Budget 1911 comparison questions

Dolomite_supafly

I am looking at a few budget guns so I can shoot without feeling guilty. I currently have a Colt Compact in 45 ACP that I don't want to shoot a lot or carry every day. I am not new to 1911's but I am new to all the budget guns.The cheapest I have bought in the past were several Norincos I bought to build but nothing ready to go. Now I am thinking I can save a bit of money and time by getting a budget gun with most things I would want. I know they are not going to be $1000+ guns but I do want the best bang for the buck.

The two I am looking at are the Rock Island Tactical and the American Classic II. Both are in the same price range and have similar features for the money. I do want a 9mm for cost savings but I also want the best gun I can get in the sub $500 range even if it isn't 9mm.

I am wanting a 9mm but the American Classic isn't available in 9mm but the fit and finish seems to be a lot better than the RIA. On the other hand the RIA is avaiable in 9mm but doesn't seem to have the same fit and finish as the American Classic.

If the American Classic is hands above the RIA then I will stick with 45 ACP but if they are about the same them it will definitely be the RIA in 9mm. I plan on shooting whatever gun I get a lot as well as possible carrying it providing it is dead nuts reliable.

Also, if anyone has had any problems with either please let me know.

Thanks

Dolomite

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tanfoglio/EAA Witness Elite Match: probably best $500 gun on the planet. Not a 1911, but kick-ass single-action nonetheless... I like RIA Tacticals but they do need a few things to really be "there", to be on par with an Elite Match they need A LOT.

The longer calibers (.45acp, .38super, or 10mm) will run flawlessly, with the shorter calibers (9mm and .40) you may have to fight some mag issues, but either way they're scary accurate, extremely well made, and will just plain embarrass guns that are in the 3K neighborhood. Only a top-shelf worked-on 1911 will have a better trigger (try and name another $500 piece that comes out-of-the-box adjustable for pre-travel AND over-travel, don't think there's a single other in existence...), and they're WAY easier to DIY-smith on than any 1911, they're a simplified CZ-based design with far fewer parts, really almost Glock-easy.

Oh, you can buy top-ends in different calibers with them too for around $300, just change out the slide and use the new caliber's mags and you're done.

Yeah, EAA may be the worst importer ever, but getting an Italian custom shop fitted gun for such short-money makes having to deal with them tolerable (really you just deal with a guy named Henning though through his Tanfoglio Shop).

No BS, look into them.

Good luck.

Edited by CK1

I am going to be looking at a few ACII's and a few RIA's side by side tomorrow. I will pick the better fitting pistol regardless of caliber.

As I said I would prefer a 9mm but I am set up to load 45 ACP so that can defer the costs some. It is the fact that I shoot ALOT that makes me leary. Just this week I went thru about 750 9mm rounds. This isn't a normal week but a normal week for me is at least 200 rounds. The cost difference, even if I reload, is going to be substantial.

For those of you who have the AC's, what type of dove tail cuts do they have for the sights?

One more thing, how well do they really shoot?

Thanks guys,

Dolomite

Smith: PM replied to

I am going to be looking at a few ACII's and a few RIA's side by side tomorrow. I will pick the better fitting pistol regardless of caliber.

As I said I would prefer a 9mm but I am set up to load 45 ACP so that can defer the costs some. It is the fact that I shoot ALOT that makes me leary. Just this week I went thru about 750 9mm rounds. This isn't a normal week but a normal week for me is at least 200 rounds. The cost difference, even if I reload, is going to be substantial.

For those of you who have the AC's, what type of dove tail cuts do they have for the sights?

One more thing, how well do they really shoot?

Thanks guys,

Dolomite

Smith: PM replied to

Post what you find in the side by side. I'm curious as to how they compare.

there is nothing wrong with budget 1911's. Near as I can tell it is hit or miss as far as out of the box reliability on 1911's no matter what the price point.

I have a GI style RIA and it was unreliable out of the box, but over the last few years it has gotten better. Of course I have tweeked the spring and extractor to get it running right. Plus a lot of rounds down the tube too. Limp wristed shooting will make it fail every time or make it bump fire, dunno

I can honestly say the only 1911 that ran 100% for me was a Norinco. I am sure it is just like you say and that is was probably just a "good" one. I just want something I don't feel guilty about pulling the trigger on a few hundred times a week.

I will look at some RIA but I will be getting a AC based on everything I have read as well as been told. Even a few dealers have admitted that they are better than some of their more pricey guns. I am just hoping I can find one locally for around$475 OTD. I can get the tactical blued version for $436 shipped to my FFL and then a $25 transfer/TICS fee bring the total to $461. I will buy local as long as they dealer isn't gouging too much. I am not going to spend the $500+TAX+TICS one local dealer is asking. I know they have to make a profit but I will not pay $100 more just for the convience of buying local.

Dolomite

"You get what you pay for" applies to 1911's too.

I realize that and I don't expect a $1000+ gun for the money I am going to spend. But their are deals out there just as there is overpriced 1911's. The design has been around long enough that making it isn't rocket science. The rocket science part of it would probably be the metal used as well asas the hardening. And according to all I have read the AC has a forged slide and frame which is true to original 1911 specs. The internals are also cast then machined parts and not MIM like a lot of the more pricey guns out there.

I would be willing to bet that more modern equipment is being used to build these budget 1911's today than some of the older American made 1911's. Now before everyone gets there panties in a bunch. I didn't say the budget guns were better but I bet there are some that are made better than some of the early 1911's.

Even if I could afford to spend $2000 on a gun to use as a beater I still wouldn't. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a reliable gun that would be fun to shoot.

Not directed at you DaddyO, but a lot of people feel a need to bash anything new that might be better and cheaper than what they already own. It still goes on today with all kinds of threads whether it be optics, guns or accessories. As long as the purchaser is happy what does it really matter. I am going into this with a certain amount of expectation, but not a lot. As long as it is reasonably accurate, reasonably durable and able to accept factory parts I will be happy. I am not worried about the finish as it will be getting coated pretty quick. If it does need a little tweaking I am fine with that as well as long as it doesn't turn into a money pit.

Dolomite

How true but not everyone can afford to drive a cadillac. That is why they make ford and chevy.

I have been looking for about 6 mths and been checking all the posts on 1911's. I have been saving my pennies and plan on buying a Springfield 1911 GI compact. only a couple dollars more then RAI and customer service that cant be beat.

Phil has got the good prices on Rock Island. When I can sneak another

one in the house, he'll get my money.

My son's Rock is a fine 1911. As good or better than my Springfield.

"You get what you pay for" applies to 1911's too.

Yes, and $400 is all you need to pay to get a quality new 1911. In my limited and insignificant experience, EVERY penny above that isn't buying ANY reliability or large amounts of accuracy. Just nicer comforts and cooler looks. Ask most RIA/AC owners and they will happily let you compare it to any other 1911 out there. Is a Dan Wesson nicer? yes. Can I shoot a small water melon at 20 yards with either a Dan Wesson or RIA... Yup.

Guest Lester Weevils

How many rounds would you expect a full size 9mm 1911 to hold? Am assuming they would typically be single-stack 9mm mags? Are 9mm 1911 mags relatively standard between brands?

It would be nice to have at least 10. For range play, I usually only load 10 at a time even in my hi-cap 9mm pistols' mags. So 10 would be what I'm accustomed to for range play, if I get a 9mm 1911.

Ok guys for those of you who are following this thread I am going to start a new thread specifically about the American Classic I purchased today.

Dolomite

ETA:

Here is the new thread.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/46092-american-classic-ii-picture-heavy-56k-beware.html#post602352

Edited by Dolomite_supafly