to unknowingly walk on school property in a downtown area. If it is concealed, no one knows and I am not hassled for breaking a law accidently. If my permit was good everywhere like it should be, I would consider openly carrying in public. Until then, I'll just open carry in the woods, range, hiking, my own property/business/office.

+1

I like the reasoning.

Guest drv2fst

I don't like OC:

1) It bothers people. And bothering people only helps the Anti's go after our 2A rights. I know some will say "I've never had a problem with it bother ing people" but that is a lame argument. Did you expect people who are disturbed by guns to walk up and start sh1t with the guy wearing a gun? IMHO one OC'er damages the rights of all CC'ers.

2) It will get more places posted. People may not complain to the OC'er but they will to the store owner and/or manager. If customers complain, business will post and bye bye OC and CC.

3) It makes us all look like Rambo (or Jack Bauer) wantabe's.

4) If there were a holdup or robbery at a store OC is advertising "Disarm me first!". I like CC so I have a chance at surprise.

If CC were not legal and OC was, sure, I'd OC. But as long as CC is legal that is what I will choose. Unless on private property, at the shooting range, or working security.

I don't like OC:

1) It bothers people. And bothering people only helps the Anti's go after our 2A rights. I know some will say "I've never had a problem with it bother ing people" but that is a lame argument. Did you expect people who are disturbed by guns to walk up and start sh1t with the guy wearing a gun? IMHO one OC'er damages the rights of all CC'ers.

2) It will get more places posted. People may not complain to the OC'er but they will to the store owner and/or manager. If customers complain, business will post and bye bye OC and CC.

3) It makes us all look like Rambo (or Jack Bauer) wantabe's.

4) If there were a holdup or robbery at a store OC is advertising "Disarm me first!". I like CC so I have a chance at surprise.

If CC were not legal and OC was, sure, I'd OC. But as long as CC is legal that is what I will choose. Unless on private property, at the shooting range, or working security.

I think a lot of that is based more on emotion than fact, but to each their own. I've never had a negative interaction while open carrying and I've never had any interaction carrying concealed so it evens out for me. I understand the whole "if a robber sees a gun he may shoot you first" argument, but keep in mind most robbers aren't looking at the customers that closely. They are looking for cops/security and they are trying to get in and out quick.

I also don't buy the whole "if enough people complain we'll lose our rights" argument. OC is legal in many states and look how unpopular the restaurant carry bill was here...we still got it didn't we?

I would be lying if I said a small part of me was not trying to stir some :D up with the post. Whether it has been beat like a dead horse or not, it’s a topic that a lot people both have strong opinions and disagreements on. Makes for both a good discussion and interesting read.

I really just wanted to see if people could come up with legitimate reasons for OC, like Erik88 did, or if they would be based on arrogance, like strickj.

I would be lying if I said a small part of me was not trying to stir some :D up with the post. Whether it has been beat like a dead horse or not, it’s a topic that a lot people both have strong opinions and disagreements on. Makes for both a good discussion and interesting read.

I really just wanted to see if people could come up with legitimate reasons for OC, like Erik88 did, or if they would be based on arrogance, like strickj.

So you just basically admitted to starting a thread simply to stir up trouble? There have been plenty of threads on this and there is much debate to be found if one were so inclined to look, as you obviously were not. Just my opinion, but I would read over the forum rules and then maybe think about why you're on TGO instead of just starting a thread with the intention of watching an argument ensue.

Good enough reason to close this thread for me.