Cycling

Daniel

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bubruins

I had a good ride in Nashville tonight. I always find it fun to go on a late night run on weeknights down to riverfront and back. There's not much traffic around and it's really neat scenery. Too bad I can't swap my '84 Schwinn World Sport for a Trek Madone 5.2... Just kidding, as I wouldn't dare ride a bike that's worth more than $300 around downtown if I had to lock it up.

Commuting is definitely possible in Knoxville, it usually just takes a little extra scouting/research to find secondary routes through certain areas. I have to be in Court frequently and sometimes I go to more than on Court in a day or else I would do it now. I used to be an "in-house" attorney for a bank downtown and I would ride to the Y, shower there, walk to the office, and at the end of the day I'd walk back to the Y to get my gear and change clothes for the ride home. It was an awesome way to spend a lot of time on the bike without it feeling like "training". I'm also convinced that 2 rides in the same day keeps your metabolism boosted much more than 1 ride even if the total time on the bike is the same.

Edited by JReedEsq

A friend and I will be going out to the Boone Nature Center in Fairview just west of Nashville today. I have to mow the lawn and change my oil before but just wanted to offer an invite. It is a MTB trail nothing crazy but it is a little fun. I want to ride a little but not wear myself out since I plan to race tomorrow. PM for a phone number.

I apparently also have to go with my wife to have her hair cut...

Edited by Daniel

Just saw this thread. I went and bought a new Trek 520 this summer, so yeah, I am a cyclist. Albeit an overweight and out of shape cyclist. I also didn't realize the time commitment necessary to become proficient. I ride when I can, which isn't nearly enough, but at least it's a start. I think I am gonna go for a ride tonight.

I'm a road bike. I have been riding for 2 years trying to become healthier. My father had 3 heart attacks before the 4th one took his life at 59. I decided then I would put up more of a fight than he did to get healthier and try to live long enough to know my future grand kids.

With that said I love to ride and have ridden in the Tour de Cure the past two years in Springfield. I also rode in the sunrise century in Clarksville this year. I am not a fast rider but I love heading out for a 30 to 50 mile day with friends or family.

I rode with Brandon yesterday on his 8 mile loop and will be meeting a friend Saturday in Gallatin for a 30 mile loop. If anyone is looking for a reason to go ride we have a small group that rides the greenways in Nashville every Monday afternoon. I try to ride on the weekends and would be happy to meet new folks to ride with some.

Guest KimberChick
Alright, 8.26 miles at a 13.1 mph average. Not too shabby for an overweight out of shape middle aged dude that recently quit smoking IMO.And this was my first after dark ride, it was very different. I am gonna go pass out now.

Good stuff man! It'll get better the more you ride. The next thing you know you'll be buying some chamois shorts and going clipless :D

Good stuff man! It'll get better the more you ride. The next thing you know you'll be buying some chamois shorts and going clipless :D

When I first started riding my wife asked me how long until I start wearing all spandex. I told her never as it looks gay. Fast forward a year and I have two sets of shorts/jerseys plus another set otw.

Guest KimberChick
When I first started riding my wife asked me how long until I start wearing all spandex. I told her never as it looks gay. Fast forward a year and I have two sets of shorts/jerseys plus another set otw.

I was the same way until I took a job on an island on the Mississippi river. We ride at lunch sometimes and the wind is horrible. Anything that isn't virtually skin tight turns into a parachute. There are still days when the wind coming across the river is so strong that I'm faster off the bike and walking in clipshoes than I am pedaling.

I was the same way until I took a job on an island on the Mississippi river. We ride at lunch sometimes and the wind is horrible. Anything that isn't virtually skin tight turns into a parachute. There are still days when the wind coming across the river is so strong that I'm faster off the bike and walking in clipshoes than I am pedaling.

I have had to ride almost the entire 11 miles home from work uphill in the wind a couple of times. Obviously not all uphill but for the most part it is a slight grade the entire time. A couple climbs thrown in as well.

A little chafing in sensitive areas can be quite the motivator. Walking funny because your muscles are sore is one thing, walking funny because other things are sore is something else entirely.

A little chafing in sensitive areas can be quite the motivator. Walking funny because your muscles are sore is one thing, walking funny because other things are sore is something else entirely.

Don't get me wrong. I wore chamois shorts.. Just under more MTB type shorts. This summer I was riding on a trail solo and it was just ridiculously hot so I took them off and it was like a revelation.

Good stuff man! It'll get better the more you ride. The next thing you know you'll be buying some chamois shorts and going clipless :meh:

Already have both. The shorts came highly recommended by several different folks when I was first looking at getting into cycling and my bike came with clipless pedals so I just went ahead and bought the shoes to go with them. I figured that if I really got into it, I would want them anyway.

Actually i used to race( just local races) then just got so out of shape sitting behind a computer i really haven't rode much in the past 2 years.

I ride a K2 animal ( old bike i know, but i built it up from the frame). And since i'm more into the atving hobby( a whole lot easier and faster), i really haven't had much time to bike. Probably will soon, now that deer season is about upon us.