Speaking of Comcast -- Downtime today?

So, for a couple hours, could NOT get on TGO or Survivalist Boards today, using ComCast cable.

What was really odd was that at one point got an "your IP is blocked" from SB.

No other sites affected that I could find.

Used an "anonymizer" and was able to see both TGO and SB off an on.

Very weird, not sure I've ever seen that sort of thing before.

Was this a Comcast DNS prob of some sort or was TGO/SB using some sort of IP whitelist/blacklist that got corrupted or something?

- OS

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you had a problem getting TGO emails lately? I wonder if they're related?

Mike, I thought of that too; think is, I DO use a Comcast addy as TGO registration, but I don't have anything set to actually get an email.

Maybe I'll subscribe to a thread to test ... that is supposed to send one, right?

Oh, wait, I HAVE gotten a few at least in the last couple weeks, when my PM box was full.

- OS

edit: just subscribed for instant email to a couple of threads, including this one.

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Lester Weevils

I had the Sunday morning glacial slow speed on TGO using AT&T DSL. Maybe it was some kind of URL blocking, but if so it wasn't only comcast. I ran Speakeasy Speed Test, and the ADSL was running the expected speed, and other websites were not affected. I assumed the TGO server was having trouble, but maybe it was something else in the spaghetti between my computer and TGO. Dunno.

Have you had a problem getting TGO emails lately? I wonder if they're related?

Okay, here's the scoop.

I subscribed to several threads, got NO emails at my TGO registered Comcast addy, and yes, they had new posts.

Subscribed to several threads at Survivalist Boards, same Comcast addy, got instant emails on new posts.

Changed my TGO email address to my domain email, and got instant emails.

SO...something to do with TGO and send OUT to ComCast addy.

I'll change my TGO email contact BACK to Comcast and see. Maybe simple fact of change shook something loose (tech term).

- OS

Okay, here's the scoop.

I subscribed to several threads, got NO emails at my TGO registered Comcast addy, and yes, they had new posts.

Subscribed to several threads at Survivalist Boards, same Comcast addy, got instant emails on new posts.

Changed my TGO email address to my domain email, and got instant emails.

SO...something to do with TGO and send OUT to ComCast addy.

I'll change my TGO email contact BACK to Comcast and see. Maybe simple fact of change shook something loose (tech term).

- OS

Well, must have gotten close to gumming up whole account.

Changed email back to Comcast...did not get email to confirm, so thought I was probably locked out!

But it didn't seem to take effect, was able to set it back to my domain, got email, confirmed, and still here.

David, something IS going on regarding comcast.net emails!

- OS

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I've had trouble getting on TGO today also, but not just limited to TGO. Hell my cable modem has lost its connection with Comcast several times since Friday night.

Ok... what am I supposed to do about Comcast's mail service?

I dunno. I get emails from the other forum that's using VBulletin. 3.8.6

Is there an outgoing email queue you can check on TGO host to see if things are hanging, or bouncing?

Doesn't seem as if anyone can even register on TGO right now using a comcast.net addy.

I couldn't "confirm" when I changed mine back to it.

- OS

Can you complain as a domain owner? I'm sure gonna complain as a customer. If it's some kinda anti-gun crap. I'll cancel all their services. Most likely just some IT guys being IT guys.

Well, we'd have to prove that Comcast is blocking/bouncing first. I rather doubt they are.

You member of any other gun forums that use the Vbulletin?

EDIT: I just set some subs at defensivecarry.com

Will report.

- OS

edit: That didn't take long. Got emails to my comcast account from both defensivecarry.com (using vBulletin 4.0.5) and xdtalk.com (vBulletin 3.8.1).

Much bigger and better known gun sites, so I rather doubt the mighty comcast has singled out TGO to block, but I suppose anything's possible.

Edited by OhShoot
Well, we'd have to prove that Comcast is blocking/bouncing first. I rather doubt they are.

You member of any other gun forums that use the Vbulletin?

EDIT: I just set some subs at defensivecarry.com

Will report.

- OS

I'm a member of several other forums, but don't normally post. TGO mail is working fine on my other mail account, so it all points to Comcast.

BTW... I doubt it's an intentional block. Probably just the IT boys screwing up.

I'm a member of several other forums, but don't normally post. TGO mail is working fine on my other mail account, so it all points to Comcast.

BTW... I doubt it's an intentional block. Probably just the IT boys screwing up.

See my edit above, two other sites working fine with email notices from subscriptions.

Right. my Comcast mail is working fine. TGO's domain isn't getting through. Maybe David can see some bounces from Comcast.

I'm not sure but what a shared server sends out all sites through same SMTP general envelope, so not real sure TGO gets any unique identifier tied to domain, but David should know the wherefores of that.

I'm not experimenting any more here, as I can't even switch back to my comcast email on TGO, gonna wind up nuking myself or something :tinfoil:

- OS

I'm not sure but what a shared server sends out all sites through same SMTP general envelope, so not real sure TGO gets any unique identifier tied to domain, but David should know the wherefores of that.

I'm not experimenting any more here, as I can't even switch back to my comcast email on TGO, gonna wind up nuking myself or something :)

- OS

I almost nuked myself too. Same deal... no confirmation email. I'll rag at Comcast today.