xRUSTYx

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TargetShooter84
so face to face transactions can't take place across state lines?

that's a bummer :wave: especially seeing as the ky border is all of 20 minutes north.

Nope, no FTF across state lines.

Must be done by FFL to FFL for your safety and legal reasons.

long guns, I think you just have to have one FFL - at the location of the purchase, as a FFL (gun shop) can sell rifles to those who are not state citizens... Handguns may be a different matter...

Double check with pro-gun attorney, to ensure you do not accidentally goof.

What legal requirements are there for it to be shipped from a FFL? I know a FFL must receive the firearm from an out of state seller but I am unaware of any legal rquirement to use a FFL to ship.

Dolomite

No. Your FFL can drive to Kentucky and pick it up in person, or vice versa.

No. Your FFL can drive to Kentucky and pick it up in person, or vice versa.

What I was asking is what are the legal requirements that was mentioned that mandate a FFL must send the firearm?

Individuals can and do ship firearms across state lines everyday. The only criteria is that the firearm must be received by a FFL but it can be sent by a non licensee.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Actually, according to the ATF regulations a person may mail a long gun to another person as long as it is within the same state. I don't know of anyone who has done it but it does read as though it is perfectly legal to do so as long as the person receiving the firearm may legally possess the long gun.

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Dolomite

Yes, you can ship within the state. However… you are required by law to notify the shipper, and as soon as you do that you may well be out of luck. Handguns can’t be shipped by the USPS unless you have an FFL.

If you cross state lines you need to ship to an FFL. You aren’t required by law to ship from an FFL, but many FFL:’s will not accept shipments from private sellers.

FTF Across State Lines?

Is a crime.

I have seen out of state sellers on this forum make comments that they come to Tennessee often. I have always assumed that they were either ignorant of the laws or were ATF agents seeing if they could get someone to bite.

I have seen out of state sellers on this forum make comments that they come to Tennessee often. I have always assumed that they were either ignorant of the laws or were ATF agents seeing if they could get someone to bite.

I have bought from out of state sellers a few times at local shows but not anymore. Now I always ask if the dealer is a TN dealer because I had an issue a number of years ago

I bought a pistol from an out of state dealer who was not upfront that he was an out of state FFL (Kentucky). It was not made known until I had already handed him cash. After paying I was told I needed to find a local FFL to do the transfer. I am sure I looked confused at that point. I argued that he should have told me before I paid him and that the price should reflect that I needed to still pay more. He basically blew me off stating that if I wanted the gun I paid for I needed to have it transferred but I wasn't getting any breaks on price. The dealer was somewhat of a regular at the Knoxville shows but I haven't seen him since.

What turned out to be an decent show price became overpriced because I couldn't find a local dealer that would do it for a reasonable price. I think I paid $50 transfer then the $10 TICS. Which was about 1/5th the cost of the gun. I could have bought from a local dealer and got it cheaper, even with tax and TICS.

Now I make it a point to either go to store fronts or at least know the dealers I buy from before buying. Since doing that I have not had a problem.

Dolomite