Need some tent help

Guest mosinon

Every month I pay the mortgage because I want a house to live in. I pay the electric bill because I want AC to make it comfortable, I pay the cable bill because I want to watch TV, I pay for the internet for places like TGO.

Since I spend so much on the comforts it comes as a shock to me that people willingly go camping. And now my kid wants to go camping with a scout troop. Apparently I haven't beaten him enough.

So now I need to buy a freaking tent. I know nothing about this stuff. Do I go Wal Mart? Go high end? Just what should I be looking for? How much should I expect to spend? We're talking once or twice a year. Before it gets mentioned my wife has already rejected the ideas of buying an RV and just getting some garbage bag and dowels.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not super serious about backpacking and whatnot, I'd recommend this tent: Amazon.com: Wenzel Ridgeline 7 X 7-Feet Three-Person Dome Tent (Blue/LightGrey/Red): Sports & Outdoors

I've had mine for years and it's never leaked, it's kept me alive in 60mph wind gusts on Grassy Ridge Bald in the Roan Highlands in -5 degree weather. It's been through conditions where REI brand tents have been destroyed. Cheap. Simple. Light. Reliable. Ugly.

PM Sent. I'll donate one to you if money is tight. I have an extra 2 man dome tent that I don't use. I have some backpacking tents that I take and this one was one I bought so a couple could go with me and my girlfriend on a trip one time and it has only been used once.

By the way to the backpackers....I have had a couple Big Agnes tents and they have been great. The latest one is the Seedhouse 1 Ultra Light. I'm 6' 4" 220lbs and it's super roomy for a one man. My gf is so small that we can actually both fit in it..lol

I have used Wal-Mart tents for years. Obviously not the best in the world, but they are pretty easy on the wallet too. I have taken them back packing and car camping both. For the price you pay, I think it would be a good option for you. They are cheap enough that it will not kill you if your son looses interest, but they are good enough quality that you will get your money out of them for sure.

At some point, if you stay in scouting long enough, you will camp in a rainstorm. As a former assistant scoutmaster and father of an eagle scout who has camped in great weather, torrential rain, and 16-degree weather, believe me, you want a tent that has taped/sealed seams, and a full rainfly. The first tent we bought in scouting was an el cheapo and the first time we camped in a rainstorm I regretted it the entire weekend.

We have also done the ten-day, 70-mile trek at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico (which I highly recommend), so we know a thing or two about the importance of quality camping gear. My best recommendation is to spend the extra money; you will not regret it and it will give you a much better experience. Many new scouts quit because they had a bad camping experience due to inadequate gear.

No offense to anyone, but cheap Walmart gear is suitable for the best weather conditions and not much else. And yes, I am a gear snob.

Check this website out:

Scout Direct Home Page

Registered scouts and/or registered adult leaders can get great quality gear for 45% off retail pricing. I have one of their four-man tents and it is awesome. They also sell samples but you have to be quick because they are snatched up quickly.

Used gear is also a good option. Check with other scouting families; they may have extra gear you can borrow or buy at a good price.

PM me if you want additional recommendations.

Edited by DaddyO

I have been a camper all my life, and have owned several different tents, ranging from very expensive to inexpensive. For a family tent, right now we are using a Coleman tent from either Dick's or Walmart. At first I was hesitant about getting it as I really do appreciate higher quality stuff, but the price was right on this particular tent. I'll say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the way it has held up and would buy another one.

If you are only going once or twice a year, don't spend a lot of money on one. Something like the one above will work fine for you. One recommendation I would give you is to buy one that is a little bigger than the number of people you want to shelter. In other words, if there are two of you camping, get at least a 4-man tent, or if there are four of you get a 6-man. The number of people that a tent says it can sleep are crammed in like sardines. Get a little extra space to put some stuff while you are sleeping in it. The tent we own is a 6-man tent, and is just right for me and my wife. It's got enough room for one of those blow up mattresses, and I can bring in a camp chair if it starts raining and I want to read in the tent.

Have fun!

Guest Lester Weevils

Back in the stone age when I was a scout, we didn't do too much hiking to get to campsites.

If you think you might have to tote the tent 5 or 20 miles, it might be worth paying a little more to get a light-weight tent that packs pretty small. The extra money to get a light weight tent could show rewards even after the first such trek. But maybe scouts don't do that nowadays. Maybe my troop was just lazy, but our campouts were always basically car camping, where weight wouldn't matter.

Back in the stone age when I was a scout, we didn't do too much hiking to get to campsites.

If you think you might have to tote the tent 5 or 20 miles, it might be worth paying a little more to get a light-weight tent that packs pretty small. The extra money to get a light weight tent could show rewards even after the first such trek. But maybe scouts don't do that nowadays. Maybe my troop was just lazy, but our campouts were always basically car camping, where weight wouldn't matter.

Depends on the troop. Ours did both, car (or "pig") camping, and backpacking.

Guest Lester Weevils
Depends on the troop. Ours did both, car (or "pig") camping, and backpacking.

Thanks DaddyO

If there is much chance of long hikes, it would be good before buying to pick up that wally world tent and think about how heavy it will feel after toting it for miles into the woods! :cool:

I like my Columbia tent. It has proven to be very durable and weatherproof. It was more expensive than Wally's but less expensive than North Face and many others. It's a good value IMHO. You might want to look at sierra trading post or Campmor. They have blowout deals all the time on discontinued models. Eureka and Kelty are also other quality brands that may be reasonably priced. I don't consider myself a gear snob but I like to buy that I know will last a good while so I don't have to buy another again next year.

Edited by JReedEsq
Improvise, adapt, overcome! Maybe you can find some Hammer-pants at the Goodwill. :lol:

Yeah! Then when I'm not working on the shelter I can stand in front of the poison ivy and sing "Can't touch this!"

"STOP! Dinner time!"